Where do you stand on abortion rights?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:12:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Where do you stand on abortion rights?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: See the above question.
I support women having access to abortion.

I oppose women having access to abortion.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 108

Author Topic: Where do you stand on abortion rights?  (Read 3074 times)
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2014, 09:30:45 PM »

Denying women the right to control their own bodies is misogynistic.

Denying someone the right to live is the ultimate denial of rights.  IIRC isn't it your position that abortions are okay right before birth as well?

Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2014, 09:31:47 PM »

Denying someone the right to live is the ultimate denial of rights.  IIRC isn't it your position that abortions are okay right before birth as well?
Hey, TNF's always up for killing the f[inks] out of parasites. Tongue
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 09:42:52 PM »

Option 1 (Believes in human rights)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 09:49:12 PM »

Yes, I believe that access to abortion should be unconditional. I tend to think that living, breathing women should have more autonomy over their own bodies than should creepy men like yourself and those in this thread who have taken it upon themselves to speak in defense of the fetuses of the world who believe that women's bodies should be public property.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 09:54:17 PM »

Yes, I believe that access to abortion should be unconditional. I tend to think that living, breathing women should have more autonomy over their own bodies than should creepy men like yourself and those in this thread who have taken it upon themselves to speak in defense of the fetuses of the world who believe that women's bodies should be public property.

At nine months it is impossible to deny that the fetus is a life.  I can't understand why you would think that it's okay to end its life minutes before birth, but as soon as it leaves its mother's body, that would be murder.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2014, 10:00:11 PM »

At nine months it is impossible to deny that the fetus is a life.  I can't understand why you would think that it's okay to end its life minutes before birth, but as soon as it leaves its mother's body, that would be murder.

Do you actually think that abortions (at least a large percentage of them) occur at nine months?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 10:03:05 PM »

Denying someone the right to live is the ultimate denial of rights.  IIRC isn't it your position that abortions are okay right before birth as well?

At nine months it is impossible to deny that the fetus is a life.  I can't understand why you would think that it's okay to end its life minutes before birth, but as soon as it leaves its mother's body, that would be murder.

Whether or not the fetus is alive is immaterial.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2014, 10:06:46 PM »

In any case, pregnant people of all genders will not magically want to have a baby if the government outlaws abortion. You'll get not just back-alley abortions, but also more infanticide and parental abandonment as well. See Romania.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 10:10:38 PM »

Very very very very very very very reluctantly Option 2 (not a misandrist or murderer)

Instead I support expanding the hell out of sex-ed, Planned Parenthood, contraceptives, not trying to ban the practice and any measure to prevent it from getting to that point in the first place.

Prevention by any means is the best place to start.

But I'm not in favor expansion.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2014, 10:13:56 PM »

I voted option 1, but it were interpreted in the OP's absolutist viewpoint, I'd have to vote option 2.

Before the embryo becomes a fetus, I support access to abortion.  After a fetus becomes viable outside the womb, I oppose abortion save if it becomes the only way to preserve the physical life of the mother. In between, I'm non-dogmatic enough that I'm comfortable with pretty much any set point of demarcation between allowing abortion and not allowing it.  However, I oppose exceptions in the case of rape and incest.  The sole justification for not allowing access to abortion is the view that what is in the womb is already a human life, and that is not dependent upon the circumstances of how it came to be, no matter how vile they may have been.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2014, 10:15:21 PM »

Option 2, with no exceptions.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2014, 10:28:25 PM »

Denying someone the right to live is the ultimate denial of rights.  IIRC isn't it your position that abortions are okay right before birth as well?

At nine months it is impossible to deny that the fetus is a life.  I can't understand why you would think that it's okay to end its life minutes before birth, but as soon as it leaves its mother's body, that would be murder.

Whether or not the fetus is alive is immaterial.

That is a very revealing statement.  Why is one type of killing okay while another is not?  I know you strongly condemn the killing of Palestinians in Gaza (I do as well).  Why are their lives not immaterial?  Are fetuses the property of their mother?

@R2D2, no, but then again it's also illegal pretty much everywhere.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2014, 10:28:45 PM »

However, I oppose exceptions in the case of rape and incest.  The sole justification for not allowing access to abortion is the view that what is in the womb is already a human life, and that is not dependent upon the circumstances of how it came to be, no matter how vile they may have been.

I think this point is too often overlooked in the abortion debate.  An abortion ban with rape/incest exceptions seems to me to be a position that can only come from either the misogyny to which many abortion rights proponents (absurdly) attribute all opposition to abortion, or unthinking moderate heroism.  I like to think that the vast majority of people with that view fall into the latter category, but who knows? 

Not to mention such a policy would be extremely impractical anyway, since the court proceedings needed to prove a rape occurred often last longer than it would take for the pregnancy to end in birth, if I'm not mistaken.

As for my view, I voted for option one, since I think the standard for whether or not it's acceptable to kill something should be whether it is legally a person (since even a sperm or unfertilized egg is clearly "alive"), and that begins at birth.  In short, abortion should be legal because, once we're born, our lives are invariably counted from the dates of our births rather than dates of our conception, "viability", or whatever other standard one uses. 
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2014, 10:47:27 PM »

Option 1 (but I'm not going to be condescending about it)
GaussLaw
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2014, 11:17:31 PM »

Option 2, with the only exception of the life of the mother.

The results are not surprising at all.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2014, 11:28:28 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro-life_feminism

Supporting the life of unborn children is not misogynist. It's like when my fellow dems scream about how people disliking Obama is about race. It is also like when cons turn arguments about welfare to the tiny percentage who use drugs and are "freeloaders."

You look like children when all you can say to people who hold different views as you is "OMG you guys are totally misogynist sexist pigs!!!1!!" It's idiotic and not intelligent conversation in any way, shape, or form.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2014, 12:04:51 AM »

Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2014, 12:35:43 AM »

I chose option 1, but it's comments like this that make me sick to my stomach about doing so sometimes.  It's as dumb as saying "Option 2 (not a murderer)."
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2014, 12:39:13 AM »

Option 1, as long as "having access" does not mean unregulated (as would occur if it were illegal).
Wolverines34
Rookie
United States
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2014, 12:55:52 AM »
« Edited: December 11, 2014, 02:04:23 AM by Wolverines34 »

Option 1
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2014, 01:03:09 AM »

Option 1 due Option 2 being too risky. And no, I won't call those who oppose the legality of abortion "sexist/misogynist/whatever."
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2014, 03:30:54 AM »

Option 2, unless the mother's life is at risk.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2014, 08:28:10 AM »

I'd be against the right to terminate the life of an unborn child if men were the ones who get pregnant too, so I hardly see what this topic has to do with misogyny... (but I understand that it's a useful line).

That's like saying that because you'd be in favor of voting restrictions even if it were white people being disproportionately harmed by them, it's OK that you're in favor of them when it's black people being disproportionately harmed by them. You don't get to make up a fantasy world to give you cover for your retrograde beliefs. Own up to them.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2014, 10:47:09 AM »

No restrictions at all.  It's none of your business or my business what a woman does with her body.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2014, 11:28:55 PM »

Pro-choice
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length