1 out of 5 Republicans Agree: Rectally feeding suspected terrorists is a-ok!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:43:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  1 out of 5 Republicans Agree: Rectally feeding suspected terrorists is a-ok!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 1 out of 5 Republicans Agree: Rectally feeding suspected terrorists is a-ok!  (Read 6872 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 16, 2014, 12:25:13 AM »

https://today.yougov.com/news/2014/12/12/torture-report/

BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 12:42:20 AM »

A lot of Republicans don't really seem to care about the dignity and human rights of people so I'm not surprised.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 12:48:35 AM »

It is just sad that 28% of the country would put a detainee into a coffin-sized box, 35% support Waterboarding, 31% would support committing 'sexual violence' on detainees, 30% support familial genocide, and 11% support 'anus-feeding'. The 'nazi-like' sector of the population on this subject is far too large.

And I'm totally not surprised that the Michelle Bachmann/Rick Santorum 'torture is essential!' part of the republican party makes up 20% of it.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 01:30:50 AM »

The Party of Freedom!
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 01:33:15 AM »

The fact that most of them got majorities of Republican voters concerns me. Torture is never a good thing.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 01:53:22 AM »

The prudish and sadistic nature of Republicans becomes evident when more of them are opposed to "forced nudity" than tricking human beings' brains and bodies into thinking that they're drowning.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 02:08:11 AM »

When I was a child in the 1960s, I would have never expected one Party to be so different in moral standards. Both parties believed in an honest day's pay for an honest day's work. Both believed that education was a good thing. Both had similar attitudes toward both public and private debt. Both held that the rules had to be the same for rich and poor (perhaps being somewhat less lenient toward misconduct in the well-paid professions because of the assumption of responsibility for physicians, dentists, attorneys, engineers, scientists, etc).

In the 1960s I would have expected Democrats and Republicans alike to have similar attitudes toward torture -- that it is something that one associates with evil people in the defunct Gestapo and the still-loathsome Soviet secret police. We associated torture with a stock villain of a movie who says

"Ve haff vays uff findink out" or "Ve haff vays to make you talk". 

Really, it sounds just the same with a fake Russian accent as with a fake German accent. When such words are ever spoken in some American regional accent... we Americans have a big problem. It does not matter whether the accent suggests Baltimore or rural Mississippi.

Think carefully. If 51% of the people in an organization believe that it is acceptable to threaten family members of the person interrogated, then does that suggest anything other than a pathological organization? If 61% think it acceptable to slam someone into a wall (likely good for broken bones)?

What is this group -- one of the classic organized crime syndicates? No -- that is too low an estimate.  Aryan Nations? The KKK? No -- it is the Republican Party. Since about half of the people of America with any partisan affiliation are Republicans, just think of what this means in police forces and the Armed Services. 

It is telling that elected Republican pols have been silent about reports of such behavior. They do not deny it; even those first elected to high office in 2010  and were not in office when Dubya and Cheney were messing up American badly. Republicans in elected office probably support such horrid behavior to a greater degree than Republicans not in political office.

By the way -- I am also  troubled by the 19% of Democrats who think it acceptable to threaten family members of someone under interrogation and by the 29% of Democrats who think it acceptable to slam someone into a wall during interrogation. 
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 07:48:24 AM »

What nice humane people live in America. Good job "Christians".
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 08:01:29 AM »

Again, I am not convinced at all that anyone in the Republican Party are actually the good Christians that they pretend to be.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 08:02:40 AM »

I think it's more disturbing that a majority of Democrats don't support any of the methods.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 08:04:49 AM »
« Edited: December 16, 2014, 08:13:22 AM by Ambassador Cassius »

Being a Christian and supporting the use of torture if neccessary are not mutually exclusive. Just ask Thomas Wriothesley.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 08:11:52 AM »

Being an American Christian™ and supporting the use of torture if neccessary are not mutually exclusive.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 08:16:42 AM »

Horrific, of course - but I'm more shocked that so many Democrats seem to approve of some of the "milder" (!) torture practices. 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 08:18:44 AM »

To be fair, I imagine most Republicans view the terrorist suspects as almost certainly guilty, while Democrats are more likely to have at least some doubt about it.

I'm sure if you asked everyone separately whether they approved of the methods on "almost certainly guilty terrorists" and "terrorism suspects with a decent chance of being innocent" you'd see a much narrower gap.

Or maybe I'm just giving Republicans too much benefit of the doubt.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 09:31:14 AM »

I think it's more disturbing that a majority of Democrats don't support any of the methods.

I'm glad some Democrats have at least enough heart to know these tactics are awful and the sense to know that these tactics don't work. I'm sure a good deal of them would be okay with it if Obama did it on the Colbert Report, but not enough for me not to praise the ones with sense.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 09:52:20 AM »

Waiting for Reaganfan's explanation.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 10:03:19 AM »

Why?

How are we supposed to interrogate effectively if we can't cause a minimal amount of discomfort for the detainees? A terrorist knows they aren't getting released, I doubt the good cop/bad cop routine is going to work on them.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 10:08:50 AM »

Why?

How are we supposed to interrogate effectively if we can't cause a minimal amount of discomfort for the detainees? A terrorist knows they aren't getting released, I doubt the good cop/bad cop routine is going to work on them.

Your argument was great except for the major flaw that there is no evidence supporting the claim that torture leads to information not already obtained by the US government.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 10:26:39 AM »

Waiting for Reaganfan's explanation.
Americans are the good guys. The terrorists are bad. 9/11. It's all explained by this cheesy late 1980s that you now vaguely recall but hadn't thought about in 20 years.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 10:41:10 AM »

Why?

Pumping food up someone's anus, locking them in a coffin-sized box and threatening to murder their family isn't "a minimal amount of discomfort."
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 11:18:43 AM »

I thought it would be higher. 
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 11:34:06 AM »
« Edited: December 16, 2014, 11:50:20 AM by Clarko95 »

Again, I am not convinced at all that anyone in the Republican Party are actually the good Christians that they pretend to be.
On the flip side, the rather high acceptance among Democrats for many of these methods of torture shows us that many Democrats aren't as liberal, progressive, and caring for people as they pretend to be.

"1 in 5 Democrats Agree: Cheney and Bush were right for waterboarding suspected terrorists! And 40% say brutally assaulting them is a-ok as well!"

The door swings both ways. The high numbers for Republicans don't just excuse the Democrats who agreed with them. Torture, war, and violence by the U.S. government has been normalized since 9/11, and while Republicans are certainly more guilty of supporting it, that normalization also hits your party as well. You can't just ignore that.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 11:41:30 AM »

Republicans will have the majority in both Houses of Congress. They will have plenty of opportunity to denounce torture in principle. They can distance themselves from the crimes of the Rove/Cheney/Bush administration. Adequate rejection of torture includes such simple statements as "This is all wrong, ineffective, and un-American".

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 12:53:02 PM »

A lot of Republicans don't really seem to care about the dignity and human rights of people so I'm not surprised.

The pro-life party
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 02:31:41 PM »

Why?

What does it mean to "interrogate effectively"?

Interrogating in which ever way necessary to best get the information out of that particular individual.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies