If each state held a referendum on the death penalty...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:56:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If each state held a referendum on the death penalty...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If each state held a referendum on the death penalty...  (Read 1038 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 16, 2014, 12:53:41 PM »
« edited: December 16, 2014, 01:34:04 PM by TDAS04 »

Which states would vote in favor of abolishing it?  Or, if they currently don't have the death penalty, which ones would vote against reinstating it?  Maps?

EDIT: For clarity and consistency, assume that for the states with the death penalty, the repeal referenda are like California's.

For states that without it but vote on reinstating it, use this from Wisconsin.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 01:02:23 PM »

Which states would vote in favor of abolishing it?  Or, if they currently don't have the death penalty, which ones would vote against reinstating it?  Maps?

That would depend on the question wording of the referendums.

You can A) word it like "Do you support (re)-introduction/maintaining the death penalty for murder ?"

or

You can B) word it like "Do you support (re)-introduction/maintaining the death penalty for murder or do you instead support life in prison with/without the chance of parole ?"

Support for A) is usually at around 65% nationally (lower in strong DEM states, higher in GOP states).

Support for B) is usually around 45-45 in recent polls.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 01:18:43 PM »

California already did just that (2012 election), narrowly voted in favor of it
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 01:24:32 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2014, 01:26:20 PM by Del Tachi »

Its important to make the distinction though:  is the scenario that all 50 states are holding referendums on placing a statewide ban on the use of the death penalty, or is it some sort of hypothetical national referendum on either 1) federal use of the death penalty or 2) the adoption of some sort of Constitutional amendment or something in order to make illegal any use of death penalty?
Kraxner
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 01:27:46 PM »
« Edited: December 16, 2014, 01:32:34 PM by Kraxner »

http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/wgmh9xzm32/tabs_HP_death_penalty_20140502.pdf

If the Death Penalty had an election/referendumm in all 50 states it would of Won by a landslide 65% of all voters.

Its important to make the distinction though:  is the scenario that all 50 states are holding referendums on placing a statewide ban on the use of the death penalty, or is it some sort of hypothetical national referendum on either 1) federal use of the death penalty or 2) the adoption of some sort of Constitutional amendment or something in order to make illegal any use of death penalty?

That's the most beautiful map i've ever seen in my life.

Also the obvious liberal bubbles are showing.

Oh yeah and were's the survey that gives all these statewide results?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 01:35:59 PM »

That would depend on the question wording of the referendums.

You can A) word it like "Do you support (re)-introduction/maintaining the death penalty for murder ?"

or

You can B) word it like "Do you support (re)-introduction/maintaining the death penalty for murder or do you instead support life in prison with/without the chance of parole ?"

Support for A) is usually at around 65% nationally (lower in strong DEM states, higher in GOP states).

Support for B) is usually around 45-45 in recent polls.

I tried to clarify in my edit above.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 04:11:49 PM »

I support capital punishment in theory, but would vote to outlaw it because of the rampant abuses. If there was a national campaign and the public became more aware of the current situation I think it would fail in most states. In fact, when it's possible that there are innocents currently on death row it's a crime that it hasn't been completely overturned by the government.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 05:44:17 PM »

Strong support for capital punishment in real CA.  Here in the Bay Area, not so much.  I voted no on ending the DP - though I do support some aspects of justice reform.  DP should require DNA evidence.

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=6&year=2012&f=1&off=64
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 05:45:18 PM »

Hawaii would be a yes vote, probably. They're not a very liberal state, just a extremely Democratic one.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 05:50:43 PM »

I would put New Mexico as a Yes vote, but put MD and NJ as a narrow No vote. I do believe the Hispanic community is generally supportive, but the AA community is not.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 11:42:41 PM »

Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 10:19:53 AM »

That's the most beautiful map i've ever seen in my life.

Gross.

Strong support for capital punishment in real CA.  Here in the Bay Area, not so much.

The Bay Area is full of what, Lithuanians? What makes it any less real than the rest of California?
RR1997
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 10:04:52 PM »

Well polls do constantly show that an overwhelming majority of Americans do support the penalty, so the maps above look accurate.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 02:32:57 AM »

If it's just the question "death penalty yes or no" without offering life with/without parole, then almost all states would vote for the death penalty right now.

There are hardly any recent state polls, but even in CA it's still at 55% support (remember that the close referendum vote in 2012 came only with big concessions in funding for victims and solving murder cases), NH supports it 2:1 and support in CO is 75% and 80% in OK ...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies