Pence might be the real 2016 wildcard. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:54:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Pence might be the real 2016 wildcard. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pence might be the real 2016 wildcard.  (Read 533 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« on: December 14, 2014, 09:29:50 PM »

If Snyder is the "backup Kasich", then Pence is the "backup Walker". If you want a somewhat moderate governor from the Midwest, much better to have Kasich than Snyder. If you want an archconservative governor from the Midwest, much better to have Walker than Pence. I don't see Pence having a niche unless Walker doesn't run, since everything he does, Walker does better. Walker successfully enacted a much more conservative agenda than Pence, won three times in a valuable state in the presidential election (as opposed to Indiana which would only go D in a landslide), and won by a bigger margin than Pence did all three times even though his state is much bluer.

However, if Walker doesn't run, then I could definitely see Pence as a strong contender.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 09:40:45 PM »

I agree. Some people think Scott Walker fills this role, but getting threatened with a recall isn't a ringing endorsement, even if you end up winning the recall. The fact that he hasn't been able to move the needle at all - he performed more or less the same in his 2010, 2012 and 2014 elections - indicates that he's a very polarizing and divisive person and isn't going to perform well with independents and in swing states.

He won independents three times in a swing state, as opposed to Pence who likely lost them in a red state. And I doubt anyone cares how polarizing he is, as long as he can win. In fact, the other side completely despising him is actually a plus for the Republican primary voters.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies