Vermont Has Bailed on Single-Payer Health Care
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:27:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Vermont Has Bailed on Single-Payer Health Care
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Vermont Has Bailed on Single-Payer Health Care  (Read 4150 times)
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 07:15:44 PM »
« edited: December 18, 2014, 07:28:20 PM by Sawx, King in the North »

This topic is kind of ridiculous. Shumlin tried single-payer, and put a lot of effort in to it, unlike the other 49 governors, but in the end it just isn't feasible at this point in time. But "Grrrrrrr coward!!!"

Bullsh*t. Here's to hoping Hassan takes over the DGA now (I mean, she's clearly more centrist than Shumlin, but at least she's real about her views).

Hassan was going to the veto medical marijuana bill thereby killing it. She's literally one of the last Dems that should be head of the DGA. This is like saying Joe Manchin should take over for Obama because he failed to close Guantanamo Bay

I have my personal reasons for liking Hassan. I've alluded to them before, but if you dig in a bit to my history, it'll be pretty easy to guess.
Panda Express

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 07:38:55 PM »

This topic is kind of ridiculous. Shumlin tried single-payer, and put a lot of effort in to it, unlike the other 49 governors, but in the end it just isn't feasible at this point in time. But "Grrrrrrr coward!!!"

Bullsh*t. Here's to hoping Hassan takes over the DGA now (I mean, she's clearly more centrist than Shumlin, but at least she's real about her views).

Hassan was going to the veto medical marijuana bill thereby killing it. She's literally one of the last Dems that should be head of the DGA. This is like saying Joe Manchin should take over for Obama because he failed to close Guantanamo Bay

I have my personal reasons for liking Hassan. I've alluded to them before, but if you dig in a bit to my history, it'll be pretty easy to guess.

you hit that didn't you? you dog you.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 07:52:13 PM »

I'd put universal healthcare just a notch higher on the priority list than medical marijuana, but that's just me. On that note, it's not at all unreasonable to have different standards for a governor of New Hampshire and a governor of f'ing Vermont.

Well yes, that's why nobody is calling for Hassan for do single-payer health care. Shumlin has been trying this for years and he's been the only governor that has even tried or pushed for it. It simply isn't feasible at this point in time. If people would actually look at the details, they would see it costs too much money to do this right now. I'm sure Vermont will try again in 5-10 years.  I'm not some super fan of Shumlin or anything, because he has a big honking Pinocchio nose, but I'm not sure what more the people in this topic want from him.

I guess people just expect better from Vermont. It would be like if the Republican governor in Oklahoma wouldn't sign off on huge tax cuts for billionaires, abortion restrictions, etc. Put another way, if Cuomo was the governor of Oklahoma rather than New York, he'd probably be able beat Hitler and Stalin in polls. Tongue
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 08:06:41 PM »

Put another way, if Cuomo was the governor of Oklahoma rather than New York, he'd probably be able beat Hitler and Stalin in polls. Tongue

Depends on who has the R and who has the D behind their name.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2014, 05:42:18 PM »

Amusingly enough, they did it because of taxes. They discovered they would have to raise taxes on every Vermonter by 11.5% (according to that noted right wing rag, Daily Kos) to make this work. As noted on that notable right wing rag, a lot of Vermonters also have health care from Massachusetts, and other states rather than being in Vermont itself.

There wasn't probably enough political muscle, not after the close 2014 Governor race, to push this through. Hence why it was shelved.

You are definitely my favorite commenter.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2014, 06:16:03 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2014, 08:43:16 PM by True Federalist »

The government spends less with a good single payer system.

The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2014, 01:07:20 PM »

The people of Vermont, apparently, disagree with you.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2014, 01:54:47 PM »

WTF is that supposed to mean? This isn't a matter of opinion, this is a matter of facts. 
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2014, 02:21:34 PM »

And yet Shumlin's positively champed at the bit to stick his neck out for things like public abortion funding and physician-assisted suicide. Needless to say, he's not on my list of favorite governors any more. GOOD PRIORITIES, VERMONT. REAL GOOD.

Those things are both important and achievable.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2014, 07:00:07 PM »
« Edited: December 28, 2014, 11:18:29 AM by Badger »

The government spends less with a good single payer system.

Key word 'good' of course. Perhaps Vermont is incapable of creating such without unleashing draconian and hellish California style taxation on their own people.

Oh, wait. Shumlin already conceded that. States are the laboratories of democracy, so its great to see such a miserable failure.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2014, 11:50:55 PM »

And yet Shumlin's positively champed at the bit to stick his neck out for things like public abortion funding and physician-assisted suicide. Needless to say, he's not on my list of favorite governors any more. GOOD PRIORITIES, VERMONT. REAL GOOD.

Those things are both important and achievable.

Well, yes, that's technically the case.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2014, 12:12:55 PM »

WTF is that supposed to mean? This isn't a matter of opinion, this is a matter of facts. 

It means - see Krazen's answer. Through their elected representatives, the people of Vermont don't agree that it will be cheaper for them.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies