Newt Gingrich needs you to tell him what a smartphone is called
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:57:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Newt Gingrich needs you to tell him what a smartphone is called
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Newt Gingrich needs you to tell him what a smartphone is called  (Read 1234 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 08, 2014, 04:05:39 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmKVRVX4q-k
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 04:31:56 PM »

While he definitely comes across as clueless, is "smartphone" really an adequate name?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 04:41:05 PM »

Hahah, Gingrich has been talking about this for years. I remember when I was a big time Newt Gingrich for President supporter (circa December 2011 and then again in late January 2012), watching his YouTube videos or reading his tweets about this.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 06:53:17 PM »

While he definitely comes across as clueless, is "smartphone" really an adequate name?

Yes. It is the standard, universal term.

There are "feature phones," which may offer one or two modern conveniences (like a camera or GPS) but lacks access to more robust software-based features, high-speed data or a touchscreen. If there's a physical numerical keypad, you're dealing with a feature phone. Then there are "smartphones," which typically run iOS or Android and offer an expanded app-based feature set and 4G LTE data speed. Most smartphones lack physical key-based input; the few that do typically have QWERTY keyboards instead of numerical keypads.

"Cellphone" is a much more generic term, though its age leads people to associate it more with feature phones. If you're not sure whether the phone you own is a smartphone, then you almost certainly don't own a smartphone.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 07:36:26 PM »

The video is also from two years ago.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 07:47:50 PM »

Hahah, Gingrich has been talking about this for years. I remember when I was a big time Newt Gingrich for President supporter (circa December 2011 and then again in late January 2012), watching his YouTube videos or reading his tweets about this.
Just curious, what did you like about Gingrich so much?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 08:16:50 PM »

The term smart phone wont be around forever.  Who talks about surfing the net anymore?  Or how often do you call them cell phones anymore?

Nowadays one must specify a land line but not a cell phone.

In the future we will just call them phones or something else entirely.  The Germans use "Handy" which is a handy term considering the device will likely be hand held no matter the innovations or added functionality.  "Ja meine Handy kann mein Ass wipen" will be a German phrase in 10years.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 08:47:46 PM »

Is this as bad as Series of Tubes? Not to me
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 09:57:27 PM »

You completely missed my point.  It wasn't whether "smartphone" had become the standard English term for the device, it was that since smartphones have such a wide array of features unrelated to telephony, is the name adequate to describing what it is put to use for by those who would be lost without being connected 24/7 to the cloud?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 10:19:53 PM »

You completely missed my point.  It wasn't whether "smartphone" had become the standard English term for the device, it was that since smartphones have such a wide array of features unrelated to telephony, is the name adequate to describing what it is put to use for by those who would be lost without being connected 24/7 to the cloud?

Well, the vast majority of these features deal with communications in general, and phones (or phone lines, at least) have been the traditional way of dealing with communications of all types. Smartphones are so popular because they're the natural evolution of basic phone service.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 10:33:45 PM »

And besides, we have a name for a smartphone minus it's phone capabilities: a tablet.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 01:08:21 AM »

And besides, we have a name for a smartphone minus it's phone capabilities: a tablet.
Really?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 03:11:52 PM »

I will say, in Newt's defense, that unlike 99.99% of the population [citation needed] he actually knows how to correctly pronounce "Wikipedia." The Wiki rhymes with tiki torch.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 03:20:23 PM »

Just curious, what did you like about Gingrich so much?

He'd have lost the general in a landslide.

Not as fun as The Cain Train, who would have lost in a landslide and been hilariously awesome.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 03:23:46 PM »

I will say, in Newt's defense, that unlike 99.99% of the population [citation needed] he actually knows how to correctly pronounce "Wikipedia." The Wiki rhymes with tiki torch.

When 99.9% of the population pronounces something one way, then it is no longer "incorrect."
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 03:49:06 PM »

When 99.9% of the population pronounces something one way, then it is no longer "incorrect."

It's the population's fault that they don't know how to pronounce Hawaiian loan words.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 09:57:24 PM »

It's the population's fault that they don't know how to pronounce Hawaiian loan words.

Not really, since people still pronounce "wiki" like that when it's on its own, and the standard pronunciation of "Wikipedia" is easier to say.  If you're going to insist on all foreign loan words being pronounced properly, it's going to get very absurd very quickly.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 10:27:29 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2014, 02:57:32 PM by Joe Republic »

Really?

What does a notepad have to do with anything?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 06:33:21 AM »

Didn't he already do this shtick a while ago?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 10:16:47 AM »

Worst Jerry Seinfeld impression ever. Have you ever noticed that you drive on a parkway and park in a driveway. What is up with that?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies