Which states will be "right-to-work" in 2025? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:59:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Which states will be "right-to-work" in 2025? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which states will be "right-to-work" in 2025?  (Read 7577 times)
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« on: December 14, 2014, 01:50:45 AM »

"Right-to-work" is unconstitutional, but that hasn't stopped it before.

On the other hand, the President could issue an executive order that says unions don't have to provide services to workers who won't pay their fair share fees.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 12:16:26 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2014, 12:24:36 PM by Bandit3 the Worker »

The 1920s were kind of like the 1990s. Everyone acts like they were so great but really they were a poopbox.

My grandparents grew up in the 1920s, and all they ever talked about was how poor they were. They were poor long before the Great Depression officially started. My grandmother talked about how she didn't even have an electric fan (although electric fans had been invented). My other grandmother talked about how she had to keep chewing the same wad of gum because they couldn't afford fresh gum. She also said that the only recreation she had was a pit in her front yard that filled up with rainwater. My grandfather's family was paid only in company scrip - not real money - that could be spent only in the company town.

So that was the "booming" 1920s. It's like the "booming" 1990s when I had to cook flies on the skillet after the Contract With America killed my job.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 01:05:27 PM »

As for the next right to work states: Nevada, Missouri, West Virginia, and Wisconsin. The Republicans in Nevada are in control for the first time since 1929. They'll try to (I hope) push right to work through. Missouri's Republican legislature has enough votes to now override the governor. And Wisconsin is a given. Ditto West Virginia (simple majority needed to override the Democratic Governor). So +4 right to work states.

Nevada already is. Kentucky may actually be more likely than some of the others, even though it's still not very likely, since "right-to-work" is so tremendously unpopular statewide.

However, a few counties in Kentucky (such as Warren County) are about to implement a county "right-to-work" law.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 03:29:08 PM »

Joining the union was one of the best decisions I ever made.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 03:30:21 PM »

The ultimate goal of the "right-to-work" thought police is to outlaw labor unions completely.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 05:31:49 PM »

What will happen:
The GOP will gain the Presidency in 2016, so they will pass a national right-to-work legislation after having ended the filibuster rule, and just to make sure this wouldn't be repealed after, they will appoint pro right to work judge to the Supreme Court.

So RIP american unions

How would labor supporters react though? It's hard to see how the "right-to-work" Taliban would go that far without touching off a people's revolution.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 08:29:52 PM »

If it is by State action, then Wisconsin is next. The Koch family regent Scott Walker has stated his desire to transform Wisconsin into a cheap-labor state. Kentucky and West Virginia? Anyone who does is going to have big trouble with the United Mine Workers.

Wouldn't there be just as much trouble in Wisconsin considering the type of stuff that went on in Madison 4 years ago? Unions are popular in Kentucky, but they're not really that powerful with public officials.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 10:17:06 PM »

Nobody in America cares enough to do a "revolution" over anything. They'd get mad, write some angry comments on the internet, maybe do a protest, then go back to eating McDonalds/watching Honey Boo Boo and will forget about it within a month.

I don't forget.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 11:51:56 PM »

So my county swung against McConnell, as you'll notice.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 12:14:00 AM »

If one side pull the rubber band too much, it will violently snap back at a point. I don't expect that to happen before at least 30-50 years, through.

I just can't believe it hasn't happened already. I think it came really close a few years ago.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 11:42:29 PM »

Are there any states where "right-to-work" is actually popular?

While I'm sure it's popular to prohibit mandatory union membership, I know it's wildly unpopular to require unions to provide services to employees who won't pay fair share fees.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 12:32:16 AM »

Are there any states where "right-to-work" is actually popular?

While I'm sure it's popular to prohibit mandatory union membership, I know it's wildly unpopular to require unions to provide services to employees who won't pay fair share fees.

73% of americans which probably translates to "nearly all of them"

http://www.gallup.com/poll/175556/americans-approve-unions-support-right-work.aspx

That poll didn't ask about "right-to-work." It asked about closed shop.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies