Nebraska and Oklahoma sue Colorado over marijuana legalization
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:36:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Nebraska and Oklahoma sue Colorado over marijuana legalization
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Nebraska and Oklahoma sue Colorado over marijuana legalization  (Read 3053 times)
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2014, 08:52:15 PM »

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_27163543/nebraska-and-oklahoma-sue-colorado-over-marijuana-legalization

Torie, weigh in on this lawsuit!
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 09:05:37 PM »

Oh Oklahoma, two can play at this game. Time to sue Braum's and the call centers to cripple Oklahoma's economy. Their own version of sanctions.
Angel of Death
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 09:15:37 PM »

More right-wing hypocrisy when it comes to states' rights. Just like it was with fugitive slave laws.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 09:19:46 PM »

what the hell
Panda Express

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 09:52:33 PM »

Colorado should be the one doing the suing because people with Colorado license plates are intentionally getting targeted by other state's police officers .
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 09:53:35 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Except Colorado isn't the one with a problem.

To the degree this lawsuit has any validity, it still fails since individual States don't have standing to sue concerning non-compliance with Federal laws.  Only the Federal government would have standing, and even then they'd have an extremely high hurdle to jump, and I don't think they've got the leg strength.  Federal drug laws were largely written in an era in which the States were expected to do as they were told, and it was expected the States would be in agreement with anti-drug laws.  I doubt that the sorts of carrots typically used to get State compliance with Federal mandates exist, and even if they do, at most Colorado would have to forgo receiving the carrots.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 10:14:56 PM »

Maybe they should solve their own problems and stop pushing the blame on other states to cover up their outdated laws on the issue.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 12:19:47 AM »

Ernest is correct that they have no standing. Hopefully the voters kick these awful AGs out next election for wasting state money.

Also hilarious that Republicans are suing other states under the idea that federalism is unconstitutional.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 12:33:42 AM »

Ernest is correct that they have no standing. Hopefully the voters kick these awful AGs out next election for wasting state money.

Also hilarious that Republicans are suing other states under the idea that federalism is unconstitutional.

yeah, the quote that legal marijuana is "unconstitutional" really got me.  thanks to the Founders for their wisdom in writing the "nobody shalt be allowed cannabis" clause
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 12:41:00 AM »

If the Supreme Court even hears this they'd likely reject it unanimously. Maybe not Alito since he seems to be sort of a right-wing statist.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 01:15:58 AM »

IceSpear, Braums doesn't employ that many people.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 01:26:24 AM »

I don't think Kennedy I'll go for it. This suit wants the conservative justices to vote against one of the big breakthroughs in conservative jurisprudence of the last 20 years.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 01:29:24 AM »

Scalia won't either. He's actually pretty libertarian on these type of issues.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2014, 01:32:09 AM »

Neither will Thomas. He's probably the least likely of any of the Justices to support this, since he's argued in the past that marijuana prohibition is unconstitutional (and has admitted to using it himself).
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2014, 01:40:59 AM »

it won't get to SCOTUS.. the real fight will be if the next prez goes hard after pot and the feds sue CO/OR and wherever else come 2017.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 01:46:41 AM »

it won't get to SCOTUS.. the real fight will be if the next prez goes hard after pot and the feds sue CO/OR and wherever else come 2017.

Great! Another wedge issue for Clinton to use against the Republicans.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 01:54:32 AM »

I'd be very surprised if Clinton runs as pro-pot legalization.  the best we can hope for is for her to take an open federalist position on the issue.  most likely she will be ambiguous in her answers.  even Obama has never publicly addressed the issue himself to my knowledge, he gave CO/WA the thumbs up via Holder in a private meeting w/Hickenlooper et al.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 02:44:42 AM »

I'd be very surprised if Clinton runs as pro-pot legalization.  the best we can hope for is for her to take an open federalist position on the issue.  most likely she will be ambiguous in her answers.  even Obama has never publicly addressed the issue himself to my knowledge, he gave CO/WA the thumbs up via Holder in a private meeting w/Hickenlooper et al.

Yeah, she'll take the Obama position of "I personally oppose it, but states are free to experiment as they wish" or whatever. I think that's more or less what she said in an interview back in summer. Most of the Republican candidates (with the exception of Paul and maybe a couple others who want to try to carve out a niche) will take a hardline stance against legalization, and will probably propose cracking down on states that have done so.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 02:51:06 AM »

Yeah, she'll take the Obama position of "I personally oppose it, but states are free to experiment as they wish" or whatever. I think that's more or less what she said in an interview back in summer. Most of the Republican candidates (with the exception of Paul and maybe a couple others who want to try to carve out a niche) will take a hardline stance against legalization, and will probably propose cracking down on states that have done so.

"On recreational, states are the laboratories of democracy," Clinton said. "We have at least two states that are experimenting with that right now. I want to wait and see what the evidence is."

doesn't sound too awful, and you'd figure she's unlikely to move right on this particular issue from 2014 to 2017.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2014, 03:55:59 AM »

Gov. Fallin, don't you have something better to do? And Gov. Heineman, do you really want a fruitless lawsuit to be your final act?

This is ridiculous.

bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 01:44:11 PM »

Why don't they have standing?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 02:49:50 PM »

Yes. Insert Bugs Bunny Florida gif here, except for Nebraska and Oklahoma.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 03:11:28 PM »

Pretty pathetic. 
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 04:23:40 PM »

More nonsense from bordering states about marijuana travel.
t_host1

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 11:09:23 PM »

NO BARNEY!
 I was thinking if this stands and were to succeed, states will have no problem collecting from foreign countries that do not contain their growing of what is also contraband in their state – illegal inhabitant’s.  I mean, for a long time states have wanted to bill someone other than ourselves for the cost of the illegal activity within its state that has traveled across its border, correct? 

Problem solved, which means Nebraska and Oklahoma AG's will be in the bong business before any settlement collection will occur.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies