are people who are uncomfortable w/ their sexuality more attracted to religion?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:39:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  are people who are uncomfortable w/ their sexuality more attracted to religion?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: are people who are uncomfortable w/ their sexuality more attracted to religion?  (Read 2192 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2014, 03:42:12 PM »

are people who are uncomfortable with their sexuality disproportionately attracted to religion?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 04:30:29 PM »

Well, people who are uncomfortable with religion are generally more attracted to sexuality, so the reverse could be true.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 04:34:43 PM »

Could you elaborate on your premise a bit?

I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt Tweed, but this sounds like an excuse to go "LOL Fundies!" based off a stereotype.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 04:39:46 PM »

No, but people who are uncomfortable with their sexuality can often be religious, where religion is coterminous with social conservative views either within the faith itself or the community that practices it.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 07:53:40 PM »

Probably, but in general I'd say it's the other way around. Religion makes people uncomfortable with their sexuality much more so than sexual discomfort makes people religious.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 08:16:06 PM »

Probably, but in general I'd say it's the other way around. Religion makes people uncomfortable with their sexuality much more so than sexual discomfort makes people religious.

Jesus a bit too tempting for certain people?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 10:14:30 PM »

I'd say it goes beyond sexuality.  People who have some degree of discomfort in their personal life are more likely to seek various forms of solace, of which religion is one.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 12:56:29 AM »

Could you elaborate on your premise a bit?

I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt Tweed, but this sounds like an excuse to go "LOL Fundies!" based off a stereotype.

I wasn't quite going for that.  the most prominent religions all seem to assert that sex outside of the context for man-woman marriage is inherently immoral.  (despite their prominence in the West it's hard for me to imagine that any more than, say, 1 in 8 of followers of Abrahamic religions are "cool with" homosexual marriage.)  some (ie, the RCC, the largest church in the world) even goes so far as to condemn sex for pleasure within marriage, as opposed to sex with the express goal of procreation.

this could all be quite reassuring to people who feel guilt, anxiety, fear, etc as regards their own sexuality: it validates the guilt.  I've seen this process play out with a few people in my own life, which is why I brought it up.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 12:02:25 PM »

I wasn't quite going for that.  the most prominent religions all seem to assert that sex outside of the context for man-woman marriage is inherently immoral.  (despite their prominence in the West it's hard for me to imagine that any more than, say, 1 in 8 of followers of Abrahamic religions are "cool with" homosexual marriage.)  some (ie, the RCC, the largest church in the world) even goes so far as to condemn sex for pleasure within marriage, as opposed to sex with the express goal of procreation.

While I guess that's technically true depending on how you define 'sex for pleasure', it's an arguably misleading and unfair characterization of the Catholic Church's position, since the thinking is that sex is supposed to have both of those functions concurrently (although the term used is 'unitive' rather than 'for pleasure').
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies