Is Dallas County lost for the GOP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:54:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is Dallas County lost for the GOP?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Is Dallas County lost for the GOP?  (Read 9081 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2014, 03:47:04 PM »

Dallas County is lost for the GOP, but that's not a big deal in and of itself. It doesn't do much good to shut a party out of a county when that county's population growth has been flat for the past decade or so and the counties surrounding it are exploding in population and are very favorable towards the GOP.

This is correct (i.e. not only that it doesn't matter that it is, but that the main reason is simply that Republican voters are moving to different parts of the metropolitan area). Would it be wrong to diagnose a degree of straw-clutching in this thread? I think not.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2014, 04:08:53 PM »

Is this where the discussion of Democratic self-segregation into heavily Democratic communities, the "Big Sort" discussion, white flight, etc. will all be rehashed? If so, can we just recognize those factors and move back to the previous discussion?

A Dallas County that's 55-60% Democratic is, as discussed above, underwhelming compared to most of the countries other "big city" counties, and, as recognized above, that's only partially because of outlying areas that are within the county. The same fact is true for rather different reasons regarding Harris County at a dead-even split, compounded by Houston's status as the capital of the global oil industry as a natural right wing tendency. A competitive Texas would at least start off with a Dallas that votes like Travis does now and a Bexar and Harris that vote like Dallas does now, along with cuts in the GOP majorities in the suburban areas, a 50/50 Tarrant, and high turnout in the Rio Grande Valley. None of those factors are there and many look near-impossible to build. I find a lot of the "Texas will be a swing state in the next 10 years" chat to be eye-rolling.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2014, 05:09:18 PM »

How do the medium-sized cities like Mesquite, Garland, Irving and Grand Prairie vote in Presidential, Senate and Gubernatorial races? Are they like 55% GOP or 75% GOP? Do all the Democratic gains in recent years in the county come from the city of Dallas or is it also south side suburbs like Duncanville which are only plurality white?

Irving - Obama 50.6% - McCain 49.4%
Garland - Obama 46.8% - McCain 53.2%
Mesquite - Obama 50.2% - McCain 49.8%
Grand Prairie - Obama 52.1% - McCain 47.9%

I haven't looked at the precinct data for other races but I'd wager that most Democratic gains have come in the inner suburbs like Irving, Mesquite and Grand Prairie.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 11:26:16 PM »

I haven't looked at the precinct data for other races but I'd wager that most Democratic gains have come in the inner suburbs like Irving, Mesquite and Grand Prairie.

Thanks!  I'm shocked that they are all so close, although that election was a high water mark for Democrats.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2014, 01:31:13 AM »

Thanks!  I'm shocked that they are all so close, although that election was a high water mark for Democrats.
Most of the DFW suburbs were at one time farming communities, and you will find a precinct or two that is very black in each one of them.  If you look at the precinct maps on the Dallas elections website, you will find a mix of precincts, reflecting whether they are single family homes (and therefore Republican leaning) or apartments (and more Democratic). 
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2014, 10:05:44 PM »

Those were the early go-to bedroom communities for middle class whites in Dallas. Over the years, the housing stock got older, those families' kids grew up and bought houses further out in the collar counties and the original owners sold to a "browner" generation.

State Rep. Linda Harper-Brown, an Anglo Republican from Irving hung on for dear life the past few cycles. She was defeated in her primary by a Tea Partier who considerably outperformed her, but my guess is that he will have far more difficult elections from 2016 onward.

Another canary in the coal mine was State Rep. Kirk England, another Anglo Republican from Grand Prairie who switched to the Democratic Party a few years ago, was easily reelected in '08 and then got booted out in 2010. I think the Democrats won back his seat in 2012 and then lost it again this year.

Basically, the inner suburbs between Dallas and Fort Worth are one of the few parts of the state with seats that are reasonably contested by both parties.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2014, 12:05:43 PM »

Those were the early go-to bedroom communities for middle class whites in Dallas. Over the years, the housing stock got older, those families' kids grew up and bought houses further out in the collar counties and the original owners sold to a "browner" generation.

State Rep. Linda Harper-Brown, an Anglo Republican from Irving hung on for dear life the past few cycles. She was defeated in her primary by a Tea Partier who considerably outperformed her, but my guess is that he will have far more difficult elections from 2016 onward.

Another canary in the coal mine was State Rep. Kirk England, another Anglo Republican from Grand Prairie who switched to the Democratic Party a few years ago, was easily reelected in '08 and then got booted out in 2010. I think the Democrats won back his seat in 2012 and then lost it again this year.

Basically, the inner suburbs between Dallas and Fort Worth are one of the few parts of the state with seats that are reasonably contested by both parties.
After 2008, Democrats had a 10-6 majority in the Dallas delegation, 4 Blacks, 4 Whites, and 2 Hispanics, picking up 3 seats, including England's switch.

In 2010, the Republicans picked up 4 seats, knocking off the 4 Anglos, but they were under 55% in 5 districts.   Dallas County lost 2 seats in redistricting (it only grew at 6.7% during the decade)

The legislature paired two sets of Republicans, which reduced their advantage to 8:6.  But they were able to hold 8 of 14 in 2016, compared to 6 of 16 in 2008 (including one in a bitterly contested election, that resulted in a court case that almost went to the SCOTUS).

Harper-Brown was paired with Rodney Anderson, who had defeated England in 2010, but agreed to not run in the 2012 primary.  He defeated her in the 2014 primary.

2006: England(R) 49%; Harper-Brown 55%.
2008: England(D) 55%; Harper-Brown 49% (19 votes)
2010: Anderson(R) 49%; Harper-Brown 52%
2012: Harper-Brown 50%
2014: Anderson 55%.

England is the son of the very long-time mayor of Grand Prairie, and likely won in 2006 based on his name.  Most of Grand Prairie on both sides of the county line is now represented by Democrats.  In Dallas, it is represented by Robert Alonzo and Yvonne Davis, both of who's district was extended west.  The Republicans also gave the Democrats the new seat in Tarrant County (which is now 8D:3R).

HD-102 which the Democrats had captured in 2008, and the Republicans had won back with 52% in 2010, was 57% in 2012, and 62% in 2010 as it was shifted north.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2014, 10:51:38 AM »

England's district, HD-106, looks pretty safe Republican exurbia to me. What am I missing?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2014, 12:03:54 PM »

Metro areas, particularly those growing dynamically, spread out past the original host county lines, and since the fringes tend to be far more Pub than the core, inevitably the core becomes more Dem. More interesting is to look for trends in metro areas as a whole. For example, the Louisville metro area as a whole has become more Dem, even when factoring in the counties appended to Jefferson County. The Twin Cities metro area does not appear to have become more Dem is my guess. The Bay area, the LA area, and the San Diego area (less so), have become dramatically more Dem, in part, but only in part, to becoming less white. Almost everything north of SC on the east cost appears to me to have become more Dem when it comes to metro areas (other than Pittsburg).

As to the Dallas metro area, I suspect, without knowing, that overall from a political perspective, it has been rather static.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2014, 01:52:15 AM »

England's district, HD-106, looks pretty safe Republican exurbia to me. What am I missing?
House districts in Texas have traditionally been numbered from east to west, and the Texas constitution apportions representatives to counties, but does not require single member districts.  So Dallas County might be HD 25, electing 12 members at large.  There was also a restriction on the number of districts that larger counties (Harris, Dallas, Bexar) could have.

When single member districts were introduced (required by the federal courts) the districts were designated 25A, 25B, etc; except that Harris County was given individual districts 78-100.  The other districts were numbered 1 to 77, plus 101 in West Texas.

There were essentially 78 county units, with the 12 largest counties electing 83 members, and the other 67 members elected from single-member districts made up of multiple counties (or county surpluses), or most of a medium-sized county (a county entitled to 1.4 districts, will have one whole district, with the surplus placed in a multi-county district.

In the 1980s redistricting, all districts were given their own number, and the pattern for the current numbering established.   Starting in the northeast corner of the state, coming down down the eastern part of the state, and then along the Gulf Coast to Brownsville (skipping Harris County), then back up the central part of the state, skipping Bexar, Dallas, and Tarrant counties, and the jumping across West Texas to El Paso, and then in West Texas, north to the Panhandle.   District 88 was in the Panhandle.  Districts 89-98 were in Tarrant County; 99-114 in Dallas County, 116-125 in Bexar County, 126-150 in Harris County.  Within the broad swaths, districts the numbering snaked back and forth.

The 1990s and 2000s redistricting maintained the basic scheme.  Districts lost in East Texas were picked up in the Houston suburbs.  With multi-county districts needing 15-25% population gains, it isn't to maintain continuity, so there was renumbering but the basic pattern remained the same.  In 2000, Bexar lost a district, and so the ranges for Tarrant, Dallas, and Bexar were shifted, so that Tarrant became 90-99, Dallas 100-115, and Bexar 115-124.   District 89 was used in Collin County.  It is coincidence that it is near to Tarrant County.

The 2010s redistricting was explicitly designed as an incumbent protection plan.  By now the Republicans held all the districts in East and West Texas, and almost all of the Democratic districts were VRA protected.  The Republicans had massively overperformed in 2010, such that they had a 2/3 majority, but some were marginal based on a landslide win.   Harris County had to lose a district, and Dallas had to lose 2.  East Texas, West Texas, and South Texas had to lose a district.  So pairs of Republicans were paired, one of the district numbers was eliminated, and the district number popped up elsewhere.  This let everyone else keep their current numbering.  Sometimes, the pairings involved a district of someone who was retiring, some were forced, some had the two incumbents facing off in the primary.

HD-3 which was in Northeast Texas is now in Montgomery County.
HD-85 which was in West Texas is now in Fort Bend County.
HD-20 which was in Southeast Texas is now in Williamson County.
HD-33 which was in the Corpus Christi area is now in Collin County.
HD-101 which was in Dallas County is now in Tarrant County.
HD-106 which was in Dallas County is now in Denton County.

Republicans from HD-105 and HD-106 were paired in HD-105, with slices of the old districts moved into other districts.  I have no idea where England lives.   Texas legislatures only make $7600 a year, and they may not be willing to establish a suitable residence to run, and the remaining HD-105 is decidedly not a Grand Prairie district, and the rest of the city is either in Tarrant County, or a black or Hispanic district.

Jim Dunnam who at one time was the Democratic leader was from Waco.  As McLennan County lost in population share, most of the district HD-57 was moved into rural counties to the south and east.  Dunnam bought (or rented) a farm in Falls County.  His wife and children lived in the other Waco district, and Dunnam would take the children to school.   The farm looked a little bit unkept, but Dunnam would explain that his critics didn't know much about raising hay.

He was defeated in 2010 by someone who really was from the rural part of the district.   In redistricting, the Waco portion of the district was removed, and the district moved further east, and the incumbent Republican was beaten in the 2012 primary by someone from Lufkin which is now the largest population center.   So in this case, you have a central Texas number that has migrated into the eastern part of the state.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2015, 08:59:18 PM »

Kiss it goodbye, I'd say, which is indicative of a growing problem for that party. They need to hold onto suburbs to survive as a party.
You mean Southern suburbs?  Most Midwestern suburbs (other than Minneapolis/St. Paul) deserted the GOP in the 90s.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2021, 07:58:32 PM »

Dallas County is lost for the GOP, but that's not a big deal in and of itself. It doesn't do much good to shut a party out of a county when that county's population growth has been flat for the past decade or so and the counties surrounding it are exploding in population and are very favorable towards the GOP.

The Democrats are going to have to figure out a way to get more than 35% of the vote in the collar counties (Collin, Denton, Ellis, Rockwall, Johnson). Same story in other "sprawl counties" near Houston (Montgomery, Fort Bend, Brazoria) and Austin (Williamson).

About that.....
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2021, 08:04:00 PM »

The Democrats are going to have to figure out a way to get more than 35% of the vote in the collar counties (Collin, Denton, Ellis, Rockwall, Johnson). Same story in other "sprawl counties" near Houston (Montgomery, Fort Bend, Brazoria) and Austin (Williamson).

About that.....

These changes come at you like a train.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2021, 08:06:49 PM »

About that.....

Most exurban counties around Dallas are still pretty solidly GOP favorable. But Collin is now suburban as opposed to exurban. Much like how Orange County CA was once exurban but became suburban.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2021, 08:08:39 PM »

About that.....

Most exurban counties around Dallas are still pretty solidly GOP favorable. But Collin is now suburban as opposed to exurban. Much like Orange County CA was once exurban but became suburban.
The democrats now get more than 35% in all of those except montgomery, still hasn't been enough.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2021, 08:30:26 PM »

About that.....

Most exurban counties around Dallas are still pretty solidly GOP favorable. But Collin is now suburban as opposed to exurban. Much like Orange County CA was once exurban but became suburban.
The democrats now get more than 35% in all of those except montgomery, still hasn't been enough.

No?

Biden got 32% in Ellis. 23% in Johnson. 33% in Kaufman. 31% in Rockwall. 17% in Parker. And Montgomery County is in Houston, not Dallas! (Though your comment wouldn't be true for Houston either).
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2021, 08:53:03 PM »

About that.....

No?

Biden got 32% in Ellis. 23% in Johnson. 33% in Kaufman. 31% in Rockwall. 17% in Parker. And Montgomery County is in Houston, not Dallas! (Though your comment wouldn't be true for Houston either).
Yes, those are the counties  I was thinking of.
Urban growth in the DFW metro tends to go north these days.
So while Dallas County as a whole is best categorized as urban, the areas in the south and east of the county can get quite sparse. It's not too surprising that counties like Ellis would remain exurban in this context (but that will probably change in 10 years).
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2021, 09:55:29 PM »

About that.....

No?

Yes, those are the counties  I was thinking of.
So while Dallas County as a whole is best categorized as urban, the areas in the south and east of the county can get quite sparse. It's not too surprising that counties like Ellis would remain exurban in this context (but that will probably change in 10 years).

TBF, Ellis etc are growing rapidly too. Ellis grew 29% 2010-2020, though still by less % wise than Colin/Denton (although Rockwall/Kaufman grew by more than Colin and basically the same as Denton, 1.1% and 0.1% less respectively).
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2021, 11:26:17 PM »

About that.....

No?

Yes, those are the counties  I was thinking of.

TBF, Ellis etc are growing rapidly too. Ellis grew 29% 2010-2020, though still by less % wise than Colin/Denton (although Rockwall/Kaufman grew by more than Colin and basically the same as Denton, 1.1% and 0.1% less respectively).
Yes, but they are working from a lower base and not broadly enough geographically for it to grow into non-exurbia.
In general areas south and west of Dallas aren't growing as fast. Lancaster's growth for example was only 10% or so. Mesquite barely grew at all. Meanwhile, McKinney grew almost four-fold from 2000 to 2020. And Anna grew almost six-fold from 2000 to 2010 and doubled again from 2010 to 2020.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2021, 08:52:16 AM »

I’m starting to thing Texas is most analogous to Arkansas in that a few high profile individuals are keeping the opposition dammed up so they don’t dominate the state. In a few cycles once they retire or there’s a good enormous ty year for democrats to off them there’s no turning back
Southern Reactionary Dem
SouthernReactionaryDem
Rookie
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2021, 04:04:14 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2021, 04:11:03 PM by Southern Reactionary Dem »

I’m starting to thing Texas is most analogous to Arkansas in that a few high profile individuals are keeping the opposition dammed up so they don’t dominate the state. In a few cycles once they retire or there’s a good enormous ty year for democrats to off them there’s no turning back

It's way too early to determine that. TX hasn't even managed to vote D at the presidential level yet. Arkansas had solid down-ballot D control long after Bush made it a lock for Rs in presidential races. Also unlike Arkansas, TX does have a significant countervailing trend among Latinos. Particularly in south TX but you can also see it on trend maps in the urban counties. It's also way too early to tell how much of this is permanent vs how much was unique to covid and Trump's personality. If those narrow margins hold up in an R wave year, you might be right. But if the statewide races are all double digits in 2022, I think blue Texas is more of a mirage. If Dems are going to have a shot though, they need to duplicate their turbocharged turnout from 2018-2020. Because under historical Texas turnout scenarios, Ds will lose badly. You see this in basically every TX special election. The highest propensity voters there still seem to be very Republican.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2021, 11:01:51 PM »

For years, Dallas County TX was a Republican county. Going back from 2004, it pretty much never voted for Democratic Presidents. It voted for Obama in 2008 an 2012.

Even more amazingly, it voted for Davis and Alameel this year. In a GOP wave year that saw big margins for the GOP candidates in those Texas races.

Kiss it goodbye, I'd say, which is indicative of a growing problem for that party. They need to hold onto suburbs to survive as a party.

Yes, and it's pretty obvious. To be honest I think by 2012 it was obvious the county was a blue stronghold. If I'm being honest I don't think anyone except you has even questioned if Dallas County might flip back. What's more relevant today is neighbouring Tarrant County. Tarrant might flip back in 2024, given how close 2020 was, but I think even it will be gone after that, though it'll remain semicompetitive for a while.

Honestly, this is like asking if one of those ancestrally Democratic Eastern KY counties that flipped in 2008 is lost for the Democrats. The answer is yes, regardless of how they might have voted before 2008.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2021, 01:18:38 AM »

For years, Dallas County TX was a Republican county. Going back from 2004, it pretty much never voted for Democratic Presidents. It voted for Obama in 2008 an 2012.

Even more amazingly, it voted for Davis and Alameel this year. In a GOP wave year that saw big margins for the GOP candidates in those Texas races.

Yes, and it's pretty obvious. To be honest I think by 2012 it was obvious the county was a blue stronghold. If I'm being honest I don't think anyone except you has even questioned if Dallas County might flip back. What's more relevant today is neighbouring Tarrant County. Tarrant might flip back in 2024, given how close 2020 was, but I think even it will be gone after that, though it'll remain semicompetitive for a while.

Honestly, this is like asking if one of those ancestrally Democratic Eastern KY counties that flipped in 2008 is lost for the Democrats. The answer is yes, regardless of how they might have voted before 2008.
With all due respect, this post reads as though it's predicting present trends continue in perpetuity, and faulting the poster at the time for not having perfect hindsight.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2021, 01:19:54 AM »

The quote is from 7 years ago.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2021, 01:41:17 AM »

The fact that Obama won Dallas County by 16 points while losing Texas by 16 showed clearly that Dallas County was gone given it literally voted 32 points to the left of the state . Neither Abbott or even Cornyn in 2014 won Texas by that much in 2014 to win Dallas county and in fact I don’t think any Republican in Texas history other than Hutchinson 1993 and Bush 1998 has won Texas by that much
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies