About what year did support for slavery in the former CSA fall below 50%?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:59:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  About what year did support for slavery in the former CSA fall below 50%?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: About what year did support for slavery in the former CSA fall below 50%?  (Read 1115 times)
Nichlemn

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2014, 09:28:17 PM »

(Voters only, since obviously few blacks could vote in practice).

Based on Lincoln 1860 votes, abolitionism was virtually non-existent in the South prior to the Civil War. What about afterwards? I imagine a large majority of the South would still have supported slavery in 1865. How about 1880? 1900? 1950?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 10:00:47 PM »

Hard to say.  Maybe as early as 1880, but at that early date it would not be because a majority thought that slavery was a moral wrong but because it led to a weak society that was unable to defend itself from Yankee aggression.  Early 20th century sounds more reasonable, but again, only because of how slavery contributed to the Lost Cause mythology rather than any general sense of it being morally wrong.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 01:22:32 AM »

A related question would be up until when would a majority of Southern whites have supported segregation? I'm think mid-Eighties or early Nineties.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 01:56:10 PM »

I would imagine after a generation or two.  I'm sure even the most racist people realized that it was impossible to re-enslave the freedmen.

As for segregation, I would argue that in some southern states (not all) a majority of whites still is in favor of it.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 02:21:03 PM »

I would imagine after a generation or two.  I'm sure even the most racist people realized that it was impossible to re-enslave the freedmen.

As for segregation, I would argue that in some southern states (not all) a majority of whites still is in favor of it.

I don't know if a majority in any state would say, even in a confidential poll, that they support segregation in public schools enforced by law, but I wouldn't be surprised if a healthy majority strongly opposed efforts at promoting additional integration.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 03:42:05 PM »

Reviving slavery once it was abolished was a fool's errand. Would someone whose opinion was "slavery isn't coming back, we need to deal with life without it, but it was nice while it lasted" or some such be considered supporting of slavery in your definition? That's where a lot of southerners were.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 04:10:03 PM »

If we are talking about people who believed that slavery was justified in its time because the blacks needed to be brought to America and learn Christianity and that most slaveowners were really not so bad, then probably not until the 1970s.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies