College Football
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:43:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  College Football
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who Wins College Football Playoff
Alabama

Oregon

Florida St

Ohio St

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: College Football  (Read 1434 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2014, 07:45:35 PM »

Oregon all the Way
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 07:54:15 PM »

Florida State.

It COULD happen, right? Hope springs eternal
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 08:06:55 PM »

'Bama
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 08:44:05 PM »

Not that I like this stuff anyways, but I'll take a shot.

Rose Bowl

Oregon 51, Florida State 37

Sugar Bowl

Alabama 27, Ohio State 20

National Championship

Alabama 40, Oregon 37
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 09:17:16 PM »

ROLL TIDE!!

I wouldn't be mad if Oregon won though. They deserve it after a lot of close calls the last few years, but SEC is best, and I love Bama.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 11:52:02 PM »

I am rooting for Alabama/Saban, and don't see any reason why they shouldn't be the favorite.  though Oregon scares me, as Alabama has shown a vulnerability to a deep passing game (and this is NOT the Alabama defense of, say, 2011).

as for the gambling side, Florida St has serious value as a 9 point underdog vs Oregon and a 6/1 shot to win the title.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 01:39:33 AM »

Oregon has struggled with physical teams over the last few years, so I wouldn't be surprised if FSU beats them, despite their overall mediocrity.

I think Alabama is an overwhelming favorite to win it. Not a lock by any means, but a strong favorite.

Ohio State is garbage and it's a farce that they made it.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 01:44:48 AM »

Hopefully Oregon. I'm sick of seeing Bama win and fyck Florida State. Ohio State stands no chance either.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 01:14:45 PM »

Explain why it is a farce that Ohio State was ranked higher than Texas Christian and Baylor after posting the same record against a stronger schedule.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 05:42:57 PM »

Rooting for Ohio State all the way, but to me you have to figure Alabama. I would love to see OSU upset them, though.

That 59-0 win over Wisconsin in the conference championship wasn't convincing enough?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 11:10:58 PM »

Harry's an SEC supremacist, and thus probably a B1G hater, that's what's at work there.  it's too bad Mississippi St lost to Ole Miss, Harry would have had a real beef if Ohio St beat them out with only the one loss.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 12:23:05 AM »

Oregon has struggled with physical teams over the last few years, so I wouldn't be surprised if FSU beats them, despite their overall mediocrity.

I think Alabama is an overwhelming favorite to win it. Not a lock by any means, but a strong favorite.

Lets see Oregon beat many physical teams this years Michigan St, Stanford, UCLA, Utah ,Arizona

Oregon 47 FSU 27
Alabama 34 Ohio St 24

Oregon 41  Alabama 38
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 02:12:26 AM »

Would so love for Oregon to do it as they have been due since barely loosing to Cam at Auburn (prob my all time favorite college championship game.) They should have been in it in 2012, but Notre Dame got in and we know what happened.

Alabama will probably win though.  Their game with Ohio St will either be close or a blow out. Florida State will prob loose by at least 10 to Oregon unless Oregon doesn't show up somehow.

Title game will be close though.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 05:46:10 PM »

Players shouldn't be forced to play College ball to qualify for the NFL. It's just a money making scheme and should be shamed as such.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 07:32:10 PM »

Players shouldn't be forced to play College ball to qualify for the NFL.

they're not.  you're thinking of the age/3 yrs since HS graduation restriction
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 08:35:16 PM »

Players shouldn't be forced to play College ball to qualify for the NFL.

they're not.  you're thinking of the age/3 yrs since HS graduation restriction

This is de facto forcing people to play in college, and make the universities tons of money and see none of it for themselves because "that's not what it's about".

The fact remains that if you don't play college ball you for all intents and purposes can't play in the NFL. Don't try to handwave it with semantics.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 09:08:43 PM »

Players shouldn't be forced to play College ball to qualify for the NFL. It's just a money making scheme and should be shamed as such.

An 18 year old straight out of high school should be sent onto what has become less of a metaphorical battlefield and more of a real one?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 11:19:14 PM »

Harry's an SEC supremacist, and thus probably a B1G hater, that's what's at work there.  it's too bad Mississippi St lost to Ole Miss, Harry would have had a real beef if Ohio St beat them out with only the one loss.

I'm really not an SEC supremacist. Just because the SEC is easily the best conference in football doesn't mean I want it to be. I laughed hard when Georgia Georgiaed that game against Tech, and I'll laugh if Alabama somehow blows it to Ohio State. I don't hate the "B1G" or any other conference.

Calling Ohio State "garbage" is relative of course. They're probably a top 10-15-ish quality team, just definitely not a top 4 team, judging by a combination of the "eye test," their godawful home loss to a bad Virginia Tech team (seriously, no "good" team had a worse loss this year, except possibly Missouri to Indiana, if you count Missouri as "good"), and their lack of impressive wins. Yeah, Michigan State is a pretty good win, even though they didn't really beat anybody, and I guess it was good that they went on the road and beat Minnesota, but does anyone who looks at it objectively seriously think Minnesota is even as good as South Carolina and Florida? Just look at the talent, size, and skills position by position.

Explain why it is a farce that Ohio State was ranked higher than Texas Christian and Baylor after posting the same record against a stronger schedule.

There are a lot of formulas out there for strength of schedule -- some say Ohio State's schedule is a little tougher, some say TCU is tougher (like Sagarin, for example). But it doesn't really matter. Averaging the strength of the 12/13 opponents is a pretty poor way to evaluate a strength of schedule, because it's very easily skewed by outliers. Baylor and TCU both played SMU, a team that was randomly horrible this year, and they both played an FCS team. Does it really matter that Kent State and Navy are better teams than SMU and Sanford? Any playoff team should throttle all 4 of those teams easily. Better to compare resumes as a whole.

That 59-0 win over Wisconsin in the conference championship wasn't convincing enough?
It was an impressive win, but one game doesn't override a whole season. Especially when I'm expected to just pretend the loss at home to an awful Virginia Tech team doesn't matter.

Remember everyone, I've long supported an 8-team playoff which would include autobids for the 5 major conference champions and the best from outside the P5 conferences, so in that format Ohio State would get the same shot as anyone else. But when you compare entire resumes side by side, I just don't see how anyone would pick Ohio State's over TCU's or Baylor's. It was a gut-wrenching disappointment to see the Committee cave to pre$tige and rating$, especially after I spent over a year insisting that they wouldn't.

Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 11:32:30 PM »

An 18 year old straight out of high school should be sent onto what has become less of a metaphorical battlefield and more of a real one?

That's beside the point. C'mon now.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 11:44:51 PM »

If they're good enough, why not? No NFL team would throw a player out there if he can't handle it, but there are lots of examples of second- and third-year college players who are already good enough to play. And unfortunately, a few of them (such as Marcus Lattimore) hurt themselves while being forced to play for free and never get to earn the big bucks they could have.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 11:56:10 PM »

Alabama is going to win- Tide vs Oregon would be a classic
I dont have much faith in FSU- but you CAN NOT count out a team with a streak like they have

I believe it is very unfair for the committee to have put TCU so high one week and so low the next...perhaps they do not belong in the playoff but why give them false hope?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 02:23:41 AM »

In any case, I support the only conscionable solution, which is no playoff at all and a return to college football the way it was before it was sullied by the Bowl Coalition. I have no interest in finding the best team. The best team is in the NFL. If I wanted one single winner I would watch the Super Bowl. I watch college football because of the traditional place it holds in my (our) culture, and I expect it to respect that tradition.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 08:24:34 AM »

In any case, I support the only conscionable solution, which is no playoff at all and a return to college football the way it was before it was sullied by the Bowl Coalition. I have no interest in finding the best team. The best team is in the NFL. If I wanted one single winner I would watch the Super Bowl. I watch college football because of the traditional place it holds in my (our) culture, and I expect it to respect that tradition.

You'll have to go back to the 1920s to find a time when there wasn't a "national champion" declared every year. At least with a playoff the champion earns it, rather than just having it bestowed upon them by lazy, biased voters.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 01:43:45 PM »

I lost what little respect i had for the commitee when they ed TCU in the name of profits.
See what happens when you put war criminals on committees?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 01:51:53 PM »

You'll have to go back to the 1920s to find a time when there wasn't a "national champion" declared every year. At least with a playoff the champion earns it, rather than just having it bestowed upon them by lazy, biased voters.

There wasn't a national champion, there were many. I think every team that feels like it deserves it should claim a national championship, because I don't care and the fact that people do care is ruining football.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies