NYPD officers shot dead as "revenge" for Garner decision. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:28:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NYPD officers shot dead as "revenge" for Garner decision. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYPD officers shot dead as "revenge" for Garner decision.  (Read 6497 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« on: December 20, 2014, 06:45:35 PM »

Peaceful protesters last week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj4ARsxrZh8
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 06:58:42 PM »

The article doesn't make a connection between the Gardner case and this incident. Certainly nothing that can be labeled "revenge."

The murderer posted it on his instagram.

patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 07:03:01 PM »

Post shooting and before he shot himself
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 07:11:18 PM »

Where did the other thread on this go?

I deleted it. Didnt like the profane language I used and was honestly interested in seeing what direction another thread would take or if one would even be made at all.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 07:29:45 PM »

a fun game to play with definitions: can this be considered an act of terrorism?  I'd argue not: an assassination of an agent of the state is not terrorism but, rather, an act of political insurgency.

Wow, so deep man...
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 07:33:38 PM »

He killed his girlfriend too. Sounds more like a crazy nut than a well thought out politically-motivated act.

It can be both you know.  Also dont have to be crazy to be a no good piece of $hit.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 07:51:45 PM »

RIP officers Liu and Ramos. A symbol of the tremendous diversity that is the NYPD. The complete lack of respect that so many showed for people in uniform helped lead to this and this chuckle head DeBlasio doesnt help things either.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 08:01:08 PM »

Holy hell those Instagram posts are chilling...jeez. Shooter was obvious filth with a lot of issues.

Plenty of people on twitter either applauding it or engaging in whataboutery.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 08:24:57 PM »

There should be respect for the vast majority who do a very difficult job helping keep the city safe.  Those who abuse their authority should be dealt with and not shielded.

The diversity of he department is highlighted because many like to spin the white racist cop angle, when the department will soon be majority minority.  
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 08:37:51 PM »

Christ, their bodies still warm and the fascists are already exploiting their deaths to attack those who dare criticize the police.

There is criticizing the actions of individual police officers and on the other hand others who marched down the streets of Manhattan calling for dead cops and some assaulting cops while doing their jobs. I personally think some elements of the protests turned the temperature up too high.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 08:52:32 PM »

Christ, their bodies still warm and the fascists are already exploiting their deaths to attack those who dare criticize the police.

There is criticizing the actions of individual police officers and on the other hand others who marched down the streets of Manhattan calling for dead cops and some assaulting cops while doing their jobs. I personally think some elements of the protests turned the temperature up too high.

I went to the protest in Covington. Nobody who participated called for killing cops.

There is responsible, legitimate protests and then others that express themselves in misdirected destruction, rage and foster violence. I dont intend to label protesters in general as irresponsible at all just as I dont think that all police should be cast as villains or angels for that matter.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 09:07:48 PM »

This thread is an atrocity. Lief's posts are disappointing, though.

I look forward to hearing an actual local's input.

I lived here my whole life and I am old enough to remember NYC as a mecca of violence.  I'd prefer it not to go back to that even if it meant hipster exodus Wink 
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 09:18:01 PM »

Surely, the police are allowed their own non violent protests?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 09:25:35 PM »

Many of them feel the mayor has helped create an environment that makes their jobs more difficult and dangerous and that he didnt have their back, so they showed him theirs.  I dont think it is childish when you feel it is your own personal safety at play.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 09:42:32 PM »

Could the both sides please stop using the two still warm bodies as speaking platform?

I tend to disagree Kal. I think it is important to have a discourse about issues and it is even more relevant in times of tragedy.  I find the gun lobby often uses this tactic in the aftermath of school shootings to close off debate and seemingly introspection. Maybe some of the hundreds who were shouting for dead cops in the video I posted will think again.  Maybe some cop will release his damn chokehold the next time.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2014, 09:52:26 PM »

https://twitter.com/robnelsonabc7/status/546472527527432192
https://twitter.com/robnelsonabc7/status/546473505240674304

Disgusting. Bratton's going on about the "anti-police movement" too. It's gonna be open season on blacks in New York the next few weeks.

I guess they'll be shooting a few extra blacks to show them.

This grotesque caricature of police as some mindless killing machine is not helpful and an ugly counter to the one that racists perpetuate for young black men.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2014, 09:59:20 PM »

Remember back to Gabby Giffords shooting and how the discourse was arguing over whether The Rhetoric had lead to her shooting. Sure, they argued, one man pulled the trigger but clearly it was the right-wing environment of hate which really it did. Of course, most conservatives denied this attempt to label cuplability on them and the smarter ones dismisses this as a classic leftie wishie-washie sociological determinism to attack things they don't like.

Yet apparently now some of these same pundits are looking at the actions of individuals and seeing the long arm of society at work. We are no longer individuals. Who knew.

While individuals are ultimately the ones who are responsible and culpable for their behavior, they also don't operate in a vacuum.  The casual chain is quite clear when someone explicitly states their motivations.  I doubt without the recent events that the killer would have made a 4 hour trip up to NYC to kill some cops after killing his girlfriend. Maybe a suicide by cop scenario down in Baltimore but that is clear speculation.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2014, 10:01:46 PM »

https://twitter.com/robnelsonabc7/status/546472527527432192
https://twitter.com/robnelsonabc7/status/546473505240674304

Disgusting. Bratton's going on about the "anti-police movement" too. It's gonna be open season on blacks in New York the next few weeks.

I guess they'll be shooting a few extra blacks to show them.

This grotesque caricature of police as some mindless killing machine is not helpful and an ugly counter to the one that racists perpetuate for young black men.

Obviously you didn't read their tweet. They just declared war.

The conditions faced are as hostile as theyve been in the last 20 years. The allusions to the wartime activities are not to shooting with abandon but Lynch is calling for back up on all activities.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 11:02:52 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2014, 11:37:05 PM by True Federalist »

I think that stylizing cops as some monolithic, out of control death squad is awful. I know many cops and they just want to do the job and get home to their families.  They don't get out of bed hoping to shoot black people, many of them "happen to be black" themselves. You have some overly aggressive and indeed some racists cops.  The same simplistic labeling of groups is what leads to the stereotyping of black men that can lead to their death, since some only see a criminal and not a human being.

(Modified to remove reference to a deleted post - TF)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 11:33:44 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2014, 11:40:45 PM by True Federalist »

Many of them feel the mayor has helped create an environment that makes their jobs more difficult and dangerous and that he didnt have their back, so they showed him theirs.  I dont think it is childish when you feel it is your own personal safety at play.

You do realize that many, if not most, of the Brown/Garner protestors acted as they did because they believed that it was their "personal safety at play"?  Why can't the police force have the basic human empathy to respect that perspective and not throw a fit at the slightest criticism?

As for this murderer, long may he rot in hell.  I'm inclined to agree with Beet and IceSpear on the first page that this was a cowardly, vainglorious act by someone who had already done the unspeakable and decided to hypocritically go out in a "blaze of glory" or whatever. My heart goes out to all three of his victims and their families.

NYPD wants you to forget that they weren't the first victims of this serial killer.

Latest reports Ive seen is that the girlfriend was wounded and alive. Hope she recovers.

patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2014, 11:52:49 PM »

You do realize that many, if not most, of the Brown/Garner protestors acted as they did because they believed that it was their "personal safety at play"?  Why can't the police force have the basic human empathy to respect that perspective and not throw a fit at the slightest criticism?

As for this murderer, long may he rot in hell.  I'm inclined to agree with Beet and IceSpear on the first page that this was a cowardly, vainglorious act by someone who had already done the unspeakable and decided to hypocritically go out in a "blaze of glory" or whatever. My heart goes out to all three of his victims and their families.

NYPD wants you to forget that they weren't the first victims of this serial killer.

Latest reports Ive seen is that the girlfriend was wounded and alive. Hope she recovers.

OK, I guess I didn't have the right facts, but anyways this wasn't some innocent guy who the protesters suddenly convinced to kill a couple of cops. This is a guy who decided to see if he could be known as a martyr rather than the common thug that he was.

Disturbed and violent people have a tendency to rally around and co-opt causes.  I think people with legitimate causes have to be cognizant of that. I dont care if it is pro life activists, globalization opponents or police protesters. Dehumanizing a group of people, whether it be a referral to pigs, monkeys kaffir, invariably leads to violence.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies