Question about term limits
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:22:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Question about term limits
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question about term limits  (Read 2494 times)
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2014, 04:41:32 AM »

The following Wikipedia map shows that the governors of Indiana and Oregon eligible 8 out of 12 years, and the governors of Montana and Wyoming are eligible 8 out of 16 years.

Honestly, I don't quite understand what that means.

Does it mean that the governor of Indiana can hold this office for a total of 12 years, but not in three consecutive terms? (Thus he'd have to pause for one term after eight years.)

Or does it mean that he can be governor as long as he (and the Hoosiers) wants, but he'd have to pause for one term after eight years and after that he'll be able to govern for eight years again?

ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 04:53:03 AM »

The following Wikipedia map shows that the governors of Indiana and Oregon eligible 8 out of 12 years, and the governors of Montana and Wyoming are eligible 8 out of 16 years.

Honestly, I don't quite understand what that means.

Does it mean that the governor of Indiana can hold this office for a total of 12 years, but not in three consecutive terms? (Thus he'd have to pause for one term after eight years.)

Or does it mean that he can be governor as long as he (and the Hoosiers) wants, but he'd have to pause for one term after eight years and after that he'll be able to govern for eight years again?

I think it means the second one.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 07:00:03 PM »

Okay, I thought it was the first one, but I trust you more than myself. Smiley

But what does it mean for Wyoming and Montana?
These two successions should be correct for those two states, shouldn't they?

2008 x
2012 x
2024 x
2030 x

x

x

x

x

Hence, Virginia style would be possible for WY/MT, wouldn't it?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 07:12:20 PM »

Term limits are asinine.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 03:55:27 AM »

Come to think about it, I assume that option one is true because ...

What is the difference between "two terms; re-eligible after 4 years" and "two terms; eligible 8 out of 12 years". If option two is correct, then both aforesaid variants must be the same, I think.

But I'm still not sure.

I thought here were so many users that know about constitutions and/or Boolean logic.
Where's Ernest when you need him...
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 09:21:36 AM »
« Edited: December 13, 2014, 09:25:45 AM by True Federalist »

What is the difference between "two terms; re-eligible after 4 years" and "two terms; eligible 8 out of 12 years". If option two is correct, then both aforesaid variants must be the same, I think.

The difference probably is if you are a lieutenant governor who succeeds to the governor's office.  Under the former, you can run for two additional terms before taking a break, while in the latter you can only run once, because running twice would put you over the 8 out 12 year limit.  Note that some states that go by the term limit rather than the year limit definition specify that a partial term of sufficient length counts as a full term.
solarstorm
solarstorm2012
United States
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 04:37:44 AM »

The difference probably is if you are a lieutenant governor who succeeds to the governor's office.  Under the former, you can run for two additional terms before taking a break, while in the latter you can only run once, because running twice would put you over the 8 out 12 year limit.  Note that some states that go by the term limit rather than the year limit definition specify that a partial term of sufficient length counts as a full term.

Honestly, I didn't understand what you wrote.

Which of the two options in my opening post do you think/know is correct?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 02:06:41 AM »

Honestly, I didn't understand what you wrote.

Which of the two options in my opening post do you think/know is correct?

Option two.   There is no difference at all between 8 years out of 12 years and 2 terms out of 3 for people who come to the office of governor by being elected governor.  The difference between the two is that if you succeed a Governor who left office for whatever reason and serve part of a term,  then with the first you could only seek reelection once, while if the limit is 2 terms of your own, you can seek reelection twice before having to take a pause.  (The complication is that in some states, serving a partial term might count the same as a full term.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies