The perfect climate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:44:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The perfect climate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The perfect climate  (Read 1398 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2014, 06:49:54 PM »

I'd say the place on earth with the most perfect climate for human comfort would be Mossel Bay, South Africa.

High temps range from 63°F in August and September to 73°F in January and February.  Lows range from 54°F to 67°F.  That means pleasantly cool winters with room temperature summers.  About 1.2-1.5" of rain falls each month, 80% of which falls at night.  As such, the vast majority of days are sunny and pleasant year round.

Its like a nicer version of San Francisco.

Its moderate climate is because it occurs at the confluence of two major ocean currents... The warmer Indian ocean current and the cold Atlantic current.

On the other end of the spectrum...the worst climate goes to the various subantarctic islands in the mid latitudes of the southern hemisphere.  With no land mass all around the globe in these areas,mthemwind blows massive extratropical storms around the Antarctic year round so that places that would be perfectly habitable in the NH are actually quite unbearable down there.  

There are places that rarely get above 55°F and can see snow all year round... And with a literally never ending, stiff gale out of the west.  These are at the same latitudes as Brittany in France or Vancouver in British Columbia.  

The Southern hemisphere is colder at any equivalent latitude compared to its NH counterpart.

What climate is ideal for you?
RR1997
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 06:51:21 PM »

Mediterranean climate
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 06:56:21 PM »

Cool winters, probably with some snow. Not arctic frigid, but proper cold. Temperate autumns and springs (early 60s F) and not especially hot summers, maybe a few days in the late 20s C (82F)... but mostly in the early-mid 20s.

Probably somewhere in the South Island of New Zealand.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 07:16:58 PM »

A subpolar oceanic climate such as Reykjavik, Iceland. Basically climate in which winters get properly cold and snowy, but rarely below 0 F and Summers never exceed the 60's

That or somewhere like Truckee, California which gets almost the same effect, except with mountains.

San Francisco almost fits the bill, except it doesn't get cold enough.

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2014, 07:25:44 PM »

Or, more specifically, Csa/hot-summer Mediterranean climates. I like hot, sunny weather and hate cold winters and overcast weather.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2014, 07:38:56 PM »

Or, more specifically, Csa/hot-summer Mediterranean climates. I like hot, sunny weather and hate cold winters and overcast weather.
Mediterranean climates always have cool, cloudy, humid winters.  Thats what sets them apart from desert or other subtropical climates.

Thats what is remarkable about south western SA... Rainfall is constant and light throughout the year and falls at night four times out of five.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 08:20:59 PM »

Mediterranean climates always have cool, cloudy, humid winters.  Thats what sets them apart from desert or other subtropical climates.

Thats what is remarkable about south western SA... Rainfall is constant and light throughout the year and falls at night four times out of five.

True, but places like Los Angels still get enough sunlight in the winter for me. Om the other hand, Seattle, which is still technically dry enough in the summer to be considered Mediterranean, clearly does not. That why I specified Hot-Summer/Csa over Warm-Summer/Csb. I also like hot desert climates like Las Vegas.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2014, 08:39:26 PM »

See Seattle almost works for me,...but ultimately, the Summers get to warm.

There's only one coastal big city in the whole country that can get the correct Summer climate: San Francisco

Arcata/Eureka are the perfect area in the state though.

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 09:32:20 PM »

See Seattle almost works for me,...but ultimately, the Summers get to warm.

There's only one coastal big city in the whole country that can get the correct Summer climate: San Francisco

Arcata/Eureka are the perfect area in the state though.

Huh The high in the hottest month is 76... I don't think I've ever seen anyone describe a climate like that as being too hot. Tongue
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 10:18:16 PM »

Anywhere with four distinct seasons, like Michigan.  It's one of the reasons I'd never want to leave.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 12:15:20 AM »

A good climate should have:

* Four seasons, because variety is the spice of life. In particular, the fall leaves are the best, and you only get that in four-season land, really.  But of course beach weather and snow are both very important as well. If you don't at least have the possibility of a White Christmas, then well you're not really living.  Irving Berlin says so!
* Generous and steady, relatively-constant precipitation.  Enough to support trees, dense human settlement, lots of wildlife.  Steady because monsoons and seasonal droughts are less pleasant and more of an actual problem than mere temperature swings.

So, basically, Dfa FOR LYFE.  Though the colder parts of humid subtropical– where it'll still snow at least once a year– are also fine. And as much as I require real seasonality and none of this West Coast "it's 65 degrees all year long!" pablum, being near an eastern coast to moderate things just a tiny bit is appreciated.

I think my perfect climate might be Rhode Island, more or less.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 12:35:24 AM »

I think Denver would probably be my favorite.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 12:53:15 AM »

The only thing I'd change about the climate I currently enjoy is I wish the summers were a little less humid, but otherwise it's practically perfect.  Snow is rare and thus is a treat rather than something to endure.  Four distinct seasons.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 02:04:23 AM »

Portland or Seattle.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 11:04:34 AM »

Long summer where it's actually warm to hot and a short cold season, but a cold season nonetheless for variance. I'd basically like to flip what Pennsylvania gets. Preference for dry over wet as well.

I could happily live in a Mediterranean climate, though, and if I really had my choice, that would probably be it.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 05:48:09 PM »

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 06:03:45 PM »

Cool winters, probably with some snow. Not arctic frigid, but proper cold. Temperate autumns and springs (early 60s F) and not especially hot summers, maybe a few days in the late 20s C (82F)... but mostly in the early-mid 20s.

Probably somewhere in the South Island of New Zealand.
Or eastern England
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 07:08:34 PM »

Something very wet and cold, preferably with large amounts of snow in the winter and cool, not humid summers.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 07:22:41 PM »

Something very wet and cold, preferably with large amounts of snow in the winter and cool, not humid summers.

Agreed.  Something in between Portland, Maine, and Portland, Oregon.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 07:31:41 PM »

@TDAS: Truckee, California sounds apt then,...or it would if this drought wasn't a thing.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 09:27:08 PM »

Southeast Alaska... At sea level snow is plentiful but it melts.  Some places average 160" of rain per year (3800mm for you metric people) and summer highs rarely get above 80 with most days around 60 with clouds or low 70s if its sunny.

Keep in mind the "dry" season... April-july still sees more rain per month than NC.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 12:36:42 PM »

Southeast Alaska... At sea level snow is plentiful but it melts.  Some places average 160" of rain per year (3800mm for you metric people) and summer highs rarely get above 80 with most days around 60 with clouds or low 70s if its sunny.

Keep in mind the "dry" season... April-july still sees more rain per month than NC.

It should be noted that where I live is wetter than most of the state. But still, yeah, Alaska sounds awesome.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »

Southern Italy is pretty nice.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 05:55:33 PM »

The Dfc climate is lovely, or in lieu of that its hotter Dfb and Dfa counterparts. Dfd is probably more than I could handle, though I'd still prefer it to anything tropical or involving hot deserts.
Brewer
BrewerPaul

Political Matrix
E: -6.90, S: -6.17

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2014, 06:30:18 PM »

This, with perhaps a bit less emphasis on "wet". I don't mind lots of rain, but I'd prefer dry gray days.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies