CA-Sen: California Quake (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:36:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA-Sen: California Quake (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CA-Sen: California Quake  (Read 48239 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« on: February 18, 2016, 04:44:08 PM »

I don't think this poll deserves its own thread (58% are undecided), but the Field Poll has Harris and Sanchez making a runoff. Harris leads by a whopping 19-8 margin.

That would be amazing. A D on D race? Color me interested.
Thank you, Prop 14, for destroying democracy in California.

Prop 14 destroyed democracy in California?! I don't even support the top two primary system.... But this is a proposition that was placed on the ballot via collected signatures, and approved by the voters. Democracy is dead!!!

I don't think that argument holds water. If the people of a country voted (in a ballot question with the right number of signatures) to install an absolute dictator and never hold elections again, I think it would be fair to call that the death of democracy in said country.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 06:03:51 PM »

It's true, calling jungle primaries the end of democracy is hyperbolic and my analogy was extreme. However, the "It was a ballot initiative" argument doesn't make sense to me.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 06:46:24 PM »

I don't think this poll deserves its own thread (58% are undecided), but the Field Poll has Harris and Sanchez making a runoff. Harris leads by a whopping 19-8 margin.

That would be amazing. A D on D race? Color me interested.
Thank you, Prop 14, for destroying democracy in California.

Prop 14 destroyed democracy in California?! I don't even support the top two primary system.... But this is a proposition that was placed on the ballot via collected signatures, and approved by the voters. Democracy is dead!!!
They were voting away their own freedom.  Top two primaries disenfranchise political minorities, and are probably unconstitutional.

I don't really agree with this argument against them. The main argument against them is that they allow strategic voting, although they're probably not as bad as normal FPTP.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies