Opinion of the "Cromnibus" bill?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:00:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the "Cromnibus" bill?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What's your opinion of the bill the House just passed?
Freedom Bill

Horrible Bill

Horrible Bill, but passing it was the least bad option.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Opinion of the "Cromnibus" bill?  (Read 1371 times)
Oak Hills
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2014, 11:20:48 PM »

I'm gonna have to vote Option Two, although I'm undecided over whether I would have voted for it if I was a representative.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 11:24:33 PM »

Option 3.

I wouldn't have agreed to cutting grants or rolling back Dodd-Frank (I'm also not happy about the cuts to housing assistance & pensions and blocking Marijuana in D.C.) . But at the end of the day, this is better than another shutdown.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 02:26:43 AM »

Worse than a shutdown, and possibly a more egregious and shameful case of Democratic appeasement of the Republican Party than Romneycare.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 02:47:38 AM »

Option 3. Elections are like court decisions: You argue the best you can to influence the result, but once the decision comes down you act accordingly. Both democracy and courts are a form of compromise, wherein we disagree on the end results but we all agree on the right procedure and the right rules.

Now 53 percent of Americans want Republicans driving the agenda, according to Gallup, versus just 36 who want Obama driving it. His approval rating is in the low 40s. Voters have just handed the GOP their biggest majorities since WWII. This is not the time for Democrats to my-way-or-the-highway it. (If that routine worked, the tea party would have triumphed. It did not.) The voters can and should have craptacular Republican policies if they want them. I predict more similar bills coming next year. So yes, the substance of the bill sucks, but this is how democracy works.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 02:57:10 AM »

Trash, much like the Congress that approved it.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 03:07:39 AM »

The single worst piece of legislation of the year.  A shutdown would be greatly preferable to this piece of trash.

Unfortunately, this is America, where terrible legislation consistently passes.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 03:16:36 AM »

Option 3. Elections are like court decisions: You argue the best you can to influence the result, but once the decision comes down you act accordingly. Both democracy and courts are a form of compromise, wherein we disagree on the end results but we all agree on the right procedure and the right rules.

Now 53 percent of Americans want Republicans driving the agenda, according to Gallup, versus just 36 who want Obama driving it. His approval rating is in the low 40s. Voters have just handed the GOP their biggest majorities since WWII. This is not the time for Democrats to my-way-or-the-highway it. (If that routine worked, the tea party would have triumphed. It did not.) The voters can and should have craptacular Republican policies if they want them. I predict more similar bills coming next year. So yes, the substance of the bill sucks, but this is how democracy works.

If I were a democratic congressman, why on earth should I vote for something that goes against everything that me (and my constituents) stand for just to get a shutdown resolved quickly?  The GOP was able to win big this year partly because they did not do this, but instead stood behind their positions and gave voters a clear agenda, while also showing their base that they stood behind them. If the democratic party grew a spine and put an end to these continuing giveaways to the GOP, maybe their base would have turned out for them in November.

I'm sorry, but if I'm going to be in the minority regardless, I'd much rather vote for what I believe in than be a pushover who gives my opposition everything they want.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 03:36:03 AM »

Every "Democrat" who voted for it needs to be primaried. Period. And Obama needs to be thrown under the bus if he doesn't veto.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 07:49:20 AM »

I understand why the people voting for it want to prevent a shutdown. But the Dodd-Frank gutting provisions and the campaign finance provisions make me mad on a level past being mad about the actual policies. This should not be the way business is done. This is a bill to keep the lights on, not a campaign finance bill. This is a bill to keep the lights on, not to gut financial reform. If these people think those things are good ideas, then they deserve to be debated, not shoved into something like this and passed without almost any debate.

That's not to say I oppose horse trading. But this doesn't seem like that.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 07:56:56 AM »

I'd vote against it, but I'm glad it has passed the House for political reasons.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 07:58:28 AM »

I'd vote against it, but I'm glad it has passed the House for political reasons.

Would you have been the deciding vote against it, if it came to that?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 12:39:28 PM »
« Edited: December 13, 2014, 12:44:02 PM by IDS Emperor Maxwell »

I'd vote no. The type of bill stuffing here is so hypocritical when the Republicans chastised Democrats for stuffing Food Stamps onto Farm Subsidies (which, you know, I thank Tom Cotton for being honest and voting against both).
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 12:41:34 PM »

Would you have been the deciding vote against it, if it came to that?
Yes. I'd be an insignifigant factor in that situation judging by the amount of Democratic no votes, but the GOP gains more if the Democrats force a shutdown over this.

McConnell is putting people's money where there mouths are. I am glad the bill cleared the House and now will clear (or fail) in the Senate so we can blame certain elements in both chambers for a shutdown. Kind of like Mao and the Hundred Flowers campaign.

And by the way, from a moral point of view, stuffing the bill like that was disgusting and I am not proud of what my party has done. But I also am impressed, if that makes sense?
hopper
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 08:57:48 PM »

Against. Why?

1.) The GOP gave more money to the DOJ than it needed.
2.) Funding a  Harriett Tubman Museum in New York City
3.) Funding a Women's Museum in Washington DC
4.) The Government is buying Tesla's?

2 and 3 are not not needed and the Government does not need t be buying 100,000 dollar Tesla's. Why is the GOP House giving the DOJ more money than Obama requested for the agency?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2014, 09:05:26 PM »

Against. Why?

1.) The GOP gave more money to the DOJ than it needed.
2.) Funding a  Harriett Tubman Museum in New York City
3.) Funding a Women's Museum in Washington DC
4.) The Government is buying Tesla's?

2 and 3 are not not needed and the Government does not need t be buying 100,000 dollar Tesla's. Why is the GOP House giving the DOJ more money than Obama requested for the agency?

topkek

Anyways awful bill, kudos to Pelosi and Warren for standing up to it.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2014, 04:27:57 AM »

Terrible
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2014, 09:35:40 AM »

It's got all sorts of random awful stuff in it, but that's true of every major spending bill. 
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2014, 02:08:23 PM »

Absolutely horrible, and pathetic "negotiating" by the Democrats who helped craft this.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies