Opinion of Pro-Life Feminists
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:30:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Pro-Life Feminists
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ?
Freedom Fighters

Horrible People

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Opinion of Pro-Life Feminists  (Read 4684 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 12:35:04 PM »

Silly.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2014, 01:56:33 PM »

I've only met one person who would fit this bill, and they're horrible. I voted accordingly.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 02:35:50 PM »

You're not a feminist if you think women shouldn't have control over their own bodies.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2014, 03:01:20 PM »
« Edited: December 19, 2014, 03:07:47 PM by politicus »

You're not a feminist if you think women shouldn't have control over their own bodies.

You are right when it comes to forced pregnancy (rape and incest), but not with a voluntary pregnancy. Believing that human life has value and rights and that women should take responsibility for their own actions (incl. missteps) is not anathema to being a feminist.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2014, 03:05:52 PM »

I can understand the notion of a pro-life feminist even if I am not pro-life myself - if someone truly thought an embryo was sapient from fertilisation, then I can understand why they are opposed to abortion. I can comprehend the worldview that opposes abortion, but I cannot understand why anybody would oppose feminism.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2014, 04:53:40 PM »

I can understand the notion of a pro-life feminist even if I am not pro-life myself - if someone truly thought an embryo was sapient from fertilisation, then I can understand why they are opposed to abortion. I can comprehend the worldview that opposes abortion, but I cannot understand why anybody would oppose feminism.

Coming from socon land, its largely because feminism and the policies it promotes are perceived as either undermining the family (e.g. no-fault divorce), or mass murder of innocents in the case of abortion.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2014, 05:57:41 PM »

I know people like this exist, but I just kinda pretend that they don't.

Why? Because it doesn't fit in with some simplistic narrative of how people should think?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2014, 06:06:12 PM »

There are many people who genuinely support restricting abortion due to sexist and misogynistic attitudes toward women and their sexual liberty. But if you genuinely believe that an abortion involves the termination of an innocent human life (as many people, women and feminists included, often do) then supporting abortion restrictions is not a sexist act, nor is it in contradiction to the central concepts of feminism. Pro-life feminists are simply feminists earnestly believe abortion is, at one point or another, immoral and harmful.

There are more nuances at work in politics and life that some people don't seem to acknowledge, probably because they don't translate well to gif form.
checkers
Not Great Bob
Australia

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2014, 01:36:21 AM »

I think CrabCake and Marokai summarised my views pretty nicely. As a pro-choice feminist, the right to have an abortion is central to my conception of reproductive freedom and thus women's rights, and I find it hard to understand how someone can be a feminist and not see it that way, but at the same time, I can accept that some people might have religious reasons for viewing an unborn child as a life, and I don't want to exclude those people, particularly women who have to deal with sexism in other ways.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2014, 03:34:11 AM »
« Edited: December 20, 2014, 03:37:24 AM by ZuWo »

I wanted to vote FF when I read the poll question but then some male teenagers and their definition of feminism opened my eyes so I immediately switched my vote to HP.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2014, 01:34:50 PM »

I wanted to vote FF when I read the poll question but then some male teenagers and their definition of feminism opened my eyes so I immediately switched my vote to HP.

Glad we could help! Smiley
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »

Epic FFs.  Feminism shouldn't be about abortion; it should be about equal rights and opportunity for women.  Contraceptives and adoption are OK, but nobody should ever have the "right" to kill unborn children.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2014, 07:53:27 PM »

Why? Because it doesn't fit in with some simplistic narrative of how people should think?

No, because it's like one calling themselves a Libertarian whilst supporting progressive taxation and foreign occupation.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2014, 08:06:59 PM »

No, because it's like one calling themselves a Libertarian whilst supporting progressive taxation and foreign occupation.

Not really. I don't see how being Pro-Life is incompatible with being a Feminist, unless you take the simplistic view that opposing abortion equals hating women.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2014, 08:07:46 PM »

Freedom Fighters, I guess. I don't agree with the pro-life part, but I can understand why people (including many women) have pro-life views, especially when you consider that in certain parts of the world, aborting unborn females is still accepted and practiced.

Abortion's not an issue I care about though, so whatever you guys wanna do.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2014, 10:51:15 PM »

I would consider myself one.

Being pro-life doesn't have much to do with women's rights. I know that statement goes against today's popular politicking, and you can put it in the deluge if you want, but it's what I believe.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2014, 05:01:35 AM »

Not really. I don't see how being Pro-Life is incompatible with being a Feminist, unless you take the simplistic view that opposing abortion equals hating women.

This sort of thing is why discussion on abortion is so enervating. While I am personally pro-choice, I know people very close to me who are pro-life for religious reasons. Many of them are also feminists. The types who insist that pro-life politics are inherently misogynystic delude themselves in order to exclude those that they dislike.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2014, 05:14:02 AM »

If you want to get a sense of where some of our fellow forumites stand on this view, you should probably read up on this thread.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2014, 08:37:11 PM »

I would consider myself one.

Being pro-life doesn't have much to do with women's rights. I know that statement goes against today's popular politicking, and you can put it in the deluge if you want, but it's what I believe.
I would consider myself a pro-life feminist as well.  Thank you for a much-needed breath of fresh air!
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2014, 10:08:38 PM »

Feminism is, at its core, about women having ultimate autonomy over their bodies.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2014, 02:41:13 AM »

Feminism is, at its core, about women having ultimate autonomy over their bodies.

Even if they sincerely believe that abortion is murder?
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2014, 06:39:35 AM »

Pro-life feminists tend to avoid the worst aspect of feminism, and the worst aspects of anti-abortion arguments and activism. FF.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2014, 08:27:43 AM »

Even if they sincerely believe that abortion is murder?

Well, like I said, one can't call themselves a Libertarian whilst believing that Government should regulate the market. It's a contradictory view. If feminism is about women controlling their bodies, and someone believes that a woman shouldn't have control of their body, it violates that belief.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2014, 08:37:06 AM »

Not all feminists would agree with that at all.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2014, 08:52:54 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies