CA-Sen: California Quake
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:20:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA-Sen: California Quake
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20
Author Topic: CA-Sen: California Quake  (Read 48066 times)
CountryClassSF

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: May 24, 2015, 11:01:12 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Southern California does things much better, but the Bay Area has terrible infrastructure. Average speeds of San Francisco MUNI system = 8 mph. http://www.munidiaries.com/2010/07/23/munis-8-1-mph-average-visualized/.

The roads are broken in San Francisco, too. The streets are filthy.

Comment was not related to how CA votes.
Emperor Charles V
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -6.00

« Reply #451 on: May 30, 2015, 05:57:34 PM »

Loretta Sanchez.

She sent far-right Bob Dornan packing. Now she will do the same to far-left Kamala Harris!

Moderates FTW!
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #452 on: February 14, 2016, 01:23:35 AM »

Chávez (R) drops out of Senate race

Sad
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #453 on: February 14, 2016, 01:27:05 AM »

His fundraising was utterly dreadful, so that makes sense.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #454 on: February 14, 2016, 01:57:34 PM »

I've met him, and he's actually a really nice guy. Very strong on veteran issues. The other two Republicans are an utter joke.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #455 on: February 17, 2016, 05:20:29 AM »

It would be really interesting to have a Sanchez vs. Harris race here.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #456 on: February 17, 2016, 05:52:01 AM »

Harris would win.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #457 on: February 17, 2016, 08:25:23 AM »

http://ktla.com/2016/02/16/california-ag-kamala-harris-i-do-not-wish-to-be-considered-for-supreme-court-seat/ - after being mentioned as a nominee for the Supreme Court vacancy, Harris said she's committed to becoming senator, and that she wants to be removed from consideration for SCOTUS.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #458 on: February 17, 2016, 09:05:21 AM »

This helps CCM too due to her involvement  with the 9th Circuit as well.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #459 on: February 18, 2016, 09:19:56 AM »

Does the possibility exist that you have a Sanchez-Harris runoff and Republican votes elect Sanchez?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #460 on: February 18, 2016, 09:57:00 AM »

I don't think this poll deserves its own thread (58% are undecided), but the Field Poll has Harris and Sanchez making a runoff. Harris leads by a whopping 19-8 margin.

That would be amazing. A D on D race? Color me interested.
Thank you, Prop 14, for destroying democracy in California.
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #461 on: February 18, 2016, 12:27:01 PM »

I don't think this poll deserves its own thread (58% are undecided), but the Field Poll has Harris and Sanchez making a runoff. Harris leads by a whopping 19-8 margin.

Prop 14 destroyed democracy in California?! I don't even support the top two primary system.... But this is a proposition that was placed on the ballot via collected signatures, and approved by the voters. Democracy is dead!!!
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #462 on: February 18, 2016, 04:44:08 PM »

Prop 14 destroyed democracy in California?! I don't even support the top two primary system.... But this is a proposition that was placed on the ballot via collected signatures, and approved by the voters. Democracy is dead!!!

I don't think that argument holds water. If the people of a country voted (in a ballot question with the right number of signatures) to install an absolute dictator and never hold elections again, I think it would be fair to call that the death of democracy in said country.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #463 on: February 18, 2016, 04:52:33 PM »

I suspect Sanchez will win.  She will probably get the Latino vote which is crucial in California.  She will probably get some Republican votes while Harris most likely won't get any.  And she's also from S. California while Harris is from N California and S California is more populous.
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #464 on: February 18, 2016, 04:59:57 PM »

I don't think that argument holds water. If the people of a country voted (in a ballot question with the right number of signatures) to install an absolute dictator and never hold elections again, I think it would be fair to call that the death of democracy in said country.

That analogy is irrelevant. Californians didn't vote to end elections as we know it. Switching to a jungle primary is nowhere near that severity.

Ballot initiatives are, by definition, a form of direct democracy.

I suspect Sanchez will win.  She will probably get the Latino vote which is crucial in California.  She will probably get some Republican votes while Harris most likely won't get any.  And she's also from S. California while Harris is from N California and S California is more populous.

Even though Southern California may be more populous, Northern California generally has higher voter turnout levels. But you're still right, Sanchez would win.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #465 on: February 18, 2016, 05:31:43 PM »

Shes an attorney like Cortez-Masto and worked for 9th Circuit, that bolds well gor her with the Scalia nomination fight
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #466 on: February 18, 2016, 06:03:51 PM »

It's true, calling jungle primaries the end of democracy is hyperbolic and my analogy was extreme. However, the "It was a ballot initiative" argument doesn't make sense to me.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #467 on: February 18, 2016, 06:32:59 PM »

They were voting away their own freedom.  Top two primaries disenfranchise political minorities, and are probably unconstitutional.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #468 on: February 18, 2016, 06:46:24 PM »

They were voting away their own freedom.  Top two primaries disenfranchise political minorities, and are probably unconstitutional.

I don't really agree with this argument against them. The main argument against them is that they allow strategic voting, although they're probably not as bad as normal FPTP.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #469 on: February 18, 2016, 07:56:07 PM »

Firstly, Sanchez is very gaffe prone and has said a lot more thing against the GOP. Harris is a lot more affable. It's the difference between some Tea Party guy and Chuck Grassley.

Secondly, the Bay Area has better turnout levels than LA.

Thirdly, the black and Asian votes themselves are hardly insignificant, and Harris will easily lock both of those up along with a good chunk of the white liberal vote based on recognition alone.

Finally, Harris has disproportionate funding on her side.

And as long as criminal justice is a huge concern nationwide and things swing as they do, Harris is going to have a serious edge and could well cut into the Latino/a vote on that alone.

And Sanchez is going to have to overcome all those factors to win...could happen, but very much a longshot.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #470 on: February 23, 2016, 04:38:03 AM »

I'd be a little more excited about this race if Harris and Sanchez hadn't both endorsed Hillary.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #471 on: February 23, 2016, 04:48:15 AM »

1. Top-two primaries disenfranchise politically fragmented groups, blocs of voters who don't unite behind one candidate. This is not a good thing (which is why I prefer IRV or MMP) but it doesn't inherently disenfranchise minorities qua minorities any more than FPTP does.
2. There's nothing about political parties in the Constitution so how in the world could top-two primaries be unconstitutional?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #472 on: February 28, 2016, 01:21:59 AM »

The state Democratic Party endorsed Harris.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #473 on: February 28, 2016, 10:46:37 AM »
« Edited: February 28, 2016, 08:22:08 PM by Malcolm X »

Ugh, why?  He's the worst from both a policy and electability standpoint.

Edit: I'm an idiot, I thought this was the IL Senate thread for some reason.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #474 on: May 25, 2016, 02:14:58 PM »

Long Harris profile in NYTM.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies