How much can you bench press?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:40:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How much can you bench press?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Well?
Less than 20 kg

20-40 kg

41-60 kg

61-80 kg

81-100 kg

101-120 kg

121-140 kg

Over 140 kg

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: How much can you bench press?  (Read 1726 times)
Lurker
Norway
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2014, 09:55:25 AM »

Inspired by Liftwieghts34. Tongue
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 08:45:34 PM »

...not much.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 09:06:44 PM »

patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 09:07:55 PM »

Right around 140 kgs, although I usually just do 225lbs for reps since Im getting old and dont want to snap myself up.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 10:05:24 PM »

Sorry?
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 10:07:16 PM »

how do i press bench
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 11:28:23 PM »

About 175lbs
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 07:00:18 AM »

I can curl a martini glass. Bench? Who knows.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 12:02:44 PM »

About 200 pounds.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 04:35:04 PM »

tfw
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 05:24:16 PM »

bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 05:37:09 PM »

Not totally sure, I mostly do 6-8 on the bench press.  My one rep max is probably about 240-250 lbs though.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 05:38:49 PM »

I can curl a martini glass. Bench? Who knows.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 07:58:42 PM »

checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 08:00:55 PM »

AlphaMale192
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 10:43:49 PM »

Over 140.....350 MAD TIMES...IM SHREDDED TO THE MAX AND BUFF AS HELL.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 01:03:39 PM »

okay, I voted 61-80 kg.  

I was at the gym this morning and after swimming a few laps, I remembered this thread and decided to check.  I walked to the free weight room but they looked pretty scary, so I went to the one of the machine rooms.  Finally I found a "chest press" machine and started experimenting.  There's a little pin that is pushed into a weight.  It is set in ten-kilogram increments.  I started with 10.  No problem.  Then 20.  Then 30, and so on.  At about 50 it started getting pretty tough.  At 70 it took most of my strength.  By then I felt like I didn't want to try 80, so we'll call it 70. At sea level on the surface of the earth that mass would have a weight of approximately 154 pounds.  I could probably lift more, but screw it.

Think that's sad?  Here's an even sadder story:  So my son has been asking for a Kid Classic Smoothie every day for a couple of weeks.  Every time we walk past the little cafe area on the upper deck of the club he asks about it, so I finally caved.  One banana, three strawberries, enriched strawberry jelly, concentrated orange juice, and whey protein, all blended to a fairly homogeneous texture and served in disposable styrofoam cup with a plastic lid and bendy straw.  $3.99 plus tax.  

We stopped at the counter and the woman behind the counter says, "May I help you?" and he says, "A Kid Classic, please."  She punches a few buttons on the cash register and then said, "That'll be four twenty-three."  So then he gives her a five-dollar bill.  Then she punches a few more buttons and the drawer opens up.  I said, "I think I have 23 cents..."  I dig around in my pocket and manage to come up with a quarter and three Lincoln cents.  I handed those to her.  Now, bear in mind that at this point the cash register drawer is open, we owe her $4.23, and we have tendered $5.28.  At this point one might reasonably expect her to reach in a take out on dollar and one nickel and hand them to us and close the drawer.  That is not what happened next.  What happened next was that a look of severe consternation came over her face for a few seconds, then she proceeded to stare blankly at the cash register for a while.  Maybe 20 seconds or so.  Then she began moving her lips and counting her fingers, again with the look of consternation.  At length she took a pen, one of those fat Spider Man pens with a fuzzy topper on it, and started scribbling figures on a piece of paper.  After a few seconds of that, she then started looking around frantically, moving small boxes and cups and pencils and pens that were cluttered about the counter.  Eventually she cried out to the guy making the orders, "Do you know where the calculator is?"  He asked, "What?"  She repeated, "Do you know where the calculator is?"  He then walked over to her and inquired about the situation.  She said, "Um, his drink is $4.23 and I punched in $5.00 and it says that I owe him, um, 77 cents.  But then he handed me this change..."  Then the guy said, "Well how much change is it?"  She said, "Well, a quarter and three cents.  Let's see.  Um, that's 28 cents."  "Okay, so he gave you $5.28 and his order is $4.23?"  "Yes."  Long sigh.  His eyes roll and he says, "okay, just give him a dollar and a nickel."  At that point about four minutes had passed since the cash register drawer had opened.  $1.05 was collected from the open cash registered and handed across the counter to me.  "Thank you, your order will be ready in a moment.  Next."

My son and I took a seat at one of the small tables on the balcony overlooking the basketball courts and awaited his Kid Classic Smoothie.  After another five minutes or so had transpired, I went to the other part of the counter, where the guy preparing the orders was, to inquire about the order, thinking that an awfully long pause had occurred.  Long enough, anyway, to prepare the Kid Classic Smoothie.  "Sir?"  "I was just wondering about my son's order..."  "Order?  What did he order?"  "A Kid Classic Smoothie."  "oh, yeah, Kid Classic.  Coming up."  So I sat down again and waited.  After a few minutes of watching him--he appeared to be jerking vigorously on something at about waist level, but the counter was high so I couldn't quite tell what he was doing--I decided to approach the counter again.  At that point, the girl who had been working the cash register came over and asked him what he was doing.  He explained that he was needed to open a new jar of whey protein but was having trouble opening the lid.  She said, "hand it to me."  He promptly handed it to her and she twisted the lid off, apparently with little effort.  It was now her turn to emit a long sigh and roll her eyes.

Eventually, the smoothie was delivered, and it had been completely devoured by the time we walked through our front door at home.  It's only about a 500-meter walk so I think we can assume that it was satisfying and delicious.  Worth the wait, as they say.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 11:32:50 AM »

About 70 kg's (155 pounds)
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 05:17:55 PM »

80 kg today! 

So I went for the free weights.  The bar weighs 20 pounds and I put a 50-pound disc on each side and then lay back on the bench and lifted it.  That was 120 pounds.  It was difficult, but more than that it was scary.  I kept imagining me tilting it and one of those huge discs falling off or somehow I don't get it back into the cradle and it decapitates me.  I rather quickly decided to leave the freeweight area to the meaty guys who generally inhabit it, and I went back upstairs to the chest press machine.  I set it on 80kg and with all my might I lifted it up straight up.  The effort caused me to break wind.  Luckily it was only gas that I expelled.  But over a period of several seconds I managed to lift it until my arms were fully extended.  Then I tried my best to lower it while observing the rule about not slamming the weights.  (I was less successful in that regard.)  Just for fun I immediately sat down at the little sphygmomanometer in the nutrition shop upstairs and measured my blood pressure.  The result was even more scary than the thought of freeweights flying freely.

Once was enough.  I'll stick with 61-80 vote since that's the most I've tried, but honestly I don't think I'll ever again play with anything that heavy just for recreation. 
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 05:42:45 PM »

However much the amount of food in my hand weighs as I lift it to my mouth.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 10:14:13 PM »

Around 83kg (185lbs)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 10:30:54 PM »

80 kg today! 

So I went for the free weights.  The bar weighs 20 pounds and I put a 50-pound disc on each side and then lay back on the bench and lifted it.  That was 120 pounds.  It was difficult, but more than that it was scary.  I kept imagining me tilting it and one of those huge discs falling off or somehow I don't get it back into the cradle and it decapitates me.

There should have been clamps to secure the plates to the bar to prevent them from sliding off. I suggest trying it again, next time asking a guy at the gym to spot you (if you can't get it into "the cradle" your spotter will lift it for you, preventing injury). If you have the weight secured and a spotter, you'll be able to lift safely, thereby allowing you to figure out how much you can actually bench.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2014, 10:19:32 AM »

I actually looked about for a retaining ring or clamp.  Maybe they're on a board on the wall or somewhere.  It's a pretty big room but it's full of stuff so they might not be obvious at a glance.  These bars are pretty fancy, and are fairly heavy all by themselves.  I am curious, though, so I might take a closer look at those in use. 

The guy I usually go to the gym with weighs only about 80 pounds, and he's less than five feet tall, so he might not make a good spotter, but I think you're right that weightlifters should use them.  Most of the guys that part of the gym work out alone, but they tend to be extremely muscular--RIPPED, SHREDDED TO THE MAX, AND BUFF AS HELL--and generally have a thick stack of discs on either side of the bar.  There are a few smaller guys there and they often work out in pairs.  Overall it's a huge sausage fest in that area.  The aerobic dance rooms and the yoga parlors provide the estrogen channel.  Cycling and swimming seems to attract males and females equally.

The pool closed yesterday for one week of resurfacing, so I'll have to find some other way to exercise.  Honestly, I can say that it's not going to be weightlifting.  Probably I'll do the stationary bicycles.  There are several varieties, but my favorite is in a small studio where you touch a button on the side wall and a big screen comes down with list of options allowing the user to choose from several rides.  It has such options as Acadia National Park, Hawaii, and the Bajio country of Mexico.  Just last week I took a 57-minute ride through Spain.  Music plays loudly while a voice urges confidence and tells the rider when to stand, when to sit, when to relax, when to shift or down, etc. 

I think people go to the club mostly for one of three reasons:  To get bigger (those are the young guys on the weights); to get smaller (those are the corpulent women who do the aerobics and, when finished, invade the jacuzzi, their collective presence causing the water to rise to neck level); and (usually middle-aged and older) people who want to stay in reasonably good health.  My systolic blood pressure is pretty consistently around 140 mmHg and my resting blood pressure is usually between 80 and 90 mmHg, which is fairly high.  I started looking at sodium on labels of food recently.  For those who want to reduce blood pressure without using drugs, the American College of Sports medicine recommends swimming, jogging, rowing, walking, aerobics, and cycling.  I actually enjoy cycling and swimming so that's usually what I do. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 11:42:30 AM »
« Edited: December 22, 2014, 11:45:13 AM by Grumps »

She punches a few buttons on the cash register and then said, "That'll be four twenty-three."  So then he gives her a five-dollar bill.  Then she punches a few more buttons and the drawer opens up.  I said, "I think I have 23 cents..."  I dig around in my pocket and manage to come up with a quarter and three Lincoln cents.  I handed those to her.  

Goddamn it angus, only house fraus with lil change purses dig for 23 cents and totally f**k up the lives of everyone in line behind them because they can't just take the change the cashier gives them.  It's like their purses would be set ablaze if they got change back.  I just want to say "here's a f****ing dollar just let the bitch get out of  here so I can check out."

Your man card is history!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tongue
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2014, 01:18:40 PM »

(118 kgs) 260 lbs.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: