"Holiday tree"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:13:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Holiday tree"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: "Holiday tree"  (Read 3435 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2014, 07:23:07 AM »

I'm not fond of changing names just for the sake of changing names. Christmas has already become a secular celebration in all but name in all western countries, so why can't we just keep calling it Christmas?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2014, 10:07:50 AM »

I'm not fond of changing names just for the sake of changing names. Christmas has already become a secular celebration in all but name in all western countries, so why can't we just keep calling it Christmas?

Believe it or not, even in Western countries many do not celebrate Christmas (I do not, nor do a majority of my relatives and many other people I know). Others celebrate it in January. People do not do it from spite: but it would seem to me extremely unnatural to treat it as anything but a quiet day in the office (though, I should say, I love flying red eye on Christmas eve - cheap). That it seems to you that it is a neutral secular holiday, does not mean it os so for others.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2014, 10:00:53 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I didn't know this was  a thing Surprise
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2014, 01:18:18 PM »

Is it too much to ask people to refer to a Christmas tree as a Christmas tree and Christmas cookies as Christmas cookies and so on and so forth? We're too worried about offending people these days.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2014, 03:56:04 PM »

Is it too much to ask people to refer to a Christmas tree as a Christmas tree and Christmas cookies as Christmas cookies and so on and so forth? We're too worried about offending people these days.

Why do you care what people call things?  Call it whatever you want, and let others do the same.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2014, 04:12:39 PM »

someone tried feeding me a "holiday cookie" last night and I puked on their face and reported them to the proper church authorities
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2014, 05:01:06 PM »

Why do you care what people call things?  Call it whatever you want, and let others do the same.

Normally, I don't care what people call things, but it feels like the word "Christmas" is being censored out.

Despite what Bill O'Reilly says (not that I watch his show), there isn't a 'War on Christmas', but there might as well be.

I remember some time ago I checked the official webpage of the City of Las Vegas. On the events section, they called one of the events the "holiday tree lighting". On the same webpage, one of the other events was the Chanukkah Menorah Lighting with the mayor. The City of Las Vegas didn't have a problem referring to a menorah as a menorah, but they couldn't be arsed to refer to the tree as a Christmas tree or even mention the word "Christmas" on the same page?! At least show a little consistency.

By the way, I managed to enjoy my time in Las Vegas with family even though it was only for one night.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies