Sandy Hook families sue gun manufacturor......
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:45:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sandy Hook families sue gun manufacturor......
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sandy Hook families sue gun manufacturor......  (Read 1855 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 15, 2014, 04:06:18 PM »
« edited: December 15, 2014, 04:14:58 PM by Grumps »

Does anyone this is effective or a good thing?  Some wild whacko kid who is hopefully burning in hell right now did this, not some manufacturer.  And IIRC it was sold legally to his mom.
Kraxner
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 04:11:19 PM »

Frivolous lawsuit.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 04:18:28 PM »

Let them try. Jeez. Let them try. Yes it's frivolous and they won't win because they don't have the money and don't have the lawyers and they will be taught a very public lesson in 'who's boss' when it's thrown out. But there's nothing else they can do.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 04:30:31 PM »

Frivolous. They should focus their efforts on mental health investments to ensure another maniac doesn't spring up. What part of "criminals don't care about gun laws" don't these gun control people get?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2014, 04:36:54 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

Let them try. Jeez. Let them try. Yes it's frivolous and they won't win because they don't have the money and don't have the lawyers and they will be taught a very public lesson in 'who's boss' when it's thrown out. But there's nothing else they can do.
Since they are now just taking their own pain out on the gun manufacturers (who are innocent in this entire fiasco) just to make a statement, yes, they ought to be taught a very public lesson in "who is boss." They have done everything in their power so far to get gun control measures implemented, and should continue to focus on that.

Frivolous. They should focus their efforts on mental health investments to ensure another maniac doesn't spring up. What part of "criminals don't care about gun laws" don't these gun control people get?
Yeah, the Newtown families have a lot of potential lawsuits, and I highly doubt that many of them will be thrown out besides this one.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 04:35:14 PM »

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 05:12:38 PM »

At least they aren't using state resources to sue for political theatrics, like some elected officials have done.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 05:58:25 PM »

I'm pretty sure Congress banned suing gun manufacturers to prevent a repeat of the 1998 tobacco settlement.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 06:22:47 PM »

I feel bad for the families, but seriously shame on their ambulance chaser lawyers for lining their pockets with grief and delusion
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 06:58:04 PM »

I was talking more about OBTAINING the proposed banned stuff
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 07:04:43 PM »

They won't win because their suit has no basis in reality. No amount of cash or lawyers could change that.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 10:14:21 PM »

Yeah, because criminals use the fully automatic weapons that were de facto banned in 1934 all the time Roll Eyes
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 11:14:03 PM »

I don't see this lawsuit has any merit or chance of success.  A lawsuit against a gun manufacturer might succeed if one had kept supplying guns to a distributor that had repeatedly failed to show good judgement in selling guns, but that clearly is not applicable in this case.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 11:43:13 PM »

This won't do any good. The only way to begin getting any solvency on the gun issue our country faces is by repealing the second amendment.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 12:15:11 AM »

Good for them, hopefully they win. Unfortunately the NRA got Congress to pass a bill that pretty much bans this type of suit ager a similar one succeeded after the DC Sniper case.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 02:22:33 AM »

We'e not likely to get stricter gun control laws through the political process. If legal intimidation produces results, so be it. There's no shame in using a twisted, corrupt, disgusting system to reach a worthy end when that system is the only available means to that end.

I agree, and I hope that we can get a quick dismissal of this case to advance the truly worthy end of the courts not serving as an instrument of political violence. Smiley
Kraxner
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 02:57:47 AM »

This won't do any good. The only way to begin getting any solvency on the gun issue our country faces is by repealing the second amendment.

2013:  But but...w-were... only for background checks!!! how can you reThuGliCaN slaves to the NRA be soo mean!!

2014: REPEAL the second amendment now!!!!

Without a doubt a lot of people saw through this ruse all along that this was the liberal's endgame.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 04:07:02 AM »

2013:  But but...w-were... only for background checks!!! how can you reThuGliCaN slaves to the NRA be soo mean!!

2014: REPEAL the second amendment now!!!!

Without a doubt a lot of people saw through this ruse all along that this was the liberal's endgame.

Ah yes, because my opinion is indicative of the entire party's Roll Eyes. Hint hint, many liberals are pro-2nd amendment/lukewarm, and that position has not changed overnight. Although an explicit endgame for canning our most archaic and irrational amendment would be welcome!

Many on the left favor expanded background checks, handgun bans, accessory restrictions, etc. because they think they alleviate the problem. I find these to be half measures at best. Many of our domestic gun violence problems can be traced to a glut of firearms (the average amount of guns per capita is staggering); so long as legal distribution and possession is possible, guns will easily be accessible for crime, black market transactions, and accidents. You do not need a weapon to 'protect' yourself from the government, because the government is not coming after citizens; even if it did, your private firearm reserve wouldn't stand a chance when you get droned.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 11:55:20 AM »

I applaud this, although I do not support repealing the 2nd amendment or total gun bans. I support a lot of gun control, and since the courts and the conservatives are foolishly inflexible in their interpretation of the 2nd amendment, I think this sort of lawsuit is at least a way forward. It needs to be exhausted as an option.

The 2nd amendment was written with technology in mind that was barely out of the Middle Ages. They had cannons (called "bombards") and muskets in the 15th century. That's what they had in the 18th century. Armies were largely still raised, not maintained. So if the founders could have foreseen a time of massive standing armies and technology they couldn't really imagine or have in mind, they almost surely would have more carefully worded the 2nd amendment. I still fault the courts, though, because you certainly don't have to have a J.D. from Harvard to realize that. They just choose to interpret it inflexibly for whatever reasons, so I applaud these lawsuits.   
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2014, 01:00:01 AM »

if the founders could have foreseen a time of massive standing armies

Actually they did, they'd just had a demonstration of both the advantages and disadvantages of a standing army, namely the British Army during the American Rebellion.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2014, 11:44:30 AM »

This is a good idea. Lawsuits are a wonderful tool for policy change.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2014, 06:13:57 PM »

They'll lose because it's an absurd lawsuit.  Not because they don't have money.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2014, 06:47:20 PM »

Not a smart idea. I understand their intention, but this is just a waste of time.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies