Christmas traditions unique to your country/region (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:03:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Christmas traditions unique to your country/region (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Christmas traditions unique to your country/region  (Read 4497 times)
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« on: December 19, 2014, 05:41:42 PM »

Basically what Tender already mentioned.

Also, we celebrate Christmas on the evening of the 24th, not just on the 25th (then of course too, but it starts a day earlier)
And we don't have Santa to bring the present, but the Christkind, which is supposed to be little Jesus flying through the air, bringing the presents through a window or whatever and putting them down under the tree.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 01:33:54 PM »

Actually, to make everything a bit more disturbing, please let me show you what we do in my village instead of the whole Krampus thing. Interestingly, every other village in my area does the usual thing, which Tender already showed, but just we do something different, already on December 5th, and not 6th as it's usual everywhere else.

Instead of the Krampus accompanying the Nikolaus, we have the Tuifl, which is a dialect word for "devil". They wear nothing but red trousers, smear soot over their whole body, and run around that way all throughout the village, the whole afternoon, smearing and smacking everyone that else goes through the village. A few of them follow St. Nikolaus to the houses of children, and then either wait outside, or are allowed in, in turning smearing everything with soot.

It looks like this:

Yes, Austria is indeed a disturbing place Tongue
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 01:47:44 PM »

Yeah... My grandpa earlier let them in every year, just because he knew my mum and my grandma were a bit scared of them Tongue

Well, it's quite hard to remove, actually. It takes it's time Tongue

Hahaha, really? That's gross.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies