Why isn't NM growing fast like other SW states ? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:23:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why isn't NM growing fast like other SW states ? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why isn't NM growing fast like other SW states ?  (Read 3695 times)
CountyTy90
United States

« on: December 20, 2014, 06:46:37 PM »

I think for a couple different reasons. First off, Albuquerque isn't that large to where it's a booming city and economy like Denver or Phoenix attracting people from all over. Also to me, the landscape seems more indicative of West Texas than Arizona and West Texas is not exactly booming either. I also think it's a bit isolated; it's pretty much smack dab in the middle of the country. While Arizona and Nevada are close to California, New Mexico, again, is next to West Texas.

That being said, I would rather live in New Mexico than Arizona, Nevada, Texas any day of the week.
CountyTy90
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 09:53:12 PM »

I've never entirely understood what people...do...in New Mexico. There are a few ranches in the eastern part of the state. They have some oil and gas, but not much.

You've got the research labs at Los Alamos, but not everyone is a nuclear physicist.

So do other people just work as seasonal ski bums and sell art?

Texans are Cowboys and Oilmen, Coloradans are pot smoking snowboarders, and I have no idea for New Mexico. It seriously has nothing unique to me.

Are you kidding? If I had to pick one of the most culturally rich states I honestly would pick New Mexico. It has such a diverse population, landscape, history, etc. It's called the Land of Enchantment for a reason.

Despite it being called New Mexico, a large percent of New Mexico's Hispanic population is actually not Mexican, they're Spanish, descendents from the Spaniards who settled the area.

Then you have the numerous Native American tribes. Pottery, jewelry, rugs, among others are their specialty and draw tourists every year.

I would disagree and say that New Mexico is actually one of the most unique states we have.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies