"Holiday tree" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:30:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Holiday tree" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Holiday tree"  (Read 3458 times)
The Arizonan
United States

« on: December 13, 2014, 06:59:15 PM »

Why does the word "holiday tree" even exist when there's already a word to describe a decorated pine tree? Phrases like "holiday season" and "happy holidays" are acceptable because at least they serve a purpose and you can use them when you are trying to be inclusive.

It's called a Christmas tree. You don't call a menorah "holiday candles" or a "holiday candelabra".

Language is getting ridiculous these days.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 07:15:08 PM »

Governor Chafee (D-RI) actually called it a "holiday tree".
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 09:49:46 PM »

Governor Chafee (D-RI) actually called it a "holiday tree".
Ok. Why do you care? Even leaving aside the issue of non-Christians, what kind of person is that obsessive about language? In my family (which includes a number of practicing Christians) we mostly just call it "the tree." It really doesn't matter.

I don't really have an issue with the word itself. A Christmas tree should be called a Christmas tree or just a tree if you don't want to deal with pesky modifiers at all. It's just that I'm kind of tired of "Christmas" being treated like some kind of cuss word.

On another note, Governor Chafee was unfairly singled out by Bill O'Reilly. He should've went after Lincoln Almond and Donald Carcieri when they were in office and called it a "holiday tree" if he wanted to be consistent, but I guess that Bill O'Reilly only goes after liberals and Democrats.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 01:53:35 AM »

Whenever someone wishes me a "Happy Holidays," I always make sure I tell them MERRY CHRISTMAS in a stern voice.  I do not wish for them to inflict their political correctness agenda on me and my country and my culture. It's offensive to me. I don't even take Happy Holidays folks seriously, because it's done to try to intimidate Christians or even secular Christmas celebrants.

I have seen the term "holiday tree," "holiday cookies,"  GAG---I mean really??   It's political correctness run amok. OP has it right.

I definitely agree with you regarding the second paragraph. Political correctness has gone berserk.

As for the first paragraph, it's best to use "happy holidays" as the default greeting if you work in customer service or if you're in public because you might not actually know what the person celebrates.

If you're in a room full of people that celebrate Christmas or if you're greeting a bunch of relatives who celebrate it, don't be afraid of saying "Merry Christmas".

What is annoying are people that insist on always saying "happy holidays" even if you're saying "Merry Christmas" to your own mother in, say, New York City.

And can we address how some people are trying to replace "snowman" with "snowperson" in the English language? The English language wasn't built to be politically correct. Get over it.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 01:18:18 PM »

Is it too much to ask people to refer to a Christmas tree as a Christmas tree and Christmas cookies as Christmas cookies and so on and so forth? We're too worried about offending people these days.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 05:01:06 PM »

Is it too much to ask people to refer to a Christmas tree as a Christmas tree and Christmas cookies as Christmas cookies and so on and so forth? We're too worried about offending people these days.

Why do you care what people call things?  Call it whatever you want, and let others do the same.

Normally, I don't care what people call things, but it feels like the word "Christmas" is being censored out.

Despite what Bill O'Reilly says (not that I watch his show), there isn't a 'War on Christmas', but there might as well be.

I remember some time ago I checked the official webpage of the City of Las Vegas. On the events section, they called one of the events the "holiday tree lighting". On the same webpage, one of the other events was the Chanukkah Menorah Lighting with the mayor. The City of Las Vegas didn't have a problem referring to a menorah as a menorah, but they couldn't be arsed to refer to the tree as a Christmas tree or even mention the word "Christmas" on the same page?! At least show a little consistency.

By the way, I managed to enjoy my time in Las Vegas with family even though it was only for one night.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies