CA-Sen: California Quake
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:13:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA-Sen: California Quake
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20
Author Topic: CA-Sen: California Quake  (Read 48076 times)
CountryClassSF

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: May 18, 2015, 12:09:38 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I get what you're saying, and I'm aware of that. But, over 100K San Franciscans (myself included) voted to retain the death penalty. That ought to mean something.  Many people who are generally anti-DP support the DP in extreme circumstances, such as for terrorists like Tsarnaev and cop killers.

I get your point about her representing SF. but criminal cases are brought upon by the STATE OF CALIFORNIA. It's not "City of San Francisco vs Defendant" It's "State of CA vs Defendant" and her not seeking the DP on behalf of the STATE, was really offensive. Many liberals here were very upset about it. I believe she had the worst statewide performance here of any Democrat candidate in a *very long* time (save Phil Angelides).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #426 on: May 18, 2015, 12:14:41 AM »

I get what you're saying, and I'm aware of that. But, over 100K San Franciscans (myself included) voted to retain the death penalty. That ought to mean something.  Many people who are generally anti-DP support the DP in extreme circumstances, such as for terrorists like Tsarnaev and cop killers.

I get your point about her representing SF. but criminal cases are brought upon by the STATE OF CALIFORNIA. It's not "City of San Francisco vs Defendant" It's "State of CA vs Defendant" and her not seeking the DP on behalf of the STATE, was really offensive. Many liberals here were very upset about it. I believe she had the worst statewide performance here of any Democrat candidate in a *very long* time (save Phil Angelides).

Bustamante also lost in 2006. While her 2010 election was close, Harris did much better in 2014, and did better than some other Democrats, including Newsom.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #427 on: May 18, 2015, 12:15:50 AM »
« Edited: May 18, 2015, 12:19:07 AM by Joshua »

I don't get it. Harris won, albeit narrowly in '10. But she still won as an anti-capital punishment candidate. Republican officeholders in states like South Dakota and Arkansas don't change their position on raising the minimum wage when ballot measures pass in their states. Why would Harris change her opinion based on one Proposition?

[Edit]: And the reason she won so narrowly in 2010 was because Los Angeles came in good for Cooley who was LA district attorney or something. The 2010 campaign was dominated by the Senate and Gubernatorial races. The death penalty issue was largely on the back burner as attention to downballot races was destroyed with the Whitman and Fiorina campaigns.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #428 on: May 18, 2015, 12:19:17 AM »

I don't get it. Harris won, albeit narrowly in '10. But she still won as an anti-capital punishment candidate. Republican officeholders in states like South Dakota and Arkansas don't change their position on raising the minimum wage when ballot measures pass in their states. Why would Harris change her opinion based on one Proposition?

[Edit]: And the reason she won so narrowly in 2010 was because Los Angeles came in good for Cooley who was LA district attorney or something.

She won despite of that, not because of that.  Even in 2012, which had high Democrat turnout here, we rejected repeal of the DP.  In 2010, we would have rejected it by a higher margin.

I don't expect her  nor do I ask her to change her position. (Side note: Amazing how she's ok with partial birth abortion but not executing a cop killer). But she shouldn't allow her personal views to take hold when she's seeking sentencing as a D.A. or an A.G.

We've reaffirmed our support for capital punishment here, and I think it's reasonable to expect the AG to enforce it.
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #429 on: May 18, 2015, 12:22:17 AM »

[Edit]: And the reason she won so narrowly in 2010 was because Los Angeles came in good for Cooley who was LA district attorney or something.

She won despite of that, not because of that.  Even in 2012, which had high Democrat turnout here, we rejected repeal of the DP.  In 2010, we would have rejected it by a higher margin.

I don't expect her  nor do I ask her to change her position. (Side note: Amazing how she's ok with partial birth abortion but not executing a cop killer). But she shouldn't allow her personal views to take hold when she's seeking sentencing as a D.A. or an A.G.

We've reaffirmed our support for capital punishment here, and I think it's reasonable to expect the AG to enforce it.

You still ignored my point. An AG will support capital punishment when the voters vote in someone who supports capital punishment. Just like how Republicans in South Dakota, Arkansas, and Alaska won't ever vote for raising the minimum wage even though the electorate has overwhelmingly approved of raising it. Unless you believe it's time for those Republicans to support wage increases because those states have consistently reaffirmed their support for it?
CountryClassSF

« Reply #430 on: May 18, 2015, 12:38:48 AM »

Those states have an initiative process (I think). if they want to raise the minimum wage and make the cost of a burger up to $6.00, like it is in San Francsico, be my guest. No skin off my nose.

I'm opposed to minimum wage increases because I've seen what it's done to San Francisco. Mom and pop shops are closing.
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #431 on: May 18, 2015, 12:52:13 AM »

Those states have an initiative process (I think). if they want to raise the minimum wage and make the cost of a burger up to $6.00, like it is in San Francsico, be my guest. No skin off my nose.

I'm opposed to minimum wage increases because I've seen what it's done to San Francisco. Mom and pop shops are closing.

You still are ignoring the point, which is that when initiatives/state constitutional amendments pass and continue to pass, politicians don't just change their positions on issues.

And people cast arguably contradictory votes. That's just how it's always been.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #432 on: May 18, 2015, 12:55:20 AM »

I'm sorry Joshua. I'm not trying to ignore your point.  What I'm saying is, as an informed voter what does it matter? You pass something via initiative, what is it to you if a candidate personally supports it or not? It's still passed

The voters of my city passed a minimum wage law, and now they're bellyaching that their left-wing bookstore has to close down.  I hope it was worth it...
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #433 on: May 18, 2015, 01:04:44 AM »

Yeah, I took it as meaning that she was told that she was going into a meeting with an Indian-American, didn't know whether that meant Native American or legitimately Indian so she was signaling her confusion to her staff member to find an answer.

Exactly. There's no racism here. She's half-native herself!

Question: Are you counting Mexican ancestry as "native"? Because I would agree that Mexican-Americans tend to have a lot of Mestizo heritage, but that's not what people think of when they say "Native American".
CountryClassSF

« Reply #434 on: May 18, 2015, 01:08:00 AM »

Per Sanchez, she says she's part-Native American. http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/05/17/u-s-senate-candidate-apologizes-after-war-cry-in-reference-to-native-americans-during-convention/

I think all she was honestly saying was that she confused Native vs Indian  - but it didn't go over well at the convention hall. 

I have always respected Ms. Sanchez. She's as far from a racist as can be.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #435 on: May 18, 2015, 01:18:30 AM »

Per Sanchez, she says she's part-Native American. http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/05/17/u-s-senate-candidate-apologizes-after-war-cry-in-reference-to-native-americans-during-convention/

I think all she was honestly saying was that she confused Native vs Indian  - but it didn't go over well at the convention hall. 

I have always respected Ms. Sanchez. She's as far from a racist as can be.

This the the same lady that claimed that the "Vietnamese" were trying to take her seat.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #436 on: May 18, 2015, 01:31:47 AM »

I know.  I was very upset by that.  But racial politics is nothing new to Democrats. You probably disagree w/ me, but I see it every day here. Its very common.

I think she is a better person than Kamala. We were very hurt by what she did in SF.  

Now, I'm not saying I'm gung ho for Loretta, but if she makes it to the top two, I will vote for her. I also will consider a tactical vote for her against "Republican" Rocky Chavez in the jungle primary, if it means beating Kamala in the general. Sometimes you have to pick the better person.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #437 on: May 19, 2015, 12:35:40 AM »

Borderlands Bookstore is still open.
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #438 on: May 19, 2015, 04:11:34 AM »

I think she is a better person than Kamala. We were very hurt by what she did in SF.  

I'm sure the Kamala Harris campaign will be devastated by the 85% of the general election vote she'll garner in San Francisco.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #439 on: May 19, 2015, 11:17:27 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2015, 11:20:58 PM by CountryClassSF »

I'm sure the Kamala Harris campaign will be devastated by the 85% of the general election vote she'll garner in San Francisco.

Not vs. a Democrat.Her getting 85% of the vote in the city would mean she receives the votes of 100% of city Democrats + near independents. Not going to happen if she faces Sanchez in a general election. Hence my strategy of a tactical vote to advance Loretta past the primary.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #440 on: May 20, 2015, 01:44:57 PM »

I don't think this poll deserves its own thread (58% are undecided), but the Field Poll has Harris and Sanchez making a runoff. Harris leads by a whopping 19-8 margin.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #441 on: May 20, 2015, 03:48:36 PM »

I don't think this poll deserves its own thread (58% are undecided), but the Field Poll has Harris and Sanchez making a runoff. Harris leads by a whopping 19-8 margin.

That would be amazing. A D on D race? Color me interested.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #442 on: May 20, 2015, 05:07:37 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2015, 05:10:11 PM by CountryClassSF »

That would be amazing. A D on D race? Color me interested.

The thing Sanchez has going for her is there are three or four little-funded Republicans running, and if the GOP vote (generally more or less we get up to 40% of primary electorate) is split, Sanchez stands a chance at advancing to the general.  And that's why I'm likely to cast a defensive tactical vote in her favor over the far-left Republican that they will try to shove down our throats this time.

Interesting Q, has there ever been a general election in US history between two members of the same party for the Senate?

Sanchez can easily win a general election against Harris, (53-47 or so) even if she's underfunded -- with a coalition of enough Republicans, moderates, whites and Hispanics
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #443 on: May 20, 2015, 09:33:11 PM »

Sanchez voted against the Iraq War and the Patriot Act, which aren't exactly things that someone very conservative would do, so I wouldn't imagine that many Republicans would be anxious to back her.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #444 on: May 20, 2015, 09:38:01 PM »

Sanchez voted against the Iraq War and the Patriot Act, which aren't exactly things that someone very conservative would do, so I wouldn't imagine that many Republicans would be anxious to back her.

No, but she'll find ways to appeal to us.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #445 on: May 20, 2015, 10:56:15 PM »

No. But in 1-to-1 "top 2" runofff - they will. Just as they did in SD-07 state Senate district recently. And they will be absolutely right: if you can't elect your "dream candidate" because he/she is unelectable in given state, you support  those, who is both closest to him/her and is electable
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #446 on: May 20, 2015, 11:01:44 PM »

Why the heck is she a Blue Dog then? She still has a much more conservative voting record than her sister.
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #447 on: May 20, 2015, 11:03:15 PM »

Why the heck is she a Blue Dog then? She still has a much more conservative voting record than her sister.

Her district used to be a swing district in the 90's until it trended hard Democrat later in her tenure. She never left the caucus.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #448 on: May 21, 2015, 04:22:25 PM »

No. But in 1-to-1 "top 2" runofff - they will. Just as they did in SD-07 state Senate district recently. And they will be absolutely right: if you can't elect your "dream candidate" because he/she is unelectable in given state, you support  those, who is both closest to him/her and is electable

Yep, that's exactly what I'll be doing assuming I still live in the 3rd world Golden State by then
International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

« Reply #449 on: May 21, 2015, 04:48:36 PM »

Yep, that's exactly what I'll be doing assuming I still live in the 3rd world Golden State by then

Your state, one of the primary economic powerhouses of the country that by itself would be one of the world's top economies in terms of GDP, development, as well as infrastructure, is 3rd world because it votes heavily for the left? K.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies