CA-Sen: California Quake (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:41:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA-Sen: California Quake (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CA-Sen: California Quake  (Read 48197 times)
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: December 08, 2014, 12:07:20 PM »

Good to hear. I appreciate her service, but it's time for a change.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 12:12:17 PM »

Not surprising. Looking forward to Senator Harris Newsom!
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 08:08:44 PM »

I am very much in favor of the top-two system because it actually gives third parties and independent candidates a chance.  Also in one-party states or districts where the primary is the real election, the winner shouldn't be determined by a low turn-out primary.

By the way, I think a D vs D general election is far more likely than an R winning the seat IMO.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you. How awesome a Newsom-Harris General election fight would be.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 08:23:38 PM »

I am very much in favor of the top-two system because it actually gives third parties and independent candidates a chance.  Also in one-party states or districts where the primary is the real election, the winner shouldn't be determined by a low turn-out primary.

By the way, I think a D vs D general election is far more likely than an R winning the seat IMO.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you. How awesome a Newsom-Harris General election fight would be.

Be interesting to guess a map. Who would become the de facto conservative candidate?

I imagine Newsom? I don't know, both are pretty liberal.

Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 04:11:29 PM »

Even though Sanchez is fairly liberal, California doesn't need a self described member of the Blue Dog coalition to become its next senator. Sorry Loretta.

She's only a Blue Dog because, from my understanding, her district used to be more conservative. I doubt she has any real tie to the faction.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 01:24:37 PM »

California and Texas will never be completely safe for the Democrats and Republicans respectively. They're just too big (and will get even bigger).
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 09:49:33 AM »

Generally, whenever a AG runs for higher office outside of the judiciary there are going to be "scandals" that come out like that. It's not a position that garners you many friends.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 09:18:02 AM »

"California Blue Dogs" are no Blue Dogs in all, but name.

No, she was pretty conservative (not a Parker Griffith, but still). However, that was when here district was a lot more competitive than it is today. She's flip-flopped on several issues and looks like a generic Dem now.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 12:49:52 PM »

"California Blue Dogs" are no Blue Dogs in all, but name.

No, she was pretty conservative (not a Parker Griffith, but still). However, that was when here district was a lot more competitive than it is today. She's flip-flopped on several issues and looks like a generic Dem now.

Agree. But even Parker Griffith wasn't (IMHO) the most conservative even among contemporary Blue Dogs. And absolutely incomparable with Blue Dogs of relatively recent past (Boll Weevils), who included such persons as Larry McDonald, Phil Gramm and Bob Stump (all - Democrats!).

The latter of the two you mentioned became Republicans and stayed that way. Larry McDonald isn't really contemporary, too.

But still, that's true. Harold Ford Jr. was pretty conservative too.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 03:48:36 PM »

I don't think this poll deserves its own thread (58% are undecided), but the Field Poll has Harris and Sanchez making a runoff. Harris leads by a whopping 19-8 margin.

That would be amazing. A D on D race? Color me interested.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies