Pence might be the real 2016 wildcard.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:59:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Pence might be the real 2016 wildcard.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pence might be the real 2016 wildcard.  (Read 527 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 14, 2014, 08:21:20 PM »

He satisfies all major factions of the party. He's a Governor. He may be the one that ends up uniting the party. I know he's been mentioned, especially around here, before but I expect there will be a lot more chatter about him over the new months. 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/mike-pence-lays-out-a-vision-for-presidential-campaign-but-will-he-be-a-candidate/2014/12/11/0988c650-7cbd-11e4-84d4-7c896b90abdc_story.html
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 08:27:39 PM »

I agree. Some people think Scott Walker fills this role, but getting threatened with a recall isn't a ringing endorsement, even if you end up winning the recall. The fact that he hasn't been able to move the needle at all - he performed more or less the same in his 2010, 2012 and 2014 elections - indicates that he's a very polarizing and divisive person and isn't going to perform well with independents and in swing states.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 08:28:10 PM »

I'm concerned about his weakness in Indiana. He prevailed by 2.95% in Indiana in 2012, even as Mitt Romney won Indiana 54.04-43.84%. Why the weakness?

That said, he could be a compelling candidate. 55 is a decent age, he's from a conservative state, and has a record of conservatism.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 09:16:22 PM »

I'm concerned about his weakness in Indiana. He prevailed by 2.95% in Indiana in 2012, even as Mitt Romney won Indiana 54.04-43.84%. Why the weakness?

That said, he could be a compelling candidate. 55 is a decent age, he's from a conservative state, and has a record of conservatism.

He was running for an open seat against what seemed to be a fairly strong Democratic candidate. And the good Libertarian showing suggests Mourdock's awful Senate candidacy may have poisoned the well for the other non-presidential statewide races.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 09:29:50 PM »

If Snyder is the "backup Kasich", then Pence is the "backup Walker". If you want a somewhat moderate governor from the Midwest, much better to have Kasich than Snyder. If you want an archconservative governor from the Midwest, much better to have Walker than Pence. I don't see Pence having a niche unless Walker doesn't run, since everything he does, Walker does better. Walker successfully enacted a much more conservative agenda than Pence, won three times in a valuable state in the presidential election (as opposed to Indiana which would only go D in a landslide), and won by a bigger margin than Pence did all three times even though his state is much bluer.

However, if Walker doesn't run, then I could definitely see Pence as a strong contender.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 09:40:45 PM »

I agree. Some people think Scott Walker fills this role, but getting threatened with a recall isn't a ringing endorsement, even if you end up winning the recall. The fact that he hasn't been able to move the needle at all - he performed more or less the same in his 2010, 2012 and 2014 elections - indicates that he's a very polarizing and divisive person and isn't going to perform well with independents and in swing states.

He won independents three times in a swing state, as opposed to Pence who likely lost them in a red state. And I doubt anyone cares how polarizing he is, as long as he can win. In fact, the other side completely despising him is actually a plus for the Republican primary voters.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 12:56:31 AM »

I think I was one of the earliest voices saying Pence was going to be a big player in 2016 and I still believe that. I think he will do better than Walker because I think he will be a better campaigner and do better in IA. The GOP race is wide open, in most polls the number one pick is 'undecided.'
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 01:00:02 AM »

I like Pence a lot too. I wanted him to beat Boehner in 2006 for the minority leader position. Speaker Mike Pence would have been cool.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies