Hostage Crisis in Australia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:09:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Hostage Crisis in Australia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Hostage Crisis in Australia  (Read 5298 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2014, 11:28:12 PM »

It turns out, I have met one of the victims at a mutual friend's birthday parties over the years. I knew the face was familiar but not until one of my friends said something on Facebook that it twigged. Tori was a friendly and funny guy, it doesn't surprise me at all that he would do what he did in those final moments.

It obviously feels very real, it is my hometown and a place I know very well and actually walked past the day before. But it makes me feel sick and it makes it make even more surreal.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2014, 11:30:50 PM »

RIP to the the innocent victims of this scum.  I can only hope the injured recover.

A question to ask though is, What the hell was this cretin still doing in Australia? Further, while this man clearly had a screw loose, this really should not distract from the extremism problem that permeates in a small minority of the western Muslim community. If you dont recognize there are some problems below the surface, we will continue to have these lone wolf attacks. And the solution isnt the west pulling up stakes from "Muslim lands".  There are deeper issues at play here, namely an outright rejection of western society in a lot of angry young men.  Extremist religion and politics only give sanction and encouragement to horrific violence.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2014, 12:07:34 AM »

"Small" is of course an objective term but it's not really small minority by most standards. It's at the very least a significant minority.

We do no one any favors by constantly downplaying the problem.

I don't know about Australia but if you look at the UK and you see someone like Abu Hamza was able to fill a big mosque every week, that's not some fringe sect.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2014, 12:15:16 AM »

Also, while obviously no sane person supports violence or discrimination against random Muslims, it is really bizarre that a Muslims extremists kills a bunch of people and one of the first major reactions among the general public is to start a hashtag about how much everybody loves Muslims.

People didn't hashtag #illstillhavesexwithmen after Elliot Rodgers.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2014, 12:39:03 AM »

Also, while obviously no sane person supports violence or discrimination against random Muslims, it is really bizarre that a Muslims extremists kills a bunch of people and one of the first major reactions among the general public is to start a hashtag about how much everybody loves Muslims.

People didn't hashtag #illstillhavesexwithmen after Elliot Rodgers.

What a total misunderstanding of the purpose of the hashtag campaign.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: December 16, 2014, 02:07:22 AM »

No.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies