NYPD officers shot dead as "revenge" for Garner decision.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:16:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYPD officers shot dead as "revenge" for Garner decision.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: NYPD officers shot dead as "revenge" for Garner decision.  (Read 6426 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2014, 11:56:33 PM »

Remember back to Gabby Giffords shooting and how the discourse was arguing over whether The Rhetoric had lead to her shooting. Sure, they argued, one man pulled the trigger but clearly it was the right-wing environment of hate which really it did. Of course, most conservatives denied this attempt to label cuplability on them and the smarter ones dismisses this as a classic leftie wishie-washie sociological determinism to attack things they don't like.

Yet apparently now some of these same pundits are looking at the actions of individuals and seeing the long arm of society at work. We are no longer individuals. Who knew.

And vice versa,  Gully. And vice versa.

Perhaps I'm being dense here, but what is your point?

To not make snide quips about one side's hypocrisy when the other is just as hypocritical, if not more so.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2014, 12:29:01 AM »

Many of them feel the mayor has helped create an environment that makes their jobs more difficult and dangerous and that he didnt have their back, so they showed him theirs.  I dont think it is childish when you feel it is your own personal safety at play.

You do realize that many, if not most, of the Brown/Garner protestors acted as they did because they believed that it was their "personal safety at play"?  Why can't the police force have the basic human empathy to respect that perspective and not throw a fit at the slightest criticism?

As for this murderer, long may he rot in hell.  I'm inclined to agree with Beet and IceSpear on the first page that this was a cowardly, vainglorious act by someone who had already done the unspeakable and decided to hypocritically go out in a "blaze of glory" or whatever. My heart goes out to all three of his victims and their families.

NYPD wants you to forget that they weren't the first victims of this serial killer.

Latest reports Ive seen is that the girlfriend was wounded and alive. Hope she recovers.

OK, I guess I didn't have the right facts, but anyways this wasn't some innocent guy who the protesters suddenly convinced to kill a couple of cops. This is a guy who decided to see if he could be known as a martyr rather than the common thug that he was.

(Modified to remove reference to a deleted post - TF)

Disturbed and violent people have a tendency to rally around and co-opt causes.  I think people with legitimate causes have to be cognizant of that. I dont care if it is pro life activists, globalization opponents or police protesters. Dehumanizing a group of people, whether it be a referral to pigs, monkeys kaffir, invariably leads to violence.

The police kind of dehumanize themselves when they're in SWAT gear.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2014, 01:13:22 AM »

I don't even know what to say.  This happened about a mile away from me in my neighborhood.  It makes me sick.  It makes me sad.  As someone who has lost friends to random gun violence, I can't really just see this as more than that, a human tragedy.  Thinking about these incidents is so sad.  When you think about the amount of evil in the callous heart of this monster, it's like looking into the abyss.     

This is Brooklyn.  Where gang members shot a baby execution style last year.  Where a 14 year old unloaded a gun on a bus, killing a random bystander.  Where a guy I knew was murdered by a couple of teenagers because he didn't have any money on him.  We're safer than most major cities, but violence here is still an incredible blight.  The guns, the violence, the stupidity, it is disgusting in every way.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2014, 02:00:19 AM »

Apologies for the source, but considering the earlier hubbub last summer over professors exchanging anti-Israel e-mails, Brandeis may become the bete noir of the American Right:

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/student-leader-no-sympathy-executed-nypd-officers

You must be logged in to read this quote.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2014, 02:14:23 AM »

Apologies for the source, but considering the earlier hubbub last summer over professors exchanging anti-Israel e-mails, Brandeis may become the bete noir of the American Right:

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/student-leader-no-sympathy-executed-nypd-officers

You must be logged in to read this quote.

OK, both sides have stupid tweets, but on the protester's side it's some random student leaders, while on the other side it's the NYPD union leader and George Pataki.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #80 on: December 21, 2014, 04:09:55 AM »

It says a lot about the NYPD that they can be the victims of an absolute tragedy and I end up having a worse opinion about them by the end of the night.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #81 on: December 21, 2014, 04:50:14 AM »

Two wrongs don't make a right. Sadly many people forget that.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #82 on: December 21, 2014, 06:41:29 AM »
« Edited: December 21, 2014, 06:43:11 AM by Antonio V »

Well, this will serve to make the double standard all the more blatant. A cop kills some black guy? Oh, whatever, sh*t happens. A cop gets killed by some black guy? OMG this is barbaric! Cry
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #83 on: December 21, 2014, 07:42:44 AM »
« Edited: December 21, 2014, 04:13:41 PM by True Federalist »

Well, this will serve to make the double standard all the more blatant. A cop kills some black guy? Oh, whatever, sh*t happens. A cop gets killed by some black guy? OMG this is barbaric! Cry
I wouldn't equate what was at worst first degree manslaughter with what is as clear an example of premeditated murder as one is ever likely to find.  That doesn't mean that the response by the stalwart defenders of blue shirts hasn't been over the top and over the line, but the two situations are not identical.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #84 on: December 21, 2014, 08:01:13 AM »

Well..
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #85 on: December 21, 2014, 08:32:48 AM »

Two wrongs don't make a right. Sadly many people forget that.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #86 on: December 21, 2014, 09:10:19 AM »

This was an execution style killing, child. Get a grip.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #87 on: December 21, 2014, 09:22:21 AM »

Remember back to Gabby Giffords shooting and how the discourse was arguing over whether The Rhetoric had lead to her shooting. Sure, they argued, one man pulled the trigger but clearly it was the right-wing environment of hate which really it did. Of course, most conservatives denied this attempt to label cuplability on them and the smarter ones dismisses this as a classic leftie wishie-washie sociological determinism to attack things they don't like.

Yet apparently now some of these same pundits are looking at the actions of individuals and seeing the long arm of society at work. We are no longer individuals. Who knew.

The difference is that Jared Loughner wasn't a member of a militia group and never connected his act to any larger political cause. All he had were some rambling and incoherent YouTube videos, IIRC.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #88 on: December 21, 2014, 10:36:54 AM »

You guys are forgetting the most critical point: this would not have happened if their were good guys with guns to save these police officers.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2014, 10:42:16 AM »

You guys are forgetting the most critical point: this would not have happened if their were good guys with guns to save these police officers.

Wow. Doesn't get more low class than that. This guy snuck up behind the officers.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #90 on: December 21, 2014, 10:42:30 AM »

Being a farmer or taxi driver is more dangerous than being a cop.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #91 on: December 21, 2014, 10:46:43 AM »

This thread is so sad.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #92 on: December 21, 2014, 10:50:30 AM »

Wow. Doesn't get more low class than that. This guy snuck up behind the officers.

It's a tragedy, but I'm a guy on the Internet thousands of miles from the scene of the crime so I'm allowed.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #93 on: December 21, 2014, 11:35:32 AM »

Yes this seems like a fair comment. The escalation of force on both sides has been disturbing. Minorities are scared of the police so they treat them with derision. That means the police are more scared of the minorities so arm themselves to the teeth, which puts further distance between them and the people they purport to protect. From there, the killings and violence is almost as predictable as a snowball rolling down a hill, getting bigger and bigger as it tumbles.

The police should not be seen as a "side" against the people. They should have a key role as protecting the peace so we can enjoy a high quality of life. The idea that all policework is bad is silly. We need people to fight against the scourge of crime - both organised and otherwise. But somewhere along the line in the US (and tbf the police in my city) something has gone terribly wrong.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2014, 11:39:45 AM »

Actually it's a pretty stark and unanswerable counter to the notion that more guns is the solution to gun violence.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2014, 12:08:17 PM »

Once again - can we now stop regarding all cops as "pigs" and respect that many, a vast majority, do hard work and risk their lives and put themselves in danger to protect communities, and not every situation is black and white?

I've still seen liberals on this board still use generic anti-cop rhetoric, albeit more muted, even after these cops were murdered.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2014, 12:16:57 PM »

It's unfortunate, but other people suffer the consequences of bad decisions from prosecutors and juries.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2014, 12:29:13 PM »

Pat Lynch's comments are vile.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2014, 12:32:13 PM »

I remember when those two Bundy supporters killed two police officers in Nevada earlier this year, all the police officers on TV talking about how the Bundy protests should be shut down and the political leaders who approved of the protests had blood on their hands.

Oh wait.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2014, 12:35:50 PM »

Once again - can we now stop regarding all cops as "pigs" and respect that many, a vast majority, do hard work and risk their lives and put themselves in danger to protect communities, and not every situation is black and white?

I've still seen liberals on this board still use generic anti-cop rhetoric, albeit more muted, even after these cops were murdered.

You are the only person who has brought up the word "pig" in this thread other than Patrick, who agrees with you. Also just because two police officers were tragically murdered, doesn't mean we still can't criticize police and violent police behavior.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies