1 out of 5 Republicans Agree: Rectally feeding suspected terrorists is a-ok! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:25:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  1 out of 5 Republicans Agree: Rectally feeding suspected terrorists is a-ok! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1 out of 5 Republicans Agree: Rectally feeding suspected terrorists is a-ok!  (Read 6903 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: December 16, 2014, 08:02:40 AM »

I think it's more disturbing that a majority of Democrats don't support any of the methods.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 10:03:19 AM »

I think it's more disturbing that a majority of Democrats don't support any of the methods.

Why?

How are we supposed to interrogate effectively if we can't cause a minimal amount of discomfort for the detainees? A terrorist knows they aren't getting released, I doubt the good cop/bad cop routine is going to work on them.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 02:31:41 PM »

Why?

How are we supposed to interrogate effectively if we can't cause a minimal amount of discomfort for the detainees? A terrorist knows they aren't getting released, I doubt the good cop/bad cop routine is going to work on them.

What does it mean to "interrogate effectively"?

Interrogating in which ever way necessary to best get the information out of that particular individual.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 03:06:21 PM »

Why?

Interrogating in which ever way necessary to best get the information out of that particular individual.

What information does what you refer to as "discomfort" yield?

Whatever information they are withholding? I didn't say I agree with everything on the list. I just don't understand what's wrong with things like threatening their families as long as we don't actually act on it. We're trying to stop attacks, aren't we?
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 04:08:30 PM »

Why?

Whatever information they are withholding? I didn't say I agree with everything on the list. I just don't understand what's wrong with things like threatening their families as long as we don't actually act on it. We're trying to stop attacks, aren't we?

Are threats the only item on this list that you approve of?

It depends on the severity of the implementation, or the particular individual being interrogated. If we are certain of someone's guilt and are trying to gain information about an attack, I'm fine with any of the methods presented in this poll, save for the rectal one which is just inane.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 06:40:57 PM »

Why?

It depends on the severity of the implementation, or the particular individual being interrogated. If we are certain of someone's guilt and are trying to gain information about an attack, I'm fine with any of the methods presented in this poll, save for the rectal one which is just inane.

OK. But this only brings us back to a stronger version of our previous question: What kind of information is gained if and only if we use these methods?

I don't really think about it in a broad sense. If an individual has information about an attack, we should use any means necessary to get them to talk. Different things might work for different individuals.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 12:22:37 AM »

Why?

OK. But this only brings us back to a stronger version of our previous question: What kind of information is gained if and only if we use these methods?

I don't really think about it in a broad sense. If an individual has information about an attack, we should use any means necessary to get them to talk. Different things might work for different individuals.

Can you describe the circumstances under which you would expect any of these tactics to elicit useful information? Can you point to any particular incident in which these methods did work or, failing that, would have worked?

I concede I'm not familiar with a particular incident.

Why wouldn't some of these tactics work? I'd assume most terrorists are strong willed individuals. If someone is withholding information on an attack, another terrorist, etc, it is vital to get the information through whichever means necessary. That individual may feel inclined to give up said information if they feel threatened, or feel that their family is in danger. Maybe being made uncomfortable long enough breaks their will. I wouldn't expect standard interrogation methods to work on these people.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 03:11:14 PM »

Why?

Can you describe the circumstances under which you would expect any of these tactics to elicit useful information? Can you point to any particular incident in which these methods did work or, failing that, would have worked?

I concede I'm not familiar with a particular incident.

Why wouldn't some of these tactics work? I'd assume most terrorists are strong willed individuals. If someone is withholding information on an attack, another terrorist, etc, it is vital to get the information through whichever means necessary. That individual may feel inclined to give up said information if they feel threatened, or feel that their family is in danger. Maybe being made uncomfortable long enough breaks their will. I wouldn't expect standard interrogation methods to work on these people.

So you admit that your argument that torture is useful lacks empirical support? "Why not?" is reason enough for you?

I'm not saying it should be the go to option. Just that if they feel one of these methods would be more effective on a particular individual, they should be able to use them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies