Americans Support Gun Rights Over Gun Control -Pew Poll Shows
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:57:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Americans Support Gun Rights Over Gun Control -Pew Poll Shows
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Americans Support Gun Rights Over Gun Control -Pew Poll Shows  (Read 7282 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 10, 2014, 08:07:03 PM »
« edited: December 10, 2014, 08:11:07 PM by Frodo »

Also, among Millennials, there seems to be a growing number who don't favor additional gun control laws:

Growing Public Support for Gun Rights

DECEMBER 10, 2014

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 08:33:23 PM »

Yes, yes, Americans are stupid and crazy.  We know already.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 08:56:15 PM »

publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 09:18:32 PM »

It's been a few months since the last mass shooting, so guns are no longer a problem in society and we can go back to clinging to them.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 09:19:04 PM »

I suspect the American people might be preparing for the 2016 elections to be cancelled.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 09:33:52 PM »

Good
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 09:35:01 PM »

Good
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 09:39:38 PM »

Millennial Americans tend to be more libertarian than other generations, particularly when it comes to social issues, of which gun control is one. This trend is no surprise, particularly with the phrasing "control gun ownership." The whole rhetoric of "control" is a losing one. That doesn't mean millennials love guns, though:

Young people have grown up in the era of mass shootings, live in more urban areas, and are more racially diverse, all of which work against traditional gun culture. However, they don't have a problem if their neighbor wants to own a gun. Which is frankly, where I am right now. I support the right to own guns, but I've decided gun ownership is pretty dumb in 95% of cases unless you're a hobbyist or collector.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 09:40:46 PM »

Really? I thought Americans overwhelmingly supported Democratic policies and only voted GOP because of ignorance and propaganda? I guess Dem talking points after an election disappear as fast as support for gun control after whatever shooting the media decides it wants to publicize.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 09:45:32 PM »

Really? I thought Americans overwhelmingly supported Democratic policies and only voted GOP because of ignorance and propaganda? I guess Dem talking points after an election disappear as fast as support for gun control after whatever shooting the media decides it wants to publicize.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 09:49:18 PM »

I'm not sure why you just made up a bunch of stuff and then used that as proof of something else, but okay
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2014, 09:52:00 PM »

I suspect the American people might be preparing for the 2016 elections to be cancelled.

Wow you're dumb.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 09:53:07 PM »

Democrats aren't interested in controlling guns, only law-abiding citizens who wish to own them, which isn't going to do a damn thing to fight crime.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 10:09:43 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2014, 10:12:01 PM by Speaker Spiral »

Yes, yes, Americans are stupid and crazy.  We know already.

I'm not sure why you just made up a bunch of stuff and then used that as proof of something else, but okay

Please be intellectually honest for once. Also worth mentioning that there's overwhelming support for background checks whenever opinion polls ask about the issue, and gun control proponents (who are usually from the Democratic Party) frequently cite that when they advocate for stricter measures. Are you as willing to call the substantial amount of people who want background checks but generally support gun rights "stupid and crazy," or does this conflict with your snide, one-sided perspective?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 10:10:38 PM »

As always, when the policy doesn't win, resort to insults.
Kraxner
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 10:18:27 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2014, 10:22:29 PM by Kraxner »

Democrats aren't interested in controlling guns, only law-abiding citizens who wish to own them, which isn't going to do a damn thing to fight crime.

Democrats given they control most big city mayorships should work to enact gun control on a local level instead of pushing for statewide or nationwide gun control measures.

However they probably know doing so might raise suspicion amongst african americans that these gun control laws were designed to affect them than other places all along.

Yes, yes, Americans are stupid and crazy.  We know already.

Please be intellectually honest for once. Also worth mentioning that there's overwhelming support for background checks whenever opinion polls ask about the issue, and gun control proponents (who are usually from the Democratic Party) frequently cite that when they advocate for stricter measures. Are you as willing to call the substantial amount of people who want background checks but generally support gun rights "stupid and crazy," or does this conflict with your snide, one-sided perspective?

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/colorado/release-detail?ReleaseID=2033

84% of Colorodans support background checks vs 14% who Don't.

However the 15 round magazine restrictions have 45% support and 51% opposing such measures.

Libertarians, conservatives and heck independents/moderate democrats are justified in their skepticism of liberals using these polls in support for background checks because just like we've seen in Colorado, Illinois and Chicago. The state democrats there brag about polls on support for background checks and proceed to go further down a slippery slope for much beyond background checks.

Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 10:38:32 PM »

Glorious! The piece of s[inks]t wave is building!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2014, 10:47:35 PM »

Please be intellectually honest for once.

Haha, what?  Uh... I'm sorry my initial post here didn't line up with some random newspaper editorial I'd never read before.  You guys got me; I'm an appalling hypocrite.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2014, 11:04:07 PM »

Please be intellectually honest for once.

Haha, what?  Uh... I'm sorry my initial post here didn't line up with some random newspaper editorial I'd never read before.  You guys got me; I'm an appalling hypocrite.

You didn't have to read WaPo to know that voters favor Democratic policies on many issues, which I'm certain that you're already aware of given that you've posted in threads in the past dealing with just that. But uh yeah continue to do your spiel by making a snarky response to this post and dismissing whatever was said opposite of your beliefs.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 11:15:16 PM »

I reeeeally think you're taking my initial post a little too seriously, guy
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2014, 11:28:03 PM »

As always, when the policy doesn't win, resort to insults.

The smell of desperation is sweet.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 12:55:52 AM »

Of course, but it's a lot to do with our gun culture than anything else.  The things are not tools of last resort, but fun little toys/amazing trophies of macho-ness and Megamericanism to be shown off and glorified.  I'd bet half of dumbass America thinks the problem in Newtown was the lack of armed guards and teachers packin' heat. 

Sad and pathetic, although I will never understand why all the yuppies out of the conservative 80s (look at the spike in mid to late 1990s) were the ones that got sooooooooo anti-gun when they had kids.  My parents were among them.  There's no way they would've let me go to a friends' house when I was a kid if they knew the parents were gun owners.  They are still fervently anti-gun.  It's one of the big things that their generation got right. 
Wolverines34
Rookie
United States
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 03:44:20 AM »

Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 07:27:39 AM »

Sad and pathetic, although I will never understand why all the yuppies out of the conservative 80s (look at the spike in mid to late 1990s) were the ones that got sooooooooo anti-gun when they had kids.  My parents were among them.  There's no way they would've let me go to a friends' house when I was a kid if they knew the parents were gun owners.  They are still fervently anti-gun.  It's one of the big things that their generation got right. 
Suburban parents (especially soccer mom types) who know nothing about something but just associate it with "dangerous" and oppose it out of blind fear and because they think it will endanger their kids. It's the same dynamic that plays into much of the opposition to marijuana legalization.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 09:16:50 AM »

Asking whether it is more important to protect the right to own guns or to control gun ownership is a terrible way to phrase a polling question about support for gun control.  Far more people support various individual gun control measures than the term "gun control."  It's a little like Obamacare in that way.  How you ask the question significantly influences the result.  There probably has been a bit of a drop in support for certain gun control proposals, but I doubt it's been anywhere as big a drop as this poll suggests.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies