The Flipping Mormon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:58:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Flipping Mormon
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Flipping Mormon  (Read 7399 times)
Potus
Potus2036

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2014, 10:10:27 AM »

How did the Senators from Minnesota vote?

Wells tone against, Grams for.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2014, 11:16:55 PM »

Pressuring the President

Kevin: Where are you going?

Kiera: The Senator is giving the Pressure Presser tomorrow. I need to work on it.

Kevin: You're breaking the rule.

Kiera: What?

Kevin: Is there anyway you can interpret this as you trying to work on...leisure...time? Just come back to bed.

Kiera: You're a persuasive guy, Mr. Secretary.

Minutes later, a pager goes off.

Kiera: Goddamnit. It's Beth. I'm needed at the office.

Another pager.

Kevin: There's mine. Funny how that works.

The morning after conference vote is held and the bill is sent to the White House.

Mitt:

My fellow Americans,
      The United States Congress has passed real, meaningful healthcare reform. For millions of Americans, this reform means sleeping better at night knowing you don't have to worry if your child gets sick. For millions more it means that life gets whole lot easier and each paycheck lasts a little longer. For me, it means my dad can get the medical care he needs as he gets older, no matter what. For my wife, it means one less excuse for Tagg to put off grandkids. *laughter*

I am calling on President Clinton to sign this legislation, tonight, without wasting time in secret meetings with your political advisors. Tonight, we have a chance to truly make a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. You can show that you put people before poll numbers by signing this legislation immediately. This bill is good, this bill is affordable, and we have a moral obligation to enact it into law.

If you, my fellow Americans, agree with me that this reform should be signed as soon as possible, call the White House. Ask President Clinton to sign the bill. This is what he campaigned on, and this is what people voted for. Ask him to put his promises to the American above politics. Thank you.

Bill: He's got us by the balls, y'all. I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a team work the media and public opinion the way this guys doing.

Hillary: How did we let this happen? This was Daschle's oversight. Bill, we need to bring it down on him hard. I want him out before the re-elect.

Carville: I've thought a little, Mr. President. I actually can remember the last time I saw someone with these guys' ability. I remember the guy himself. And he's right there, behind that desk you're sitting in.

Hillary : Do you think he wants to challenge us? You told us just a few months ago we're looking unbeatable! You read the same chatter I do, James. You know the Republicans are itching for a two year senator to challenge a sitting President.

Carville: Hillary, keep your panties in order that's not what I'm saying. This guy's gonna be hot sh**t and I think we should be ready for it. But's not the problem what are we doing with this goddamned bill?

Hillary: Kill it. Show the Senators too weak to support our bill that we won't rollover and accept watered down legislation crafted by the right.

Bill: No, Hillary, we're not using this one for political vengeance. It's too big for that. I'll be a small president on the big issues.

Hillary: Mr. President, the cocktail chatter has and will never use "Bill Clinton" and "small" in the same sentence. *pointed stare*

Carville: Hillary, I swear to god I'll kick you out of these meetings if you speak to the President like that in the Oval Office.

Bill: I'm signing it. If you have a problem with it, Madame First Lady, you can call my Chief of Staff. I'm signing it.
sdu754
Rookie
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 10:43:10 PM »

Just read this. Clinton did pretty much what I thought he would, by signing the bill.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2014, 11:02:23 PM »

This will be back this weekend at some point.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2014, 12:15:08 AM »

VICTORY TOUR

Mitt:

"My Fellow Americans, tonight while we celebrate this momentous achievement for the American middle class and small businesses, I am happy to announce that my staff has assembled a tour from the Northeast to Southwest to celebrate America's victory.

I would like to thank everyone that made reform possible. The lead on the project was my dear friend Kiera Krites. Wave at the crowd, Kiera.....Oh. It seems Miss Krites isn't with us this evening. Anyway, thank you to all of my staff, including Beth Myers, for a wonderful success. Thank you all, enjoy the party!"

MITT ROMNEY RAISES 5 MILLION DOLLARS AT HEALTHCARE CELEBRATION

Mitt Romney's political team scored a massive victory with healthcare reform and received a handsome reward. At an event with unprecedented media coverage, Romney received contributions on behalf of a handful of political action committees and his own campaign account. Kiera Krites, the mastermind behind Romney's healthcare strategy, has been credited with building what has become known as "The Romney Network." The Network was responsible for moving massive sums of political money around to enhance Romney's vote whipping effort.

While Krites was not available for comment, Romney press secretary Kevin Madden responded to our request. "Kiera built a massive grassroots organization that, in all my time, is the most powerful infrastructure I've ever seen. She's got talent and the Senator is going places," Madden said...

While you, the reader, may be suspecting that Kiera was...misbehaving when Mitt attempted to recognize. However, she was doing work that went above and beyond the traditional campaign. She was meeting with three men that could take Mitt Romney very far, very fast.

Krites: Good evening, gentlemen. I would like to make it even clearer than I've made it before that I'm acting not as any sort of representative of the Senator. I'm merely a....concerned citizen. *laugh*

Three men: *laugh*

Rubenstein: Mr. Conway here tells me Mitt might be on his way to a much larger office.

D'Aniello: Yes, Will made it clear that he thinks we have a very special man on stage downstairs right now. Someone who can work with both sides of the aisle. AND work with us.

Krites: Of course. The Senator built his own fortune up in your industry, gentlemen. It's how he distinguished himself from Father George.

Conway: Kiera, in this room sits over 8 billion dollars in net worth.  You know how we made that money? Being smart. And being competitive. That's what this country needs; smarts and competition. I've watched that man downstairs and I think he's got what it takes to bring us both.

Rubenstein: My concern is pretty simple. My father made seven thousand dollars a year working at the post office. Romney's was a CEO and a Governor. How can he relate to me?

Krites: George Romney, Mitt's father, was born in Mexico, didn't have a college education and became the CEO of one of America's greatest companies. After that he ran and was elected to be governor of the state he loved. That's the story we all want to tell.

D'Aniello: David, my answer to your concern is this. We shouldn't be jealous of Mitt Romney. We should want to be Mitt Romney. Will and I are in. We need unanimous consent for this.

*pause*

Rubenstein: I'm in.

Krites: Thank you, gentlemen. We're going to make Mitt Romney President of the United States.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2014, 12:40:32 AM »

Post on a radical left wing internet forum:

"Corporate media refuses to cover the fact that three rich capitalist exploiters just created the infrastructure to steal elections!!!1!!!

The three capitalist pigs behind the corporate raider firm, the Carlyle Group, created something they called the "Conservative Trust." This 1% plot to take over the American government works like this:

-The original three contributors have put $100 million dollars into a trust fund that uses a loophole in federal election laws to make independent expenditures.

-The three 1%'ers behind the initial investment recruit other donors who give money to increase the annual payout of the trust fund.

-They use the revenue from the trust fund to flood political races with corporate dollars and buy elections.

You are witnessing the end of American democracy as we know it, folks! THIS IS CRAZY"

The story gained minimal traction. It received three column inches in the New York Times' hackery section:

"Progressive activists are calling for some campaign finance reform measures to stop the formation of the new "Conservative Trust" started by three private equity executives. They are warning that the money earned on the account could be used to influence politicians and buy elections.

At this time, there is no means of substantiating these claims and the only statement from the trustees of the account states only that:

"The Conservative Trust was formed to continue conservatism's history of a strong national defense, traditional values, and economic freedom. The Trust has made no payouts at this time."

The Times will follow up on this story if there are developments to report.

Charles: I admire the innovation shown by the Carlyle Group, David.

David: Daniel told me that it was all the girl's plan. She came up with it start to finish. I'm interested in hearing her out.

Charles: This is her now.

*elevator ding*

Krites: Good afternoon, Mr. and Mr. Koch. We've got a lot to talk about but I'm sure you have questions.

Charles: Yes, ma'am I have a couple. Do you come to us with a plan to defeat Bill Clinton in 1996?

Krites: We have examined the fundamentals of the race and that is undoable. Whoever the nominee is, they'll be taking one for the team. But that's why the Trust is such a great plan. A large contribution today could be used for any year. 96, 98, and most certainly 2000. It's a good investment.

David: What kind of returns are we looking at on the trust?

Krites: Mitt tasked some of the people that hired me at Bain Capital to manage the trust itself. We're expecting 4% annually on an indefinite basis. The trust is secured with public debt.

Charles: I love it. We're accumulating campaign funds off public debt. That'll change their thoughts on deficit spending really quick.

*all three laugh*

Charles: Now, how devoted would the trust be to your boss? What role do he and you play in this?

Krites: Mitt is going to be President. With or without the trust. He will take all comers in 2000 and I will be there to beat them down one by one. Mitt will benefit from the trust because he will be our nominee in 2000. As for me, I am looking to secure the future of the party. The next 2 decades worry me, as a Republican political strategist. A longterm investment is required. The Trust is that investment.

David: So, where do you see the Republican Party with and without the trust?

Krites: If we stay the course, we'll have a couple wins left in us but we'll be fighting a losing battle every election. You won't see anymore 84's or 88's for us. We'll be in decline. If you make the trust large enough to matter, then that will be a very useful tool.

Charles: A tool to achieve what?

Krites: Mr. Koch, I intend to build a permanent, durable Republican majority. The Trust is the best way to do that.

Koch Industries achieved Trustee ranking overnight. The company itself contributed 300 million dollars. Each brother gave 100 million dollars. Kiera was getting the hang of this.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2014, 01:04:09 AM »

The Sun Shines Bright In Texas

Karl Rove had managed to achieve the impossible. It was him who built the incredible campaign that upset one of the nation's most popular governors. He was sitting at the right hand of the second most up-and-coming Republican in the country. The most up-and-coming was a senator from Massachusetts. And to think, Karl was the one who had gotten Beth Myers, his chief of staff, into politics years ago.

Rove's future was set in a Bush Administration. He liked his chances in a Romney Administration. He just hoped that he could keep the Romney team out of 2000 and get them to run in 2008. For now, he had to brief his top donors. A conference call had been arranged.

Rove: Afternoon, gentlemen, I'm gonna make this one pretty quick. I'll be doing most of the talking and I'll take a few questions afterward.

The Governor is going to push tort reform hard. That's priority one. It expands the tax base to get us talking about education. We're thinking about a $500k legitimate damages cap and $100k for "pain and suffering." That should get y'all your money's worth.

The call went on for about 5 minutes as Rove gave the oilmen, real estate developers, and various other moguls the rundown of George Bush's intentions as Governor of Texas. Finally it came to question time and Karl fielded them all expertly. But one caught him off guard.

Pickens: Karl, I've got a meeting with this little lady from Massachusetts tomorrow. She's gonna be askin' for cash and I want to know if she's playing on your team. Her name is *obviously read from a sheet of paper* Kiera Krites.

*tormented pause*

Karl: She's asking you for money?

Pickens: Yes she is, Karl.

Karl: I'll have to get back to you about that one, Mr. Pickens.

While Rove scrambled to see how far his network of millionaires and billionaires had been penetrated, the Romney's were on cloud nine. Mitt enjoyed high name ID and "Romneycare" was giving millions of American access to health insurance and the cost curve was expected to steeply decline. Now came time for budget negotiations with the executive branch.

Mitt:I think the Speaker is going to do something very reckless, Rob. Very, very reckless. We can't play politics with this.......Yes...Yes, yes, I know, Rob. I've heard the speech about advancing our philosophical principles.....Yes. Turn the TV to ABC, I'm about to go on air.

Mitt fields a question on the coming budget negotiations and the chatter around Washington that Gingrich may put stipulations on funding.

Mitt: Look, in business, you can't play around with your investors' confidence. You can't go to your investors, the American people, and guarantee them a return on that investment and then turn around and not pay your bills. That's not how business works. That's not how the real world works. And that's not how Washington should work.

Anchor: So, will you be voting for funding of the government without stipulations?

Mitt: I won't be posturing and playing politics with my principles, so yes. I will support a negotiated level of funding for the federal government.

Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2014, 01:10:17 AM »

New Contributors to The Conservative Trust

Walmart- $150 million
Bank Of America- $20 million
Exxon- $230 million

Total Size of Conservative Trust- $1 Billion Dollars
Rate of Growth- 4%
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2014, 02:08:32 AM »

Bush: My fellow Texans, I am talking to you tonight about two issues, both of great importance. The first is healthcare. Bill Clinton signed a federal healthcare bill that fundamentally changes the healthcare industry. As a conservative Republican and Governor of the Lone Star State, I cannot accept that government takeover of healthcare.

Alongside the issue of federal overreach in healthcare, there is a group of Senators in my own party, the same senators that handed Bill Clinton healthcare reform on a silver platter, who want to surrender in negotiations about government spending. Rather than standing tall and cutting spending, these Senators want to retreat and give the Democrats what they want.

I am talking to you to inform you of two things. The first, I, as governor of Texas, will not enact healthcare reform in our state. The second, as a citizen and conservative, I am calling on Speaker Gingrich and the entire Texas congressional delegation to oppose out of control government spending at all costs. Thank you, God Bless.

Meanwhile, Rove composed an email to the strategic that got Bush elected Governor.

"Friends,
    The battlefield has changed. While before we focused on defining ourselves in the lead up to 2000, we did this because the field was not clear. It is glaringly obvious today that there is another candidate already in the running for a race 6 years from now. Mitt Romney of Massachusetts.

Over the next 6 years, the Romney-backed Conservative Trust alone will contribute $240 million dollars at a minimum to the party. That doesn't take into account the spending by the rest of the Romney network. Several organizations in the Romney network are building grassroots armies to enact the Romney agenda and eventually propel a campaign.

Our pollster has created what he calls the "Primary Composite" and the "General Composite" to test the standing of a certain politician. The Primary Composite has a complicated formula behind it to accommodate bounces in victories and boosts in fundraising. They each give the candidate a score from 0-100. The score gives us a gauge of how well we'll play in the states and the strength of our candidacy.

Previously, our Primary Composite score was at 34. That rating is strong given how far out we are and how the electorate is far far far from defined. Our general was significantly lower at 11 due our distance from the race. Romney is now holding even with us in the Primary Composite scoring 35. That is reason enough to be concerned. However, the most glaring number I found was the General Composite score of 20.

We will not win on electability or on reform-minded conservatism. That was our path to the White House and a little lady named Kiera Krites wrestled that mantle from us. For that reason, I am hereby pronouncing compassionate conservatism dead. We're tacking to the right and we'll build a coalition well to the right of Mitt Romney. This is our way forward.

-Karl"

Bushworld's bleating answered Rove's decision with praise. The decision to out-maneuver Romney on the right was a solid one while still maintaining strength in Texas.

However, the media would never know that the strategy had shifted. There shouldn't even be a strategy, the election was 6 years away. But the media knew now. Rove's remote email server, hosted in Chattanooga, Tennessee was breached by a hacker from the Ukraine and the emails were dumped into the New York Times' inbox.

Kiera had never seen such a perfect storm for her guy. Rove's strategic emails detailing their 2000 presidential campaign were leaked to the press by some Eastern European for less than a million euro. She was reading the paper in Kevin's apartment when she found out.

Madden: What does this mean for the Senator, in your opinion?

Kiera: This is one of the best things that could have happened to us. Bush is going to be severely hurt by this. His number one man let his guard down. Donors don't like that. We'll steamroll him.

Madden: Who do you think the hacker was?

Kiera: Some eastern European. But, I don't know. I guess the sun shines bright in Texas. Even where it's not supposed to.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2014, 02:42:21 PM »

Spending and Scandal

The Romney team had no intention of allowing George W. Bush throw his family name behind Newt Gingrich in an effort to harm Mitt. The email leak had done a lot of damage to the Texas Governor, politicizing his every move. All of a sudden, every breath Governor Bush took was in some way connected to his presidential ambitions. The Speaker had embraced Governor Bush's call to stop spending.

Speaker Gingrich and Governor had embarked on a bus tour of America to stump for a hardline on spending issues. They were met with mediocre success at shifting public opinion. But Beth Myers had obtained a video tape of Gingrich's ex-wife. She had flown to Osawatomie, Kansas where the next Bush-Gingrich bus stop was scheduled. Press had already arrived on the scene before the speakers had arrived.

Myers: Gather round, everyone, I'm here to give you all something to write about. Smiley

Press: Someone get her a television, she's got a tape.

Myers: Ladies and gents, feel free to press play whenever I leave. You'll want to ask the Governor and the Speaker what they have to say about this.

What followed was a tragic recount of Speaker Gingrich's marriage. It played him up to be a thoroughly despicable person and was absolute fodder for the Newt-hating media. Myers had alarmed several national outlets to keep an open line to Karl Rove during her Kansas trip. Now Karl knew why. It was too late for him to alarm the Governor because he had already taken the stage. He asked for questions and the story exploded.

Mitt: Beth, Kiera can you two please come in here?

Beth and Kiera: Do you need something, sir?

Mitt: Beth, your fingerprints are all over this Gingrich marriage debacle. I think we need to lower your profile a bit. I'm going to be moving some of your work over to Kiera for the time being. Until this story dies down a bit.

Kiera: Thank you, Senator. I promise I won't let you down.

Shortly after the marriage debacle, Governor Bush was facing crippling poll numbers among social conservatives nationally. They were set to be his bulwark against Romney nationwide. Romney's Mormonism was fading in their mind as Bush's seemingly close relationship with adulterer and generally awful person Newt Gingrich was plastered across every headline. The Governor was going to try to repair his image with voters in 1996. He was going to stump hard for the nominee and build relationships within the party that was his only way to get back on his horse.

Gingrich was hated. He didn't have a friend in the building. The Democrats were relishing what was happening to their most despised and the party of family values didn't plan on standing by such a person so easily despised by their base. He had no friends at fundraisers. No one at campaign events. No one in spending negotiations. The party turned to Romney to provide some leadership in the Capitol and that meant there would be no spending fight. There wouldn't be a game of fiscal chicken. Romney got a small spending cut, and moved on. Gingrich had been defeated.
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2014, 02:59:34 PM »

Please ask me questions. Help me clarify everything. I'd be happy to.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2014, 03:01:18 PM »

Dole's VP? Dan Quayle? John Danforth?
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2014, 12:33:45 AM »

Just read through. This must go on.