Convicted Sex Offender wins big scratch-off prize
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:02:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Convicted Sex Offender wins big scratch-off prize
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Convicted Sex Offender wins big scratch-off prize  (Read 3166 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 10, 2014, 09:34:34 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2868455/Convicted-sex-offender-spent-three-years-prison-pleading-guilty-attempting-molest-young-boy-wins-3million-Florida-lottery.html

Timothy Poole, of Mount Dora, Florida plead guilty to attempted sexual battery of a nine year-old in 1999, and ultimately spent three years in prison. Now, fifteen years later, he won three million dollars in a lottery scratch-off game, causing some to cry foul. So far, Florida law allows sex offenders to play lottery games, but there's white-hot intensity online against such a position.

Could the Florida Legislature and Governor Rick Scott, be persuaded to pass a ban on sex offenders in the lottery?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 10:00:06 PM »

People really can't take it when their internalized just world hypothesizes fall apart in front of them.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 10:01:54 PM »

People really can't take it when their internalized just world hypothesizes fall apart in front of them.

No, but that's part of being human.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 10:50:23 PM »

Why, it's positively shocking that good luck not a direct predictor of good character. Did you think that the lottery was a reward for something?

It's people like this man who buy most lottery tickets. You don't play the lottery, except as a joke, unless you're too ignorant to know better, so utterly sapped of hope that you no longer give a crap, or a gambling addict.

I didn't, but judging from the reactions I saw online, there are a lot of people who do.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 11:11:20 PM »

Maybe there isn't a God after all.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 11:19:49 PM »
« Edited: December 10, 2014, 11:35:10 PM by Kevin »

I wonder if some type of civil forfeiture law could be used to prevent this guy from gaining his prize? As I thought most states had rules on the books prohibiting convicted felons from gaining from lottery wins if not explicitly mentioning sex offenders?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 11:20:59 PM »

That there are people incensed over this is truly pathetic.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 12:23:13 AM »

The only solution to this is to end all state lotteries, the sooner the better.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2014, 12:31:21 AM »

I thought most states had rules on the books prohibiting convicted felons from gaining from lottery wins

Really? How can it be the governments business which people are allowed to play the lottery.. Even a state lottery.

Agreed.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 12:34:38 AM »

Uhhh... oh well!  Don't people have better things to do?  The lottery is the lottery.  Go pray about it and wonder why Jesus would let such a injustice happen, you friggin nincompoops.  And why does anyone know this besides the rich people on McMansion Hill that he's going to have to register next to? 
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 02:39:01 AM »

They think they know better than God:)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 02:40:10 AM »

How dare they try to interfere with His plan. God works in mysterious ways. Everything happens for a reason.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 04:17:24 AM »

If you're a white guy in Florida who actually plays the lottery, chances are you've probably done something in your life to get yourself on the sex offender's list.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 09:12:00 AM »

You'd think they'd be happy he'd stopped scratching other things off.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2014, 09:35:49 AM »

Agreed......no one was pissing and moaning when he drops a $20 or more on numbers a week.  Deal with it.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2014, 09:56:27 AM »

He still should have been in prison, people who do such things to children shouldn't be back out on the streets. I know that's going to make a lot of people here angry, but that is my opinion and I am not sorry for it.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2014, 10:00:41 AM »

He still should have been in prison, people who do such things to children shouldn't be back out on the streets. I know that's going to make a lot of people here angry, but that is my opinion and I am not sorry for it.

Well, I don't think one person on this forum is going to stick  up for a convicted child molestor so you have no need to apologize, but that still has nothing to do with the fact he's out and he's eligible to win and lose in the lottery.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 11:09:01 AM »

Well, I don't think one person on this forum is going to stick  up for a convicted child molestor so you have no need to apologize, but that still has nothing to do with the fact he's out and he's eligible to win and lose in the lottery.

I personally think that he has every legal right to play and win, but it really just seems f--ked up that someone like this guy could win the lottery.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2014, 11:54:26 AM »

I'd like to see a bunch of the winnings confiscated to get help for his victim and her family.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2014, 11:55:40 AM »

I personally think that he has every legal right to play and win, but it really just seems f--ked up that someone like this guy could win the lottery.

I really doubt anyone disagress with that.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 01:07:46 PM »

I really doubt anyone disagress with that.

A lottery win is not a moral reward for good behavior. There is no Santa involved. It is a freaking RANDOM draw.

So, yeah, I do disagree. Strongly disagree, in fact.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 01:41:24 PM »

How dare they try to interfere with His plan. God works in mysterious ways. Everything happens for a reason.

Well done.  Eloquently shows the utter hypocrisy of many religiouses.  It's only God's plan when it conveniently backs up their own view of what justice or fairness is.  The same people probably look up to those who make their money in the stock market because that what Jesus wanted when he put capitalism in the Constitution. 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 03:53:16 PM »

I wonder if some type of civil forfeiture law could be used to prevent this guy from gaining his prize? As I thought most states had rules on the books prohibiting convicted felons from gaining from lottery wins if not explicitly mentioning sex offenders?

Because civil forfeiture laws aren't being abused enough already Roll Eyes
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2014, 09:59:42 AM »

Well done.  Eloquently shows the utter hypocrisy of many religiouses.  It's only God's plan when it conveniently backs up their own view of what justice or fairness is.  The same people probably look up to those who make their money in the stock market because that what Jesus wanted when he put capitalism in the Constitution. 

The view that God favors his Elect economically is the economic consequence of Calvinism. The good side is that where opportunity exists Calvinism supports thrift, toil, self-restraint, and enterprise essential to the formation of capital that underpins growing prosperity. The bad side is that it blames the victim when opportunity does not exist or when opportunity is denied.

I find it hard to believe that God blesses gangsters and curses sharecroppers.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies