How would past elections go if the electorates had foresight? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:54:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  How would past elections go if the electorates had foresight? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How would past elections go if the electorates had foresight?  (Read 2963 times)
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« on: December 10, 2014, 10:04:49 AM »
« edited: December 10, 2014, 10:10:39 AM by TheElectoralBoobyPrize »

I think the main thing to look for is how the winning party actually did in the following presidential election since that's seen as a referendum, to a large degree, on the previous four years. There are some exceptions..

2012: Seems to be Romney, but I'm going to pass on this one for now since we don't know how 2015/2016 turns out.
2008: Obama by a hair. Yes, he had problems in his first term, but I think voters were just that adamant about not giving the GOP another term after the Dubya presidency. Plus, Palin as VP.
2004: Kerry. No explanation needed.
2000: Bush by a hair. Invasion of Iraq seen as controversial, but otherwise well-regarded in his first term for how he handled 9/11. Also, even IRL he never really got the blame for the '01 recession.
1996: Clinton. Anger over Lewinsky affair countered by peace and prosperity. May be an exception to my rule, but Gore did win the popular vote.
1992: Clinton.
1988: This one's a tossup. Depends on whether voters think Dukakis would have done better on the economy. I guess I'll say Bush Sr. by a hair, because of how well Bush Sr. did on foreign policy and Dukakis wasn't well-liked.
1984: Reagan. Anger over Iran-Contra countered by peace and prosperity.
1980: Reagan.
1976: Ford. Ironically, Republicans would have voted for Carter.
1972: McGovern by a hair. However left-wing he may be, I just don't think voters would have reelected an outright crook.
1968: Um...are we assuming voters would know about Watergate even though that didn't come until Nixon's second term? I see everyone picking Humphrey, but Nixon was fairly popular in his first term.
1964: Johnson by a hair. Anger over Vietnam and social upheavals countered by Goldwater's extremism.
1960: Kennedy by a bigger margin than IRL.
1956: Everyone's picking Ike, but his second term had a number of problems. Still, his personal popularity was too great, so I'll join the bandwagon.
1952: Ike.
1948: Dewey. Truman was deeply unpopular when he left office because of Korea, MacArthur, loss of China (though Dewey couldn't have prevented that...certainly not in one year), scandals, and also McCarthy's anti-communist crusade was still being taken seriously then. Almost everything Truman is well-regarded for happened in his first term.
1944: Roosevelt by a hair.
1940: Roosevelt
1936: Roosevelt
1932: Roosevelt
1928: Smith
1924: Coolidge
1920: Harding. Teapot Dome countered by peace and prosperity.
1916: Hughes. Basically, 2004 with the parties reversed.
1912: Wilson. Disagreeing with everyone, but he was well-liked enough in his first term.
1908: Taft simply because Bryan was seen as too much of a joke. Now, if the Democrats had nominated someone else....
1904: TR
1900: McKinley.

I'm going to stop there for now.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies