Ancient water in the Earth's crust estimated at 2.5 million cubic miles.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:54:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Ancient water in the Earth's crust estimated at 2.5 million cubic miles.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ancient water in the Earth's crust estimated at 2.5 million cubic miles.  (Read 595 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2014, 11:42:35 PM »

I thought this was very fascinating:

The world's oldest water, which is locked deep within the Earth's crust, is present at a far greater volume than was thought, scientists report.

The liquid, some of which is billions of years old, is found many kilometres beneath the ground.

Researchers estimate there is about 11m cubic kilometres (2.5m cu miles) of it - more water than all the world's rivers, swamps and lakes put together.

It means that great swathes of the deep crust could be harbouring life.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-30527357
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 12:17:20 AM »

oh god no

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 10:45:53 AM »

Yeah, it probably got here early in the Earth's history, and because Earth is not too hot and not too cold, the water remained and life evolved. And this is a major reason why some of the moons like Europa and Titan of the outer gas planets are so interesting. They're thought to harbor large, frozen oceans. Asteroids and comets harbor this as well, of course, which is probably how it got here.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 05:49:26 PM »

Hey, is that the White Rose symbol for York in your signature?  York has a bunch of white rose insignia.

Lancaster is the Red Rose city.  The local city bus is called RRTA (red rose transit authority), the little historical signs have stylized red roses painted on them, and there are red rose bushes on some of the exits from 30.  There's also a red rose credit union and a bar called The Red Rose.

I think both cities took their symbols from the English cities of the war of the roses fame, in which the Lancastrians and Yorkists rivaled one another for domination. 

I never knew about any of this stuff before I moved to PA.  Until a couple of years ago, I always thought that "The War of the Roses" was a movie starring Michael Douglas and a reasonably attractive middle-aged woman who he was divorcing.  Danny DeVito was there too.

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 08:13:21 PM »

My first thought was that the flower is the Tyrell rose from Game of Thrones.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 11:27:28 PM »

So when will Republicans start suggesting mining this water as a solution to drought (as opposed to using less?)?
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 10:53:34 AM »
« Edited: December 20, 2014, 10:57:51 AM by Mopsus »

How long until creationists start arguing that Genesis' "fountains of the deep" referred to this underground reservoir, and that its discovery proves the historicity of Noah's Flood?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 11:09:12 AM »

Hey, is that the White Rose symbol for York in your signature?  York has a bunch of white rose insignia.

I think both cities took their symbols from the English cities of the war of the roses fame, in which the Lancastrians and Yorkists rivaled one another for domination.

Yes, it is! Yes, they did! York, PA used to have a minor league baseball team called the York White Roses, but I think it's defunct now or has moved or changed its name or something.

I like flowers and summer, particularly June when everything is green and new. Stargazers are an early summer flower, and they give off a permeating and wonderful aroma. But I have to count the rose as my favorite - yellow, red, and white, which occur naturally. The white rose, though, is my very favorite. Every now and again, especially during this dreary, cold, dark time of year, I visit a local emporium and buy a white rose with some kind of accent for along side it. I then put it in a vase somewhere where I will see it regularly (dining room, desk, etc.). In my adult years I have come to absolutely love the natural world as it's so full of beauty.

And there is the historical significance of the white rose. It is a very old heraldic symbol used by the House of York. The red rose, though, doesn't appear to have been used by Lancaster until later.

I like to criticize the superstition and so on of the Middle Ages, but I love studying the period because tracing the development of ideas through Newton and also the structure of society where the aristocracy did and still own everything helps me see how we got here.

My first thought was that the flower is the Tyrell rose from Game of Thrones.

I don't watch it, but if the flower looks like that, it's probably based on the white rose of York.

How long until creationists start arguing that Genesis' "fountains of the deep" referred to this underground reservoir, and that its discovery proves the historicity of Noah's Flood?

I'm sure the Creation Museum or whatever is already hard at work on that! Dragons and behemoths, of course, are really dinosaurs. Wink Never mind the rock layers don't agree.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 11:10:02 AM »

I wouldn't be surprised if some of them have already done so despite the fact that if brought to the surface, it would only cover the Earth to a depth of 40 cubits or so,
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 12:00:33 PM »

What if there's an intelligent civilisation living in the crust that we don't know about? There would be aliens- but on Earth! I imagine any kind of life form living there would be either relicts or very strange to us.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 12:37:32 PM »

What if there's an intelligent civilisation living in the crust that we don't know about? There would be aliens- but on Earth! I imagine any kind of life form living there would be either relicts or very strange to us.

Yes see my post earlier in the thread.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies