NYPD officers shot dead as "revenge" for Garner decision.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:25:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYPD officers shot dead as "revenge" for Garner decision.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: NYPD officers shot dead as "revenge" for Garner decision.  (Read 6383 times)
badgate
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2014, 08:09:06 PM »

RIP officers Liu and Ramos. A symbol of the tremendous diversity that is the NYPD. The complete lack of respect that so many showed for people in uniform helped lead to this and this chuckle head DeBlasio doesnt help things either.

Governor Cuomo, is that you?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2014, 08:16:38 PM »

people either will or won't.  the likely alternative is an endless volley between people with pro-cop sympathies, who will feign tremendous grief and righteous anger at the growing anti-cop social movement, and the rest of us, who will say "live by the sword, die by the sword."  if police can continue to kill at will with legal impunity, it'll be clear to all with a greivance that "seeking justice" though the legal channels is a rigged game, and there will be those who take matters into their own hands.

RIP officers Liu and Ramos. A symbol of the tremendous diversity that is the NYPD.

we all shall cry a liberal crocodile tear at this one.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

"respect was invented to fill the place where love should be".  Tolstoy via Anna Karenina.

"lack of respect" -- why should police be respected?  at the one extreme, there's every reason for plenty of people to view them as the enemy, for reasons too obvious to need explanation.

this whole "respect cops" nonsense has taken a deep hold though, you are right.  they rank just below the military among the divine Icons of American civil religion, and for the most part get compensated quite well for a job that's not nearly as dangerous as all of those TV dramas would make it seem.  (as I said a few weeks ago, it's safer to be a cop than a construction worker, let alone a coal miner, let alone a nonunion construction worker or coal miner!)

we're at the point where the police do expect to be nothing short of worshipped.I'm sure you've seen the cop unions respond to the NFL players with the "hands up" gesture in St Louis and the "RIP Tamir Rice" in Cleveland.  both were incredulous and demanded the players' employers punish them for their "disrespect towards the police".  

the anger at de Blasio grows out of the same attitude.  how dare the Mayor meet with actual citizens!  he shoud be denouncing them while working closely with the PBA to find a way to crack as many of the protestors' skulls as possible.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2014, 08:21:25 PM »

Well, police deserve respect as human beings, just as all humans deserve respect. You're a little too "sage" for your own argument tweed... not everyone can be loved. Leave that up to Jesus. Human love is something that is in precious quantity... we can only apportion it out one at a time. Respect, on the other hand, is something that can be delivered.

The evidence in the Michael Brown situation is conflicting at best. The sports team shouldn't be taking a side there.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2014, 08:21:49 PM »

Christ, their bodies still warm and the fascists are already exploiting their deaths to attack those who dare criticize the police.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2014, 08:24:57 PM »

There should be respect for the vast majority who do a very difficult job helping keep the city safe.  Those who abuse their authority should be dealt with and not shielded.

The diversity of he department is highlighted because many like to spin the white racist cop angle, when the department will soon be majority minority.  
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2014, 08:33:34 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2014, 08:37:12 PM by Lief »

https://twitter.com/robnelsonabc7/status/546472527527432192
https://twitter.com/robnelsonabc7/status/546473505240674304

Disgusting. Bratton's going on about the "anti-police movement" too. It's gonna be open season on blacks in New York the next few weeks.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2014, 08:37:37 PM »

https://twitter.com/robnelsonabc7/status/546472527527432192
https://twitter.com/robnelsonabc7/status/546473505240674304

Disgusting. Bratton's going on about the "anti-police movement" too. It's gonna be open season on blacks in New York the next few weeks.
Kristallnacht.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2014, 08:37:51 PM »

Christ, their bodies still warm and the fascists are already exploiting their deaths to attack those who dare criticize the police.

There is criticizing the actions of individual police officers and on the other hand others who marched down the streets of Manhattan calling for dead cops and some assaulting cops while doing their jobs. I personally think some elements of the protests turned the temperature up too high.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2014, 08:39:06 PM »

There is criticizing the actions of individual police officers and on the other hand others who marched down the streets of Manhattan calling for dead cops and some assaulting cops while doing their jobs. I personally think some elements of the protests turned the temperature up too high.

I went to the protest in Covington. Nobody who participated called for killing cops.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2014, 08:45:30 PM »

Well, police deserve respect as human beings, just as all humans deserve respect. You're a little too "sage" for your own argument tweed... not everyone can be loved. Leave that up to Jesus. Human love is something that is in precious quantity... we can only apportion it out one at a time. Respect, on the other hand, is something that can be delivered.

to go back to 19th Century Russian lit, here to Turgenev, Bazarov was asked by the proud noble Pavel Petrovich if he "had respect" for the aristocracy.  his answer: respect, what's that?  if they're correct, I'll agree with them; beyond that, I owe them nothing.

the concept of "respect" in the cop context is not of your universal cry, "all humans deserve respect."  I've no objection to that -- that's simply the absence of sociopathy, not a high bar to clear.  

no, the idea here is that the police somehow deserve to be more respected, or respected in a special way, that in practice crosses the line into veneration.  their claims and interests must supercede that of the general population.  these two cops will be venerated, idealized in death, and we'll hear how brave they were and what great fathers they were, etc... yet a mere public statement of "RIP" for Brown, or for Garner, or Tamir Rice -- gets the cops so angry that union heads write fuming letters demanding that anyone of stature who says such a thing should be punished.

all that can be concluded from this is that "respect the cops" in practice means to treat them as more important, more virtuous men than those they supposedly serve -- and Lord have mercy on you if you grieve for one of the unpeople, subhumans who die at the hands of the cops.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2014, 08:46:15 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2014, 11:26:57 PM by True Federalist »

Holy hell those Instagram posts are chilling...jeez. Shooter was obvious filth with a lot of issues.

Plenty of people on twitter either applauding it or engaging in whataboutery.

I'm not surprised, sadly. People who do so are just absolutely vile.

(Modified to remove reference to a deleted post. - TF)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2014, 08:52:32 PM »

I went to the protest in Covington. Nobody who participated called for killing cops.

There is responsible, legitimate protests and then others that express themselves in misdirected destruction, rage and foster violence. I dont intend to label protesters in general as irresponsible at all just as I dont think that all police should be cast as villains or angels for that matter.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2014, 08:57:18 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2014, 09:16:58 PM by Governor Varavour »

This thread is an atrocity. Lief's posts are particularly  disappointing, though.

I look forward to hearing an actual local's input.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2014, 09:04:02 PM »

the concept of "respect" in the cop context is not of your universal cry, "all humans deserve respect."  I've no objection to that -- that's simply the absence of sociopathy, not a high bar to clear.  

all that can be concluded from this is that "respect the cops" in practice means to treat them as more important, more virtuous men than those they supposedly serve -- and Lord have mercy on you if you grieve for one of the unpeople, subhumans who die at the hands of the cops.

That's true, the police don't deserve veneration solely by being police. That's an attitude that certainly exists out there and it's stupid. Unfortunately the policing profession often attracts unsubtle people so the police unions' bullying attempts aren't surprising.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2014, 09:07:48 PM »

This thread is an atrocity. Lief's posts are disappointing, though.

I lived here my whole life and I am old enough to remember NYC as a mecca of violence.  I'd prefer it not to go back to that even if it meant hipster exodus Wink 
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2014, 09:08:50 PM »

Non-violent protest continues to be the only acceptable form of civil disobedience and needs to be stressed to the stupid people in this world
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2014, 09:09:16 PM »

NYPD officers turn away from Mayor de Blasio as he enters police presser for murdered cops
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2014, 09:10:47 PM »

I lived here my whole life and I am old enough to remember NYC as a mecca of violence.  I'd prefer it not to go back to that even if it meant hipster exodus Wink 

Well I don't think anyone is planning to reintroduce widespread use of lead-based paint, so there's no need to worry about that.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2014, 09:16:31 PM »

Your posts, it should go with out saying, are not what have inspired such ire. They are actually quite good.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2014, 09:17:22 PM »

The NYPD responds with poignant, non-political responses as they are wont to do:

patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2014, 09:18:01 PM »

Surely, the police are allowed their own non violent protests?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2014, 09:19:42 PM »

Yes, and people are allowed to criticize them for acting like spoiled children.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2014, 09:22:56 PM »

(he's now deleted the tweet)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2014, 09:25:35 PM »

Many of them feel the mayor has helped create an environment that makes their jobs more difficult and dangerous and that he didnt have their back, so they showed him theirs.  I dont think it is childish when you feel it is your own personal safety at play.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2014, 09:28:31 PM »

Trying to pin this tragedy on those, who rightly protested an awful thing that happened in Ferguson is as stupid and disguisting as our friend talking about this being a "political insurgency".

Could the both sides please stop using the two still warm bodies as speaking platform?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies