Washington Post: Santorum is running in 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:06:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Washington Post: Santorum is running in 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Washington Post: Santorum is running in 2016  (Read 4645 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2014, 06:43:53 PM »

Santorum surged in December of 2011 last year, and reached his peak in February of 2012 (and I don't think the surged even seemed possible until it seemed clear Cain/Gingrich/Perry were all duds). If he's learned a lesson from his last go, it's that no candidate included in the debates can just be discounted.

I don't think he can do as well as in 2012, but after his 2012 performance he should be able to stay relevant, a part of the discussion, promoting his views, which is a significant victory in and of itself. Depending on how Tom Wolf's tenure goes, perhaps he can run for PA Gov in 2018 or 2022, build up relevancy, and then run again at some point in the mid-2020s; he's still only 56 years old and has time to do this sort of thing. Running in 2016 will keep his name in the news.
If the 2018 midterms turn out to be a disaster for the Democrats, could Rick Santorum successfully mount a comeback against Bob Casey or is that out of the question?

LOL at both of these possibilities. I assume neither of you guys have seen Santorum's favorability ratings in PA?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 07:02:05 PM »

Santorum surged in December of 2011 last year, and reached his peak in February of 2012 (and I don't think the surged even seemed possible until it seemed clear Cain/Gingrich/Perry were all duds). If he's learned a lesson from his last go, it's that no candidate included in the debates can just be discounted.

I don't think he can do as well as in 2012, but after his 2012 performance he should be able to stay relevant, a part of the discussion, promoting his views, which is a significant victory in and of itself. Depending on how Tom Wolf's tenure goes, perhaps he can run for PA Gov in 2018 or 2022, build up relevancy, and then run again at some point in the mid-2020s; he's still only 56 years old and has time to do this sort of thing. Running in 2016 will keep his name in the news.
If the 2018 midterms turn out to be a disaster for the Democrats, could Rick Santorum successfully mount a comeback against Bob Casey or is that out of the question?

LOL at both of these possibilities. I assume neither of you guys have seen Santorum's favorability ratings in PA?

Has there actually been a recent poll taken on his favorability? All I was able to find was the exit poll from 2014, where only 23% of Pennsylvanians said he would make a good president, but that's a different question from favorability. PPP polled him in a Pennsylvania Republican presidential primary in June, he placed 8th with only 8% of the vote, ahead of only Ryan and Walker, and even trailing 'other', but again, that's a different question from favorability.

That being said, I'd be surprised if he's in or close to positive favorability in his home state.

For what it's worth, nationally Santorum isn't terrible - he's at 22/26 favorability as of July. It's interesting that a majority of the U.S. population don't have an opinion of him despite the fact that he almost won the republican nomination last time:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/173402/clinton-best-known-best-liked-potential-2016-candidate.aspx?ref=image
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2014, 08:13:32 PM »

Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2014, 08:20:20 PM »

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2014, 09:13:15 PM »

Has there actually been a recent poll taken on his favorability? All I was able to find was the exit poll from 2014, where only 23% of Pennsylvanians said he would make a good president, but that's a different question from favorability. PPP polled him in a Pennsylvania Republican presidential primary in June, he placed 8th with only 8% of the vote, ahead of only Ryan and Walker, and even trailing 'other', but again, that's a different question from favorability.

That being said, I'd be surprised if he's in or close to positive favorability in his home state.

For what it's worth, nationally Santorum isn't terrible - he's at 22/26 favorability as of July. It's interesting that a majority of the U.S. population don't have an opinion of him despite the fact that he almost won the republican nomination last time:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/173402/clinton-best-known-best-liked-potential-2016-candidate.aspx?ref=image

I can't find any from 2013 or 2014, but in 2012 he was pretty consistently underwater, and there's no reason to think that has changed.

In 2006, he was the most unpopular senator in the country. It's not just because of the wave or Casey's popularity that he got thrashed. But hey, I'm just a silly liberal, no need to listen to me. Santorum 2018! Smiley
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2014, 10:59:42 PM »

Godspeed, Rick.

I am very pleased that we have a wealth of options for the 2016 Presidential nomination. I'll take having that "problem" over having to choose between less than stellar candidates.

As for the "Republicans" here (and elsewhere) that would proudly vote for Hillary over Santorum, you seriously have no business being in the GOP. Please reconsider your party and where you think you lay on the political spectrum.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2014, 11:49:40 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2014, 06:31:31 PM by Lincoln Republican »

This is a perfect occasion for extensive eye rolling.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2014, 02:07:25 AM »

Assuming it's true, all the Democratic strategists looking at 2016 just smiled.

Santorum won't affect things a great deal, but he will pull the primaries a little more to the right. And every move to the right makes it harder for the Republicans to win in the general. Not that its going to be easy under any circumstances.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2014, 11:26:27 AM »

I can't find any from 2013 or 2014, but in 2012 he was pretty consistently underwater, and there's no reason to think that has changed.

In 2006, he was the most unpopular senator in the country. It's not just because of the wave or Casey's popularity that he got thrashed. But hey, I'm just a silly liberal, no need to listen to me. Santorum 2018! Smiley
I know that Rick Santorum is very unpopular today, but was wondering if he could compete against Bob Casey in 2018 if the national environment for the Democrats that year turns out to be as bad as 2006, 1982, 1974, 1958 and 1930 were for the Republicans.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2014, 11:47:04 AM »

I'd gladly vote for Santorum again.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2014, 04:55:01 PM »

Godspeed, Rick.

I am very pleased that we have a wealth of options for the 2016 Presidential nomination. I'll take having that "problem" over having to choose between less than stellar candidates.

As for the "Republicans" here (and elsewhere) that would proudly vote for Hillary over Santorum, you seriously have no business being in the GOP. Please reconsider your party and where you think you lay on the political spectrum.

We're talking about the pro-union Santorum who just came out in support of Democrats' minimum wage hike, right?  Maybe he is the one who should reconsider.  He can take tax hiking, Medicaid expanding Huckabee with him too, if he wants.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2014, 05:30:05 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2014, 05:32:44 PM by Keystone Phil »

Godspeed, Rick.

We're talking about the pro-union Santorum who just came out in support of Democrats' minimum wage hike, right?  Maybe he is the one who should reconsider.  He can take tax hiking, Medicaid expanding Huckabee with him too, if he wants.

I've addressed this "Pro Union" issue. Tell me something...how many unions endorsed him in 1994/2000/2006? Granted, a few did. He had a good relationship with a few. The overwhelming majority didn't and still won't. They don't like his voting record.

He talks a blue collar voter's language while presenting what your standard economic conservative Republican wants. The stuff like his support for a minimum wage increase are exceptions to his otherwise strong conservative position. But the anarchocapitalist brigade obviously considers that BIG GUV! and got away with framing him that way because he's known mostly as a social conservative. The guy's economic message got almost zero coverage in 2012. You know, that BIG GUV proposal like slashing corporate taxes, championing the Balanced Budget amendment, etc.

Answer this: you're pissed that Santorum supports a minimum wage increase and is "Pro Union" so you'd support Hillary who has an even more left wing stance on economics? If yes, aren't you just doing that to "teach the party a lesson?" And if so, isn't that exactly what you rail against the base over?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2014, 07:30:44 PM »

Santorum is young (56) enough to run in 2020, 2024, or 2028. But his time may have passed. If Huckabee runs and he runs, does Cruz, Carson split the evangelical vote in Iowa, South Carolina, Southern states?
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2014, 01:21:59 AM »

As someone who voted Santorum in 2012 over Romney, and other Republicans, I am not voting for Santorum this time around. I voted for him last time purely because he was the only viable anti-Romney candidate.

I have no idea who I'll vote for yet. But this is the perspective of a Santorum 2012 voter.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2014, 02:00:56 AM »

As someone who voted Santorum in 2012 over Romney, and other Republicans, I am not voting for Santorum this time around. I voted for him last time purely because he was the only viable anti-Romney candidate.

I have no idea who I'll vote for yet. But this is the perspective of a Santorum 2012 voter.

How about Ben Carson? Grin
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2014, 08:07:06 AM »

Godspeed, Rick.

We're talking about the pro-union Santorum who just came out in support of Democrats' minimum wage hike, right?  Maybe he is the one who should reconsider.  He can take tax hiking, Medicaid expanding Huckabee with him too, if he wants.

What about you is the "Rockefeller" part of your GOPism?
Maistre
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2014, 08:47:51 AM »

Godspeed, Rick.

He really really really likes Abraham Lincoln.

And gay people.

And abortions.

I think that's it.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2014, 12:20:52 PM »

Godspeed, Rick.

He really really really likes Abraham Lincoln.

And gay people.

And abortions.

I think that's it.

Don't think gay people should be treated as second class citizens.*

Don't believe in forcing people who've been raped to have that child.*

Nice try.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2014, 12:23:03 PM »

Godspeed, Rick.

Though I suspect you don't genuinely care, I'm pro-choice, pro-marriage equality, favor amnesty for undocumented workers, favor stricter environmental regulations and oppose voter ID laws.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2014, 01:16:40 PM »

No, I was genuinely curious because everything you ever post is delivered with the extremist vigor of Michael Savage. Good to know you disagree with the party line on some things.
C9xV63H5
Germany

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2014, 01:15:38 PM »

I watched the maps from the 2012 primary and Rick Santorum won many states in the southern USA.

I did read not long ago that the GA Governor wants a "Southern primary" inclusive Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana and others on the same day in beginning of March 2016.

Maybe this is good for Santorums chances to win?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2014, 02:50:46 PM »

I watched the maps from the 2012 primary and Rick Santorum won many states in the southern USA.

I did read not long ago that the GA Governor wants a "Southern primary" inclusive Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana and others on the same day in beginning of March 2016.

Maybe this is good for Santorums chances to win?
No. The south has left him for Huckabee, Cruz, Jindal, and Carson. The only way Santorum wins the nomination is if he becomes the only non-establishment candidate as he was in 2012.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies