Opinion of Africa Liberal Network
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:09:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Africa Liberal Network
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FN

HN

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Opinion of Africa Liberal Network  (Read 315 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 19, 2014, 02:33:45 PM »
« edited: December 20, 2014, 12:57:46 AM by politicus »

Liberalism as an ideology is alien to traditional communal African values and it's often a bit strange to see which parties pick it up as an (often token) ideology, but there are still some good parties on that list. South Africa's  Democratic Alliance being one of the biggest and better known - and more actual liberal than most. 

Politologists often assume that you can not win African elections unless your party is nationalist and populist - and a lot of those parties are very small - but I still  think African politics could do with a bit of liberalism, so FF as an idea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa_Liberal_Network
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 11:47:34 AM »

Essentially a bunch of perpetual no-hopers (apart from the Oranges, who seem rather out of place).

Good at providing token opposition though.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 12:11:38 PM »

Essentially a bunch of perpetual no-hopers (apart from the Oranges, who seem rather out of place).

Good at providing token opposition though.

Not all of them. UPND has a very good chance of winning the Zambian presidential election. I would say they are favoured at this point (if no foul play) and CUP has 40% of the seats on Zanzibar (with some rigging - would have won otherwise) and a good chance next time.
I think some of them will prevail with elections generally becoming fairer in a range of countries.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 03:27:26 PM »
« Edited: December 21, 2014, 03:33:44 PM by Redalgo »

Freedom network, at least at first glance, without knowing about the parties aligned with the organization. It seems that ethnic nationalism, communitarianism, and at least some authoritarian values thrive in most African, Asian, and Eastern European countries right now. Although I automatically associate liberal causes with efforts to protect individual rights owed to all of humanity, it is also important to recognize that every civilization tends to sculpt human values into shapes different than all the rest. It is up to the peoples who live in Africa, for example, to decide whether liberalism in politics is compatible with what they aspire to see take root in government. If not, I prefer to accept it instead of dogmatically insist the likes of ALN prevail.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies