FY 2015 Budget (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:47:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FY 2015 Budget (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11
Author Topic: FY 2015 Budget (Passed)  (Read 10787 times)
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: February 11, 2015, 08:31:19 AM »

NAY

bore summed up my views.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #201 on: February 11, 2015, 11:56:33 AM »

bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #202 on: February 11, 2015, 12:52:56 PM »

Lief's amendment has enough votes to fail, senators have 24 hours to change their votes
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #203 on: February 11, 2015, 10:25:06 PM »

NAY
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #204 on: February 13, 2015, 02:29:01 PM »

Oops, I thought I'd already closed this.

By a vote of 7-2 this amendment has failed

Aye: TNF, Lief

Nay: Bore, Yankee, Polnut, Cris, Cranberry, Windjammer, SWE

Not Voting: BK

Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #205 on: February 15, 2015, 10:57:57 AM »

And I was worried you'd finish this up while I'm away Tongue
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #206 on: February 17, 2015, 09:03:58 AM »

Any idea of the current deficit or surplus?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #207 on: February 17, 2015, 09:18:26 AM »

I have messaged the Game Moderator and he is consulting with the Deputy GM. As things stand, once we have the revenue estimates then it will be possible to go for a final vote and solve this as soon as possible.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #208 on: February 18, 2015, 09:24:53 AM »

Do we have a time table from the GM at this point or is to be expected soon?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #209 on: February 18, 2015, 11:29:51 AM »

FWIW: Kal is working on that!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #210 on: February 18, 2015, 06:06:36 PM »

Well, I was told by the GM that it should be ready by tomorrow.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #211 on: February 19, 2015, 06:34:55 PM »

Well, I was told by the GM that it should be ready by tomorrow.

Due to a minor computer problem, the estimate may be posted a few hours later than expected, but no more.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #212 on: February 19, 2015, 08:37:02 PM »

Grrrrr Tongue

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #213 on: February 19, 2015, 09:14:53 PM »

The night is very young.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #214 on: February 19, 2015, 10:58:25 PM »
« Edited: February 19, 2015, 11:24:21 PM by President LumineVonReuental »

Revenue numbers are up, and it seems we have a surplus according to the calculations. I'll propose an amendment tonight to see if we can move to a final version!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #215 on: February 20, 2015, 12:01:49 AM »
« Edited: February 20, 2015, 12:09:14 AM by President LumineVonReuental »

Here it is!

I have added the revenue estimates by the GM, but there was a major issue as I was reviewing the changes, a mistake on our behalf.

As you remember Windjammer's earlier amendment was done to add the revenue of year 2014 to provide a basis, but what we didn't notice is that said amendment erased the changes in spending we had agreed on before my push for tax reform, and it also changed the tax brackets that were changed to make them more progressive to the state in which they were in 2014, thus leading the budget calculations to be based on said year.

What I've done here is to adjust spending to what it was (because no estimates are needed for that) and I did two minor spending alteration from what we had agreed on before: rounding military spending to 180 billion instead of 177 billion and adding $5 Billon to space spending based on the concerns of some citizens.

All of that should account for a budget with a 25 Billion surplus with the revenue estimates given by Kalwejt. The good part is that the tax structures of 2014 are more than enough to give us a solid surplus when combined to our December spending cuts, the bad part is that due to the earlier amendment recovering the changes in the tax structure would likely need new estimations.

Thoughts?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #216 on: February 20, 2015, 12:17:03 AM »

I have informed the GM that I will be on leave as Deputy GM until this Sunday.  I will be happy to help finish this process with the Senate at that point, if so required.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #217 on: February 20, 2015, 01:06:28 AM »

How long would these estimations take?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #218 on: February 20, 2015, 08:40:29 AM »

Yes, that's the question now, I guess.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #219 on: February 20, 2015, 07:12:29 PM »

As a concerned citizen of Atlasia, I would like to take my opportunity to express my concern for the current budget figures being debated in the Senate.

My greatest concerns are the low spending we have with regards to the Atlasian Navy and space.

Naval supremacy is the backbone of our armed forces; as stated by Admiral Trost, "When a crisis confronts the nation, the first question asked by policy makers is: 'What naval forces are available and how fast can they be on station?'"

With the end of the Cold War, we have seen a reasonable decline in our navy, from a peak of nearly 600 ships.  Yet the decline has continued at a concerning pace, where our naval forces have dwindled to less than half that number.  The Nimitz was retired prior to its replacement, the Gerald R. Ford, being rendered combat-ready.  This concerns me a great deal, as the forces of terror and jihad rage across the globe, particularly with the rise of the ISIS threat.  Yet we must not neglect other groups which are hostile to the forces of freedom, all of which pose a threat to national security and our allies around the world.  Our navy is the backbone of our global military supremacy, and is vital in our struggle to root out the forces of evil, and allows us to do so without regard to if they operate within our own borders or on the other side of the world.

Moreover, our space program has been vital in the development all sorts of technology, with military and civilian applications.  Spin-off technologies from the space program has given us commonplace items such as artificial hearts, automatic insulin pumps, breast cancer screenings, emissions testing, x-rays, microlasers, protective clothing, cybernetic arms and hands, ultrasounds, satellite television, and more.  They also inspired a generation of innovators such as Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.

The economic implications of ignoring space are not yet known, but it would be a tragedy if we wait around to find out.  I would implore our senators to consider increased funding of space from $15 billion, less than .5% of our proposed budget, to $30 billion.  Such an increase would represent less than 1% of each federal dollar spent in the budget.  Surely we can afford this investment, which would allow us to more quickly return to the moon, construct a lunar base, and use said base as a launchpad for a human mission to Mars.  It would allow for human adventure and exploration, and untold economic implications from spin-offs, space tourism, and more.  Space has represented the greatest return on investment for any federal program thus far.  Let's get back on the path of exploration and innovation.  Let's start this year.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #220 on: February 20, 2015, 07:25:08 PM »

I have to say I fully share Jerseyrules's concerns on military spending and NASA spending, which is why my most recent proposal includes a raise on both areas (and specially in space spending, from 15 billion to 20 billion). If the rest of the Senate agrees, I think a raise to 30 would be a good idea, and it would still leave a surplus of 15 billion.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #221 on: February 20, 2015, 11:03:03 PM »

I would be leaning towards supporting such as well.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #222 on: February 21, 2015, 10:44:13 PM »

Since we have discovered that we have a small space in our budget, I would like to shall my support for the ideas given by Jerseyrules. Certainly providing better assistance to our navy and specially our Space Program is a huge priority. Nonetheless, I would also like Senators to consider higher funding for the CIA and the National Security Agency as well due to the increase of terrorist attacks and the necessity of better prevention of those actions.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #223 on: February 22, 2015, 07:03:07 AM »

I won't vote to increase funding for any of the things proposed here, with the exception of the space program. We have no real need to increase funding for the military or for the secret police (i.e. the CIA/NSA) beyond the paranoid fears of the right-wing
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #224 on: February 22, 2015, 08:21:37 AM »

Echoing Senator TNF's comments, I am too supportive of increasing our funding for space programs, to the 30 billions if you want so. I will however not support any further increases in military or even secret service fundings, we have already increased them in this budget to the furthest acceptable to a large portion of Senators as well as the Atlasian public.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies