Marijuana Legalization and Taxation Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:18:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Marijuana Legalization and Taxation Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Marijuana Legalization and Taxation Act  (Read 5295 times)
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2005, 03:08:49 AM »

I just realized that we have an open spot because of Hughento's resignation and the subsequent withdrawal of his bill.

As introduced by Sen. Colin Wixted:

Marijuana Legalization and Taxation Act[/i]

§ 1 The possession, sale and consumption of marijuana and the plants needed for its processing, shall not be criminalized by the federal government of Atlasia.

§ 2 All federal activities related with it shall be immediately shut down, and the money currently appropriated to them shall be used for:

A. The construction of treatment centres for alcohol, marijuana,
         and other drug abuses
     B. The fight against illegal drugs

§3 All people convicted by federal courts of the crimes repealed in this bill, shall be given amnesty from the punishment awarded to them by the said courts.

§4. Taxes on marijuana shall be set in the annual budget. Individual regions may set their own taxes on marijuana as they see fit.

I hereby open debate on this bill.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 09:44:54 AM »

No way. This is more of the liberal crap that I will never vote for.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 10:56:09 AM »

No way. This is more of the liberal crap that I will never vote for.

I think the people of your rather liberal district, including myself, would support it.

Note: The sponsor is a Republican
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 10:57:49 AM »

Actually, Wixted is no longer in the REPUBLICAN Party or the ACA. He is a member of the Freedom Party, so...BOO-YA.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 10:59:54 AM »

He's a real life Republican.

Note: Your behavior is not a good way to act toward a constituent
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 12:07:04 PM »

ok, well let me start from the top.

After reading the past lengthy debates on this topic, I have a few questions that will hopefully be answered and a couple of concerns.

Overall, as I said before, I am supportive of the decriminalization of drug use (marijuana) and for Senators who can't argue properly, I might remind Senator Naso that such esteemed conservatives as William F. Buckley have called for a decriminalization of drug use in the past and present.

So, here are my questions for the sponsor:

1.  I assume that the regions will still have the right to criminalize/decriminalize marijuana if they wish to.  This will only apply to the federal government at large, not to the regions, who can set up their own rules.

2.  I am a little worried about the criminal provisions of the law.  Someone with more legal knowledge can hopefully fill me in on this, but if someone possessed, sold, etc. marijuana along with committing another crime, the only crime they are given amnesty from is the possession, sale, etc. of marijuana. 

I don't want to see other criminals get out because of this, just that the marijuana portion of their sentence be reduced.

3.  I think there should be some regulation as to the THC level of the product by the federal government, as was in True Democrat's bill before.  If John Dibble would write a good amendment dealing with that provision (since I don't know the inner details), I'd be happy to introduce.

4.  I do not support the provisions in clause 2.  I will propose an amendment to that very soon.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 12:07:36 PM »

Actually, Wixted is no longer in the REPUBLICAN Party or the ACA. He is a member of the Freedom Party, so...BOO-YA.

Colin is a member of the Union Party, not the Freedom Party.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 12:24:16 PM »

Ok, I motion to strike Amendment 2 and insert this Amendment as Amendment 2.

§ 2 All federal activities dealing with the investigation and prosecution of said criminal activities as listed in Clause 1 shall be immediately shut down, and the money currently appropriated for these activities shall be appropriated as follows:

a.  A sum of no less than one-half (50%) and no greater than the whole (100%) of the appropriations and moneys procured by this bill must be designated towards the general Budgetary fund and the necessity of covering the present Budget’s shortfall and may not be authorized by the Senate to fund any other appropriations in this present Fiscal Year (2006).

b.  A sum of no less than none (0%) and no greater than one-half (50%) of the appropriations and moneys procured by this bill may be authorized by the Senate in future legislation to fund appropriations and expenditures exclusively with any or all of the following measures:
          i.  The construction and funding of treatment centers for alcohol, marijuana, and other drug abuses.
          ii.  The so-called "War on Drugs" against illegal drugs not decriminalized by this legislation
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 01:38:13 PM »

On the THC content, here is my amendment to Clause 1 on that issue:

§ 1 The possession, sale and consumption of marijuana and the plants needed for its processing, shall not be criminalized by the federal government of Atlasia.

a. Marijuana with a THC content higher than 13% is prohibited for sale and mass distribution.

b. Marijuana with a THC content of any level shall be legal to grow, possess, and consume for private use.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 03:38:27 PM »

I'm all for the decriminalization of marijuana, but there needs to be a limit to how much someone can possess at once. Also I wouldn't mind putting a age limit, like 18 years old to buy.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 03:42:40 PM »

Colin is a member of the Union Party, not the Freedom Party.

so....BOO-YA Tongue
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 03:43:51 PM »

Okay, I open votes on the following two amendments...

To strike section 1 and replace it with the following:

a. Marijuana with a THC content higher than 13% is prohibited for sale and mass distribution.

b. Marijuana with a THC content of any level shall be legal to grow, possess, and consume for private use.

To strike section 2 and replace it with the following:

§ 2 All federal activities dealing with the investigation and prosecution of said criminal activities as listed in Clause 1 shall be immediately shut down, and the money currently appropriated for these activities shall be appropriated as follows:

a. A sum of no less than one-half (50%) and no greater than the whole (100%) of the appropriations and moneys procured by this bill must be designated towards the general Budgetary fund and the necessity of covering the present Budget’s shortfall and may not be authorized by the Senate to fund any other appropriations in this present Fiscal Year (2006).

b. A sum of no less than none (0%) and no greater than one-half (50%) of the appropriations and moneys procured by this bill may be authorized by the Senate in future legislation to fund appropriations and expenditures exclusively with any or all of the following measures:
 i. The construction and funding of treatment centers for alcohol, marijuana, and other drug abuses.
 ii. The so-called "War on Drugs" against illegal drugs not decriminalized by this legislation

I hereby open voting on these two amendments.

All senators in favor, vote "aye"; all against, vote "nay".
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 03:45:13 PM »

Aye, aye.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005, 03:48:36 PM »

I'm all for the decriminalization of marijuana, but there needs to be a limit to how much someone can possess at once. Also I wouldn't mind putting a age limit, like 18 years old to buy.

The first comment makes no sense to me. 

The only thing we might be able to legislate on is how much a person is allowed to have on his personage in public (and even that is questionable) or how much could be legally sold in one setting (PA has a similar, but strange law on this with regards to alcohol). 

To look into private residences and see how much people are possessing is a clear violation of civil liberties.

I think age limits can only be legislated by regional governments.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2005, 04:00:32 PM »

The first comment makes no sense to me. 

The only thing we might be able to legislate on is how much a person is allowed to have on his personage in public (and even that is questionable) or how much could be legally sold in one setting (PA has a similar, but strange law on this with regards to alcohol). 

To look into private residences and see how much people are possessing is a clear violation of civil liberties.

I think age limits can only be legislated by regional governments.

I'm sry, let me clear that up. A limit to how much someone can sell at a given time.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2005, 04:11:18 PM »

Aye, aye.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2005, 04:21:35 PM »

NAY
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2005, 04:23:11 PM »

Um, there are two amendments up for voting; we're not voting on the bill itself.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2005, 05:06:10 PM »

God for bid someone elected to a postion such as Naso's would actually read what we are voting for.

-----

Aye, Aye.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2005, 08:24:43 PM »

Aye, Aye.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2005, 08:49:11 PM »

Aye Aye
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2005, 09:31:56 PM »

With six votes in favor to, uh, one, I guess, against, these two amendments have passed.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2005, 09:36:19 PM »

Whilst I don't usually interfere in the business of the Senate, I do find it slightly disconcerting that amendments seem to come up to vote almost immediately with little to no time to debate them, in this case a matter of two hours from the second being proposed to the vote being opened.

Given that we presently have a drive to make the Senate slow down to the point that people can keep up a little more, I'd counsel a little more consideration be allowed.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2005, 09:41:49 PM »

Whilst I don't usually interfere in the business of the Senate, I do find it slightly disconcerting that amendments seem to come up to vote almost immediately with little to no time to debate them, in this case a matter of two hours from the second being proposed to the vote being opened.

Given that we presently have a drive to make the Senate slow down to the point that people can keep up a little more, I'd counsel a little more consideration be allowed.

True, although there have been times when an amendment has gone without reaching enough votes one way or another for nearly a week while people argue about it.  It might be a good idea to give them formal debate time, though, I dunno.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2005, 12:58:16 PM »

True, although there have been times when an amendment has gone without reaching enough votes one way or another for nearly a week while people argue about it.  It might be a good idea to give them formal debate time, though, I dunno.

Well, I understand Peter's point about slowing the Senate down by giving an amendment debate time.  Of course, a Senator then could use the amendment process as sort of a prolonged self-filibuster, if he wanted to.

I think that I'll put something in the Third Senate Procedural Resolution to deal with this problem and see what y'all think.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies