IL Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka dies at 70
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:09:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka dies at 70
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IL Comptroller Judy Baar Topinka dies at 70  (Read 4070 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 10, 2014, 11:34:42 AM »

RIP. Horrible news.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 12:20:03 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2014, 02:40:32 PM by Kevin »

RIP. Horrible news.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Agreed; horrible and unexpected news.

May she RIP

Just wondering, what happens with the position of Comptroller? Does Pat Quinn appoint a successor? Or does the incoming Bruce Rauner do so once he's sworn in in January? Also would a special election be held under this circumstance?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 12:46:52 PM »

RIP. Horrible news. Sad

The governor appoints a replacement, beyond that a bit unclear.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 02:33:24 PM »

As I said in General Discussion, she had my absolute respect. She will be sorely missed.

In terms of the position, the Governor will make an appointment. The Tribune floated the names Madigan and Cross, but we shall see.
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 05:36:13 PM »

I was so sad when I heard this. I loved JBT. She shot from the hip and was not a typical Republican. She was great. Will miss her lots.
hopper
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 05:36:44 PM »

I was so sad when I heard this. I loved JBT. She shot from the hip and was not a typical Republican. She was great. Will miss her lots.
Wasn't she the last Rockefeller Republican to hold a major office? She was a Liberal Republican I know some Democrats on here that liked her and would have voted for her if they had lived in Illinois in the 2006 Governors Race.
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 06:23:41 PM »

She was a very independent Republican. I read the Tribune's piece on her, which really describes her well, read it if you can you'll learn a lot about her.

Anyways, she was pro- gay and choice, which obviously most Republicans aren't and she held those positions for years. My uncle is a gay liberal Democrat who never votes for a Republican no matter what, but always voted for her. She was active in Pride in Chicago, which is where my uncle saw her. She helped the state pass gay marriage and came out strongly in favor for it. (Even offering to be the flower girl!)

I'm actually kind of surprised she didn't win in 2006, then again, it was a fairly Democratic year. Had  it been a more neutral year I guess she would have come closer; there was also a third party candidate. I mean, Blago was unpopular even then really.

I will really, really miss her. Springfield was a much better place with her there truly.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2014, 06:31:21 PM »

Wow...I never expected her to die that soon.  RIP to a wonderful Republican.  Cry

Wasn't she the last Rockefeller Republican to hold a major office? She was a Liberal Republican I know some Democrats on here that liked her and would have voted for her if they had lived in Illinois in the 2006 Governors Race.
If she hadn't had the misfortune of running in the anti-Bush wave that Democrats rode, then she probably would've won.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2014, 06:34:16 PM »

As I said in General Discussion, she had my absolute respect. She will be sorely missed.

In terms of the position, the Governor will make an appointment. The Tribune floated the names Madigan and Cross, but we shall see.
I was seriously bummed when Cross lost the Treasurer's race, so I hope Rauner will appoint him once he takes office.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 06:44:12 PM »

Sad news. Definitely seemed like one of the good ones.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2014, 11:43:26 PM »
« Edited: December 13, 2014, 11:53:43 PM by OC »

She lost a winnable race to Rod Blagojevich, which she shouldn't have.  She wasn't that well regarded in the mold of lets say Madigan due to rewarding campaign contributors in state contracts.

RIP Topinka, controller was the only office she was was able to hold. While the G O P held Quinn responsible, Dems still dominate Illinois politics.

The ad by Rod Blagojech which showed Topinka alongside George Ryan highlighted that exact point with campaign contributors with state contracts.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 12:10:08 AM »

She lost a winnable race to Rod Blagojevich, which she shouldn't have.  She wasn't that well regarded in the mold of lets say Madigan due to rewarding campaign contributors in state contracts.

RIP Topinka, controller was the only office she was was able to hold. While the G O P held Quinn responsible, Dems still dominate Illinois politics.

The ad by Rod Blagojech which showed Topinka alongside George Ryan highlighted that exact point with campaign contributors with state contracts.

In 2006 there was a draining 4-way primary, and a Dem wave in the fall. There was an active Green candidate who could successfully pick up some of the anti-Blago votes, so they couldn't go to Judy either. I don't see how it was winnable given those external factors she couldn't control.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 02:49:04 AM »

Blagojevich winning in 2006 was like The Criminal winning in 2014. People blindly voting based off the partisan tide and "to send a message to Bush/Obama" without even considering the terrible people they were voting for.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 11:51:00 AM »

She lost a winnable race to Rod Blagojevich, which she shouldn't have.  She wasn't that well regarded in the mold of lets say Madigan due to rewarding campaign contributors in state contracts.

In 2006 there was a draining 4-way primary, and a Dem wave in the fall. There was an active Green candidate who could successfully pick up some of the anti-Blago votes, so they couldn't go to Judy either. I don't see how it was winnable given those external factors she couldn't control.
And yet people still insist that Nader cost Gore the election in 2000.  He positioned himself as the default "None of the Above" candidate, and although he probably took more support from Gore, it's not as disproportionate as people think.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 02:17:21 PM »

She lost a winnable race to Rod Blagojevich, which she shouldn't have.  She wasn't that well regarded in the mold of lets say Madigan due to rewarding campaign contributors in state contracts.

And yet people still insist that Nader cost Gore the election in 2000.  He positioned himself as the default "None of the Above" candidate, and although he probably took more support from Gore, it's not as disproportionate as people think.

If he took more support from Gore, he cost him the election.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2014, 03:06:10 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2014, 03:08:07 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

And yet people still insist that Nader cost Gore the election in 2000.  He positioned himself as the default "None of the Above" candidate, and although he probably took more support from Gore, it's not as disproportionate as people think.

Uh, not necessarily.  It depends on how the Nader vote would have split in each state.  I imagine that he probably cost Bush more in the Republican-leaning states/regions.

FTR, one of his campaign slogans was, "Bush and Gore make me want to Ralph."

Blagojevich winning in 2006 was like The Criminal winning in 2014. People blindly voting based off the partisan tide and "to send a message to Bush/Obama" without even considering the terrible people they were voting for.
Who's the criminal?  Alexi Giannoulias was a criminal too, but he lost the Senate race to Mark Kirk in 2010.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 04:52:42 PM »

And yet people still insist that Nader cost Gore the election in 2000.  He positioned himself as the default "None of the Above" candidate, and although he probably took more support from Gore, it's not as disproportionate as people think.

Uh, not necessarily.  It depends on how the Nader vote would have split in each state.  I imagine that he probably cost Bush more in the Republican-leaning states/regions.

Who's the criminal?  Alexi Giannoulias was a criminal too, but he lost the Senate race to Mark Kirk in 2010.

Rick Scott.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »

So in 2 years Rubio is going to be elected President and Scott will go to jail for trying to sell the Senate seat? Tongue
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 05:47:24 PM »

So in 2 years Rubio is going to be elected President and Scott will go to jail for trying to sell the Senate seat? Tongue
And does he appoint former AG Charlie Crist to the seat for the interim only for moderate Congressman Patrick Murphy to win in 2018? And does Murphy befriend Joe Manchin?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 06:40:56 PM »

It's too bad she lost to Blagojevich, as we would be spared of the whole mess he brought upon. Guess that's a downside of the 2006 wave.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2014, 07:18:59 PM »

I don't think he cost Bush more votes in FL. TBH, I think only republican hacks believe that.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2014, 08:02:45 PM »

I think you confused "a criminal" with "The Criminal". Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies