NYPD officers shot dead as "revenge" for Garner decision.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:32:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYPD officers shot dead as "revenge" for Garner decision.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: NYPD officers shot dead as "revenge" for Garner decision.  (Read 6428 times)
badgate
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2014, 09:35:44 PM »

He misspelled de Blasio. The governance of his state is clearly so important to him that he takes care to learn how to spell the names of its elected officials.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2014, 09:38:17 PM »

https://twitter.com/robnelsonabc7/status/546472527527432192
https://twitter.com/robnelsonabc7/status/546473505240674304

Disgusting. Bratton's going on about the "anti-police movement" too. It's gonna be open season on blacks in New York the next few weeks.

I guess they'll be shooting a few extra blacks to show them.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2014, 09:40:55 PM »

It's not the mayor's fault that some thug killed some cops after killing his girlfriend, and then mentioned Garner. I doubt that has anything to do with why he became a murderer.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2014, 09:42:32 PM »

Could the both sides please stop using the two still warm bodies as speaking platform?

I tend to disagree Kal. I think it is important to have a discourse about issues and it is even more relevant in times of tragedy.  I find the gun lobby often uses this tactic in the aftermath of school shootings to close off debate and seemingly introspection. Maybe some of the hundreds who were shouting for dead cops in the video I posted will think again.  Maybe some cop will release his damn chokehold the next time.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2014, 09:44:38 PM »

People on this forum need to get over their fetishes of "moderate" Republicans. Pataki is a perfect example of a "moderate" Republican, and it's clear that he's an epic HP.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2014, 09:45:43 PM »

Remember back to Gabby Giffords shooting and how the discourse was arguing over whether The Rhetoric had lead to her shooting. Sure, they argued, one man pulled the trigger but clearly it was the right-wing environment of hate which really it did. Of course, most conservatives denied this attempt to label cuplability on them and the smarter ones dismisses this as a classic leftie wishie-washie sociological determinism to attack things they don't like.

Yet apparently now some of these same pundits are looking at the actions of individuals and seeing the long arm of society at work. We are no longer individuals. Who knew.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2014, 09:52:26 PM »

Disgusting. Bratton's going on about the "anti-police movement" too. It's gonna be open season on blacks in New York the next few weeks.

This grotesque caricature of police as some mindless killing machine is not helpful and an ugly counter to the one that racists perpetuate for young black men.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2014, 09:56:57 PM »

This grotesque caricature of police as some mindless killing machine is not helpful and an ugly counter to the one that racists perpetuate for young black men.

Obviously you didn't read their tweet. They just declared war.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2014, 09:59:20 PM »

Remember back to Gabby Giffords shooting and how the discourse was arguing over whether The Rhetoric had lead to her shooting. Sure, they argued, one man pulled the trigger but clearly it was the right-wing environment of hate which really it did. Of course, most conservatives denied this attempt to label cuplability on them and the smarter ones dismisses this as a classic leftie wishie-washie sociological determinism to attack things they don't like.

Yet apparently now some of these same pundits are looking at the actions of individuals and seeing the long arm of society at work. We are no longer individuals. Who knew.

While individuals are ultimately the ones who are responsible and culpable for their behavior, they also don't operate in a vacuum.  The casual chain is quite clear when someone explicitly states their motivations.  I doubt without the recent events that the killer would have made a 4 hour trip up to NYC to kill some cops after killing his girlfriend. Maybe a suicide by cop scenario down in Baltimore but that is clear speculation.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2014, 10:01:46 PM »

Obviously you didn't read their tweet. They just declared war.

The conditions faced are as hostile as theyve been in the last 20 years. The allusions to the wartime activities are not to shooting with abandon but Lynch is calling for back up on all activities.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2014, 10:02:38 PM »

And vice versa,  Gully. And vice versa.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2014, 10:18:31 PM »

I have a hard time seeing how De Blasio can hold on with this now.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2014, 10:22:18 PM »

I have a hard time seeing how De Blasio can hold on with this now.

a) that's three years from now b) NYC is a majority-minority electorate.  a Dem could lose 4 of 5 whites and win
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2014, 10:27:42 PM »

And vice versa,  Gully. And vice versa.

Perhaps I'm being dense here, but what is your point?
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2014, 10:56:29 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2014, 10:58:36 PM by SilentCal1924 »

A simple question.

Why is it that the anti-police folks here were all over Ferguson, and New York, and regularly called out issues of police brutality but now we're not expected to discuss that the police do face great dangers in everyday life? That there are substantial amounts of minorities on the police force across America? And that they face risks and they make decisions everyday, that, imperfect as they are, tend to be on balance decisions that keep communities safe? We're going to pretend this is now a non-political issue?

We can all agree police officers are better off with better race relations, uniform cameras, and so on but I heard a lot of anti-"pigs" rhetoric here the last few weeks. I've heard comments about how America being a terrible nation, and all that. Now we've seen that rhetoric turn into forcible action. It's no better than the Right's demonizing minority communities as havens of crime, and so on. And it's equally tragic.

But we can't just pretend that Ferguson and Brooklyn (wherever it was) and so on are political issues but the murder of two cops isn't something that profoundly affects our society too, on the other side of the ledger.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2014, 11:00:24 PM »

A simple question.

Why is it that the anti-police folks here were all over Ferguson, and New York, and regularly called out issues of police brutality but now we're not expected to discuss that the police do face great dangers in everyday life? That there are substantial amounts of minorities on the police force across America? And that they face risks and they make decisions everyday, that, imperfect as they are, tend to be on balance decisions that keep communities safe? We're going to pretend this is now a non-political issue?

We can all agree police officers are better off with better race relations, uniform cameras, and so on but I heard a lot of anti-"pigs" rhetoric here the last few weeks. I've heard comments about how America being a terrible nation, and all that. Now we've seen that rhetoric turn into forcible action. It's no better than the Right's demonizing minority communities as havens of crime, and so on. And it's equally tragic.

But we can't just pretend that Ferguson and Brooklyn (wherever it was) and so on are political issues but the murder of two cops isn't something that profoundly affects our society too, on the other side of the ledger.

Obviously murders are bad regardless of who is on which side of the thin blue line. But it's clear that some are making a huge deal of this to exploit for political purposes. 1 guy killed 4 Oakland cops a few years ago, and I don't think that was anywhere as big a story.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2014, 11:02:52 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2014, 11:37:05 PM by True Federalist »

I think that stylizing cops as some monolithic, out of control death squad is awful. I know many cops and they just want to do the job and get home to their families.  They don't get out of bed hoping to shoot black people, many of them "happen to be black" themselves. You have some overly aggressive and indeed some racists cops.  The same simplistic labeling of groups is what leads to the stereotyping of black men that can lead to their death, since some only see a criminal and not a human being.

(Modified to remove reference to a deleted post - TF)
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2014, 11:03:44 PM »

A simple question.

Obviously murders are bad regardless of who is on which side of the thin blue line. But it's clear that some are making a huge deal of this to exploit for political purposes. 1 guy killed 4 Oakland cops a few years ago, and I don't think that was anywhere as big a story.

The thing, police brutality is a political issue. It was made a very political issue just a few weeks ago and extremely so. Liberals were galvanized and made it very political and someone here even compared the reactions to the 2014 midterm racial breakdown.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2014, 11:26:20 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2014, 11:39:45 PM by True Federalist »

Many of them feel the mayor has helped create an environment that makes their jobs more difficult and dangerous and that he didnt have their back, so they showed him theirs.  I dont think it is childish when you feel it is your own personal safety at play.

You do realize that many, if not most, of the Brown/Garner protestors acted as they did because they believed that it was their "personal safety at play"?  Why can't the police force have the basic human empathy to respect that perspective and not throw a fit at the slightest criticism?  Wouldn't it be better to actually engage in dialogue with people, and honestly seek to build bridges/root out the bad apples, instead of dragging down the majority of good folks in a shameful, illogical show like this?

As for this murderer, long may he rot in hell.  I'm inclined to agree with Beet and IceSpear on the first page that this was a cowardly, vainglorious act by someone who had already done the unspeakable and decided to hypocritically go out in a "blaze of glory" or whatever. My heart goes out to all three of his victims and their families.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2014, 11:29:19 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2014, 11:40:15 PM by True Federalist »

Many of them feel the mayor has helped create an environment that makes their jobs more difficult and dangerous and that he didnt have their back, so they showed him theirs.  I dont think it is childish when you feel it is your own personal safety at play.

You do realize that many, if not most, of the Brown/Garner protestors acted as they did because they believed that it was their "personal safety at play"?  Why can't the police force have the basic human empathy to respect that perspective and not throw a fit at the slightest criticism?

As for this murderer, long may he rot in hell.  I'm inclined to agree with Beet and IceSpear on the first page that this was a cowardly, vainglorious act by someone who had already done the unspeakable and decided to hypocritically go out in a "blaze of glory" or whatever. My heart goes out to all three of his victims and their families.

NYPD wants you to forget that they weren't the first victims of this serial killer.

patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2014, 11:33:44 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2014, 11:40:45 PM by True Federalist »

You do realize that many, if not most, of the Brown/Garner protestors acted as they did because they believed that it was their "personal safety at play"?  Why can't the police force have the basic human empathy to respect that perspective and not throw a fit at the slightest criticism?

NYPD wants you to forget that they weren't the first victims of this serial killer.

Latest reports Ive seen is that the girlfriend was wounded and alive. Hope she recovers.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2014, 11:39:22 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2014, 11:41:31 PM by True Federalist »

Latest reports Ive seen is that the girlfriend was wounded and alive. Hope she recovers.

OK, I guess I didn't have the right facts, but anyways this wasn't some innocent guy who the protesters suddenly convinced to kill a couple of cops. This is a guy who decided to see if he could be known as a martyr rather than the common thug that he was.

traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2014, 11:46:58 PM »

That's good to hear (though of course nothing about this tragedy is in any way good, but you know what I mean); thanks for the correction.

(Less thanks to Ernest. Tongue)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2014, 11:51:03 PM »

That's good to hear (though of course nothing about this tragedy is in any way good, but you know what I mean); thanks for the correction.

(Less thanks to Ernest. Tongue)

Just letting people know that it wasn't anything patrick did that caused his post to be moderated.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2014, 11:52:49 PM »

OK, I guess I didn't have the right facts, but anyways this wasn't some innocent guy who the protesters suddenly convinced to kill a couple of cops. This is a guy who decided to see if he could be known as a martyr rather than the common thug that he was.

Disturbed and violent people have a tendency to rally around and co-opt causes.  I think people with legitimate causes have to be cognizant of that. I dont care if it is pro life activists, globalization opponents or police protesters. Dehumanizing a group of people, whether it be a referral to pigs, monkeys kaffir, invariably leads to violence.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies