Should the US government break up some of the largest corporations?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:22:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should the US government break up some of the largest corporations?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: So?
Yes

No

Maybe

Some(explain which)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: Should the US government break up some of the largest corporations?  (Read 2978 times)
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 16, 2014, 11:40:59 AM »

I'm going to say yes, except for the technology industry(Intel,Microsoft,AMD etc.)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 11:52:50 AM »

Antitrust legislation is reactionary, so no. The idea that small production is inherently better is a bizarre petty bourgeois affectation that ignores the economies of scale and general gains yielded from larger, more complex industrial arrangements.

The answer lies in making those gains work for the people, rather than against them and for profit. Don't break them up, bring them under public ownership and manage them democratically, within the confines of a popularly-determined democratic economic plan.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 12:55:59 PM »

Antitrust legislation is reactionary, so no. The idea that small production is inherently better is a bizarre petty bourgeois affectation that ignores the economies of scale and general gains yielded from larger, more complex industrial arrangements.

Encouraging "small production" is unequivocally not the purpose of anti-trust laws.  But, I guess if you're a marxist, you're relieved of the obligation to pay attention to reality.  "Petty bourgeois!!!"  "Industrial arrangements!!!"  Great economic analysis. 

The point of anti-trust laws is to prevent monopolistic behavior that restrains competition in the market.  I guess marxists need to dislike that idea because they want a government monopoly instead of a free market system, but that's the idea, like it or not.

I think it's an unlettered, silly thing to across the board say large corporations should be broken up.  There's nothing necessarily wrong with a large corporation.  But, there are probably some candidates for antitrust action that we should think about, big banks, telecom, etc.  Unfortunately, we won't because of money in politics.  Oh well.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 01:27:30 PM »

I'm going to say yes, except for the technology industry(Intel,Microsoft,AMD etc.)

If they're any companies that need to be broken up by Uncle Sam, its definitely within the telecom industry. 
Jose Canseco
ConservativeDemocrat
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 06:05:48 PM »

In certain cases (McDonalds, Berger King, disgusting junk food, and cheat meals).
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 09:07:02 PM »

The answer lies in making those gains work for the people, rather than against them and for profit. Don't break them up, bring them under public ownership and manage them democratically, within the confines of a popularly-determined democratic economic plan.
I would love for this to happen, but it's just not realistic(for now that is)for that to happen in the US.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 09:11:45 AM »

It isn't realistic only so long as there's not an organized left. Once that happens (and I believe it will within the early or middle part of this century), it's fair game.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 09:15:41 AM »

It isn't realistic only so long as there's not an organized left. Once that happens (and I believe it will within the early or middle part of this century), it's fair game.
True.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 08:44:53 PM »

I used to think yes, now I think now.

Economies of scale.

And eventually, we'll get a big business that's doing a lot of good, and to break it up would be detrimental.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 11:10:56 PM »

I'm going to say yes, except for the technology industry(Intel, Microsoft, AMD etc.)

Why make an exception for Microsoft, it would be one of the most obvious candidates. Amazon and Google are other good cases,

Monopolies (incl. companies with near total market dominance) are bad not just for economic reasons, but also because they are too powerful and "economy of scale" shouldn't be a carte blanche for creating and maintaining them. There is also the obvious "too big to fail" problem, if a company can not be allowed to go bankrupt without public intervention it should be broken up.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 09:48:36 AM »

I'm going to say yes, except for the technology industry(Intel, Microsoft, AMD etc.)

Why make an exception for Microsoft, it would be one of the most obvious candidates. Amazon and Google are other good cases,

Monopolies (incl. companies with near total market dominance) are bad not just for economic reasons, but also because they are too powerful and "economy of scale" shouldn't be a carte blanche for creating and maintaining them. There is also the obvious "too big to fail" problem, if a company can not be allowed to go bankrupt without public intervention it should be broken up.
The problem with Microsoft is that too many people rely on it, and I'd rather not be forced to use Mac OS X.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 01:10:10 PM »

The problem with Microsoft is that too many people rely on it, and I'd rather not be forced to use Mac OS X.

Why would you be? Isn't the idea behind anti-trust laws to create more competition? So breaking up Microsoft should actually create more options than them and Apple.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 10:34:19 PM »

Encouraging "small production" is unequivocally not the purpose of anti-trust laws.  But, I guess if you're a marxist, you're relieved of the obligation to pay attention to reality.  "Petty bourgeois!!!"  "Industrial arrangements!!!"  Great economic analysis. 

The point of anti-trust laws is to prevent monopolistic behavior that restrains competition in the market.  I guess marxists need to dislike that idea because they want a government monopoly instead of a free market system, but that's the idea, like it or not.

I think it's an unlettered, silly thing to across the board say large corporations should be broken up.  There's nothing necessarily wrong with a large corporation.  But, there are probably some candidates for antitrust action that we should think about, big banks, telecom, etc.  Unfortunately, we won't because of money in politics.  Oh well.

This basically.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 11:50:43 PM »

Marxists? They're borderline Anarchists, with the only difference being that they believe in the state during the Revolution.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 01:18:39 PM »

Yes, obviously.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 09:45:33 PM »

No, there's nothing inherently wrong with bigness if it occurs as the result of many people buying a company's products. It's another matter if a company becomes large as a result of other factors (entry barriers to competition, special privileges, or outright government-granted monopolies as in the case of the telecom industry), but in those situations the solution is to eliminate those factors, not arbitrarily prosecute large firms.

Why would you be? Isn't the idea behind anti-trust laws to create more competition?
Ostensibly yes, but in practice this is almost never the case. Historically, most anti-trust cases have been prosecuted against companies that were expanding output and reducing prices (the exact opposite of what economists believe to be the result of monopoly power). In reality, the purpose of anti-trust regulation is not the destruction of anti-competitive monopolies for the benefit of consumers, but the destruction of more productive and efficient firms for the benefit of their competitors.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2014, 01:03:03 PM »

I would love to see democracy in all workplaces.  One person, one vote.  Employees elect their managers and decide their pay and bonuses.

This can be accomplished in large companies...but should gain a foothold in smaller companies first.

Breaking up monopolies is good.  More importantly, we should be more skeptical of mergers and acquisitions...and there should be a strong labor component inthese decisions and approvals.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 05:36:15 PM »

I would love to see democracy in all workplaces.  One person, one vote.  Employees elect their managers and decide their pay and bonuses.

This can be accomplished in large companies...but should gain a foothold in smaller companies first.

Breaking up monopolies is good.  More importantly, we should be more skeptical of mergers and acquisitions...and there should be a strong labor component inthese decisions and approvals.

That wouldn't work as well as shareholders electing a board of directors.  Employees are often at cross-purposes with the best interests of the corporation.  Ultimately, the only people with the long-term best interests of the corporation at heart are the residual claimants. 
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2014, 04:53:37 PM »

Some of the largest corporations? Yes, obviously. That's if we're going to have the shark pool, laissez-faire system that we have where it takes money to make money. Under proper regulations or public ownership, then probably not.

My view is that if we're talking about a monopoly that offers a service or product that is essentially required (Internet, TV, fuel, etc.), and you have a couple of monopolies that do little more than gouge and offer poor customer service, yes, they should undoubtedly be broken up. They just quell competition and force you to buy their product, unless you want to be a hermit.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2014, 05:06:54 PM »

My view is that if we're talking about a monopoly that offers a service or product that is essentially required (Internet, TV, fuel, etc.), and you have a couple of monopolies that do little more than gouge and offer poor customer service, yes, they should undoubtedly be broken up. They just quell competition and force you to buy their product, unless you want to be a hermit.
That's because ISP's and cable companies are granted franchise monopolies by local governments. If you want to get rid of those monopolies, all you have to do is get rid of the local monopoly grants.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies