Why is Obama so unpopular? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:04:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why is Obama so unpopular? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is Obama so unpopular?  (Read 9933 times)
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« on: December 10, 2014, 02:59:55 PM »
« edited: December 10, 2014, 03:02:32 PM by blagohair.com »

I don't think he is really that unpopular.  If they asked me what my opinion of Obama is I would probably say unfavorable, but that doesn't mean I dislike him or wish we had a Republican president instead (or Hilary).

I never voted for Obama (I voted for Nader in '08 and Stein in '12) partly because I was living in deep blue states during both elections and an extra vote for Obama wouldn't make a difference but also because I would rather support the person I was closer to ideologically.  While I didn't vote for him I was really happy Obama won both times.  Seeing groups of strangers, people of different colors, ethnic or religious backgrounds celebrate in Union Square in 2008 was one of the most hopeful moments of my life and while I don't think Obama has been a great president, I think his presidency will fundamentally change America.  Having a black president I feel has changed the lives of many black kids around the country, kids who now believe they can accomplish anything (which was certainly not the case before).
I was also really happy he beat Hilary, partly because of what he represented as a candidate, but also because I didn't want a party machine candidate who had voted for the war in Iraq (a vote that told me she either had no political conviction or was a very bad politician, and I feel the same way about Biden and all other Democrats that voted for the war).
Having said that, I couldn't help but feel he was really phony.  What bothered me the most, and the main reason I didn't vote for him was that he came out as a Christian right before the election.  Not because he chose to be a Christian (I have no problem with religious people as long as they don't try to force their beliefs on me), but because of the explanation he gave for why he became a Christian after being raised without a religion.  I was also bothered by the fact that he tried to come out as a moderate on issues where the other side is so far-right.  
I feel that he has done some decent things (Obamacare was a step in the right direction even though there's a lot more that needs to be done when it comes to healthcare in this country) but the fact that he has been more of a follower on more issues than a leader really bothers me.  I believe he is a very intelligent man (unlike most politicians) and his heart is in the right place and that's what makes his presidency more disappointing.  but do I think he is a bad president?  No.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies