Pros and Cons of a Hillary Clinton/ Elizabeth Warren ticket
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:03:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Pros and Cons of a Hillary Clinton/ Elizabeth Warren ticket
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pros and Cons of a Hillary Clinton/ Elizabeth Warren ticket  (Read 4663 times)
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2014, 09:24:19 PM »

In another thread, someone brought up the possibility of a Hillary Clinton/ Elizabeth Warren ticket. It's been a few times at the Atlas, and elsewhere. The Post has declared Warren as one of the top five potential Clinton running mates.

I really don't see it happening, but I've been proven wrong before.

So, what would be the strengths and weaknesses of this ticket? And what do you think would be your response if an year and a half from now Hillary Clinton stands at a rally in a state university in Florida introducing her new running mate Elizabeth Warren?
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 09:36:14 PM »

Men generally go for the Republican anyways, but damn would this be a huge gender gap.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 04:06:57 PM »

Pros:
- Would enthuse the activists in the party to work harder
- Would double down on the areas Hillary may be going for (history making, embracing populism)

Cons:
- Two women at once may be too much for a country that never even elected one
- Two older women from safe states in the Northeast?
- The media would crucify Warren as the "Democratic Ted Cruz"
- Warren would probably be too old to run in 2024

It seems extremely unlikely.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 08:17:06 PM »

IceSpear, were you saying the media would unfairly or fairly call her the "Democratic Ted Cruz"?  I'd say it's a fairly good comparison.  Both are charismatic, relatively new faces who are seriously annoyed with their party's moderates and trying to drag their parties to the (more) extreme ends of the spectrum.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 08:24:24 PM »

Warren isn't extreme and doesn't pull stupid stunts like single-handedly shutting down the government just for the lulz?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 08:26:42 PM »

I like Warren's views politically speaking, but I don't care for her otherwise.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 08:28:08 PM »

The difference is that Warren is really not that liberal compared to many recent major Democrats like McGovern and Feingold while Ted Cruz represents an unprecedented kind of extremism that, you know, advocates things like government shutdowns.

But yeah, I really don't care for Warren as well and don't understand the hype.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 08:53:19 PM »

IceSpear, were you saying the media would unfairly or fairly call her the "Democratic Ted Cruz"?  I'd say it's a fairly good comparison.  Both are charismatic, relatively new faces who are seriously annoyed with their party's moderates and trying to drag their parties to the (more) extreme ends of the spectrum.

Well, call me when Warren shuts down the government. Wink
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 05:21:16 PM »

This comparison is ridiculous. What positions does Warren have that makes her any more extreme then a generic liberal Democrat? Ted Cruz has a resume of extremist positions and rhetoric, while the main reason the media considers Warren "extreme" is because she actually calls Wall Street out on their actions.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 06:04:44 AM »

Guys, Hillary isn't going to piss off her base of Wall Street fat cats like that.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 01:37:56 PM »

The way I see it...

Pros:
A ticket with two grandmothers could bait Republicans/ conservatives into saying something horrible and sexist.
Warren would be a strong surrogate on financial issues, able to make the Democratic argument.
Warren's background (academic on economic issues) supplements Clinton's (government advisor, foriegn policy) expertise.
Warren excites the base.
If elected, allows for a vibrant open primary in 2024 when Warren probably won't run for Prez.

Cons:
Warren isn't exactly from a geographically useful region.
Warren is easy to caricature.
A ticket with two 60-something white grandmothers is likely to be less diverse than whatever Republicans go for.
Warren has won one election in a very liberal state in a great year for the party.
Warren might go off-message.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 03:12:20 PM »

I don't really see what Warren has to gain from leaving the senate and becoming Joe Biden.

Basically whenever a candidate picks a wild card Veep to "excite the base" it always blows up in the parties face.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 03:34:40 PM »

I don't really see what Warren has to gain from leaving the senate and becoming Joe Biden.

Basically whenever a candidate picks a wild card Veep to "excite the base" it always blows up in the parties face.

Warren isn't the gaffe machine that Biden is, but you are right.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 03:45:44 PM »

The best position for Warren would have been head of the CFPB. A friend of mine had a good point, Cordray is fine but he doesn't have Warren's profile. The public needs to see a good bureaucrat who is genuinely concerned with the interests of the consumer. Warren fits that role perfectly, even better than being in the Senate, IMO. As vice president, she would be Hubert Humphreyed.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 04:06:56 PM »

Warren isn't the gaffe machine that Biden is, but you are right.
Pretty sure he's actually referring to this. Biden (older, very experienced white guy) was pretty much the epitome of a safe choice.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 04:46:42 PM »

Palin. Quayle. Edwards. Ferraro. A good VP choice should, it seems, be dull and without the tendency to overshadow the candidate. Very few people care about the Vice President unless they are nuts - it's kind of telling that in the vast majority of scenario the more "off-the-wall" veep candidate belongs to the losing ticket.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2014, 06:41:59 PM »

I'd be extremely disappointed if Warren were taken out of the Senate and stuck in the Vice Presidency.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2014, 08:02:36 PM »

I doubt the Democrats put two white people on the ticket when their electoral success is based on minority support and turnout.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2014, 10:28:53 AM »

Myra Adams of the National Review suggested one more benefit of the ticket for Hillary: It gets Elizabeth Warren out of the Senate.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/395321/clintonwarren-2016-myra-adams

It also puts arguably the two most prominent Democrats on the same ticket.
HillaryLandslide2016
Rookie

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 01:08:30 PM »

I doubt the Democrats put two white people on the ticket when their electoral success is based on minority support and turnout.

Minorities turned out for Democratic Senate candidates this year, but they weren't able to overcome the amount of votes cast by racist, sexist, old, white, Southern men. In 2016, they will turn out in even larger numbers. Hillary's strength among white women is another important factor. If she wins white women by 15 points, there will be no need for her to do well among minorities.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies