CA-Sen: California Quake
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:11:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA-Sen: California Quake
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20
Author Topic: CA-Sen: California Quake  (Read 47896 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: May 14, 2015, 06:20:28 PM »

Loretta Sanchez is not a conservative or a substitute for a Republican. It's not like there is anything Republicans gain from voting tactically.

What do we have to gain by not voting tactically?

Because there would be very little difference in how either candidate would vote in the Senate should either be elected.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #401 on: May 14, 2015, 06:22:01 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Stopping a Democrat presidential aspirant at a state level election, and exacting GOP influence over Democrat primary, and getting more people to want to repeal Prop 14 would be good enough for me.

If the two Democrats make it to the top-two, someone's going to have to do some outreach to GOP voters.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #402 on: May 14, 2015, 06:30:40 PM »

Aware of that. But Loretta didn't do this: http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/SAN-FRANCISCO-D-A-won-t-pursue-death-in-cop-2767716.php.

And tactical voting is used only to defeat an outcome that's undesirable (Sen. Kamala Harris).

No but she did sponsor a bill imposing a moratorium on the death penalty.

http://massscorecard.org/CA/Loretta_Sanchez_Crime.htm

Anyway, you should hope Harris runs for president because it'll just give you guys another chance to demagogue on race and "consolidate the white vote." According to Sean Trende and others that's a winning strategy for your team.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #403 on: May 14, 2015, 06:34:37 PM »

Demagogue? Wow--  this isn't about race at all.  This is about choosing the better person and the best strategic option for conservatives to exact some influence over a race.  If two Democrats make it to the top two, Loretta's team is going to give reasons for Republicans to vote for her. Believe you me.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #404 on: May 14, 2015, 06:46:20 PM »

Demagogue? Wow--  this isn't about race at all.  This is about choosing the better person and the best strategic option for conservatives to exact some influence over a race.  If two Democrats make it to the top two, Loretta's team is going to give reasons for Republicans to vote for her. Believe you me.

The "best strategic option" for conservatives nationally is to polarize the electorate racially and thus capture the Midwest.

In California you don't have a shot, though. Your going to be disappointed with either as Senator.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #405 on: May 14, 2015, 06:49:17 PM »

Do me a favor.  As the campaign gets closer, go take some notes every time a candidate from either party talks about race - see which party talks about it more.  See which party routinely discusses race, and see which party says nothing in response.

As for this race, no, we don't have a chance. That's precisely why you choose between the viable options, even if both options are not your preferred choice.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #406 on: May 14, 2015, 06:54:03 PM »

Do me a favor.  As the campaign gets closer, go take some notes every time a candidate from either party talks about race - see which party talks about it more.  See which party routinely discusses race, and see which party says nothing in response.

The Republicans don't have to talk about race in public to dog whistle about it. They've been taking advantage of it to good effect throughout the Obama presidency.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #407 on: May 16, 2015, 10:00:10 PM »

Aware of that. But Loretta didn't do this: http://www.sfgate.com/crime/article/SAN-FRANCISCO-D-A-won-t-pursue-death-in-cop-2767716.php.

And tactical voting is used only to defeat an outcome that's undesirable (Sen. Kamala Harris).

No but she did sponsor a bill imposing a moratorium on the death penalty.

http://massscorecard.org/CA/Loretta_Sanchez_Crime.htm

Anyway, you should hope Harris runs for president because it'll just give you guys another chance to demagogue on race and "consolidate the white vote." According to Sean Trende and others that's a winning strategy for your team.

^^^^
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #408 on: May 16, 2015, 10:14:14 PM »

Loretta Sanchez recorded at the state Democratic Party’s convention making a gesture seen as offensive to Native Americans.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #409 on: May 16, 2015, 10:48:45 PM »

The goofiest thing about this is that she turned out to be talking about someone of Southeast Asian descent, aka actual Indian-Americans.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #410 on: May 17, 2015, 02:00:35 AM »

Confirms my notions splendidly!  I'm definitely tactical-voting for Loretta now. She's hilarious!

However, she did make a funny joke, so this might disqualify her amongst Democrats. Fortunately we have open jungle primaries.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #411 on: May 17, 2015, 03:19:01 PM »

Confirms my notions splendidly!  I'm definitely tactical-voting for Loretta now. She's hilarious!

However, she did make a funny joke, so this might disqualify her amongst Democrats. Fortunately we have open jungle primaries.

Well, Sanchez definitely has the racist vote locked down.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #412 on: May 17, 2015, 04:26:39 PM »

When asked about it today, Sanchez literally ran away.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #413 on: May 17, 2015, 04:28:53 PM »

Sanchez will always be the woman who took down B1 Bob, and for that she deserves praise.

But her Senate campaign is going to be a disaster, and I'm looking forward to it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #414 on: May 17, 2015, 04:43:22 PM »

She does seem to be running for an office. Tongue
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #415 on: May 17, 2015, 10:31:38 PM »

With her U.S. Senate campaign off to a bumpy start, Loretta Sanchez refused Sunday to rule out the possibility of running instead for reelection to the House of Representatives.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #416 on: May 17, 2015, 11:19:38 PM »

Loretta Sanchez is part native American. They're accusing her of being racist against herself?

Wow. Lib media will now treat her like a Republican because she's running against  the annointed Kamala
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #417 on: May 17, 2015, 11:22:10 PM »

I love Loretta, having met her a few times. But she really needs to step aside this Senate campaign.

But for the record, I thought the story she was telling was pretty funny. However she's not an edgy comedian, she's talking to a crowd of delegates.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #418 on: May 17, 2015, 11:23:46 PM »

I love Loretta, having met her a few times. But she really needs to step aside this Senate campaign.

But for the record, I thought the story she was telling was pretty funny. However she's not an edgy comedian, she's talking to a crowd of delegates.

What story? From the 5-second video clip it looked pretty bad.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #419 on: May 17, 2015, 11:24:23 PM »

Why does she *need* to step aside?  Kamala can't even take a position on an issue. She's having handlers do her talking. Frankly, she frightens me, and I'll be willing to cast a tactical vote for Sanchez if it stops her.  I remember when she was S.F. DA, refusing to seek the death penalty for a COP KILLER. This should DISQUALIFY HER.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #420 on: May 17, 2015, 11:36:09 PM »

What story? From the 5-second video clip it looked pretty bad.

She was telling a story about how she was going into a meeting with a leader of the Indian-American community. The laugh line was the Indian (as in native American) war cry.

Why does she *need* to step aside?  Kamala can't even take a position on an issue. She's having handlers do her talking. Frankly, she frightens me, and I'll be willing to cast a tactical vote for Sanchez if it stops her.  I remember when she was S.F. DA, refusing to seek the death penalty for a COP KILLER. This should DISQUALIFY HER.

I've said before on this forum I'd want Loretta running in 2018 to replace Feinstein. Her or Chiang.

And some people (Harris) are just morally against the death penalty for various reasons. Why stoop to the level of the cop killer by killing him? And why waste a ton of money for appeals, delays, and stays when it's cheaper to throw him in jail for life. I don't think anyone's been executed in California for a decade or so. That is a ridiculous reason to be "disqualified" for office.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #421 on: May 17, 2015, 11:54:16 PM »

Yeah, I took it as meaning that she was told that she was going into a meeting with an Indian-American, didn't know whether that meant Native American or legitimately Indian so she was signaling her confusion to her staff member to find an answer.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #422 on: May 17, 2015, 11:59:20 PM »

But her actions were unprecedented, Josh.  The people of California support the death penalty. We wanted the cop killer brought to justice, even many liberals here in San Francisco. I remember it very clearly. We were deeply hurt by her betrayal. Her actions were called "unprecedented."  

The SFPD cop that was shot by that monster brought tremendous pain to  our city.

Whether you're against the death penalty or not, her liberal zealotry clouded justice. That's why she nearly lost her first AG race.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #423 on: May 18, 2015, 12:01:05 AM »

Yeah, I took it as meaning that she was told that she was going into a meeting with an Indian-American, didn't know whether that meant Native American or legitimately Indian so she was signaling her confusion to her staff member to find an answer.

Exactly. There's no racism here. She's half-native herself!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #424 on: May 18, 2015, 12:04:36 AM »

Come on, Prop. 34 to repeal the death penalty got 70% in San Francisco and 48% statewide. It's not that unpopular a viewpoint.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies