Who's next in line to get west-virginianized?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:43:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Who's next in line to get west-virginianized?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who's next in line to get west-virginianized?
Missouri

Iowa

Pennsylvania

Kentucky

Another state

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Who's next in line to get west-virginianized?  (Read 8864 times)
DS0816
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2014, 04:05:34 PM »

Arkansas is more "west-virginianized" than West Virginia.

After the 2008 U.S. presidential election, the governorship, both U.S. senate seats, and three of the four congressional districts were in the Democratic column. After the 2014 midterm congressional elections, they're all in the Republican column.

Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton have something in common: They're the last two-term U.S. presidents from their respective parties who could count on carrying their home states with their presidential-election victories.
HillaryLandslide2016
Rookie

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2014, 04:20:10 PM »

Hillary will win all of these states. She is also very popular in West Virginia and Kentucky because of her name recognition. Clinton won those states twice in a landslide.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2014, 05:29:53 PM »

Kentucky already mostly is (outside of Louisville, Lexington, maybe Frankfurt).

Arkansas of course has trended the same direction as West Virginia. 

Aren't some of KY Dems' best areas actually rural areas (at the state level)?  The Louisville suburbs are very Republican, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, I lived in the Louisville suburbs for a good part of my childhood. and they are very Republican, and I'm pretty sure the Eastern part of the city has many Republican areas.  I've also lived in a rural area and a lot of people over there voted for Gore and Kerry, especially the older people.  African-Americans also make up less than 10% of the population, and are mostly concentrated in Western Louisville, and parts of Western Kentucky.  My graduating class in high school had less than 10 black students out of almost 300 graduating seniors.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2014, 08:53:33 PM »

Aren't some of KY Dems' best areas actually rural areas (at the state level)?

This was true until pretty recently. Now those areas are dwindling, and Jefferson County is getting much more Democratic.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2014, 10:54:10 PM »

Hillary will win all of these states. She is also very popular in West Virginia and Kentucky because of her name recognition. Clinton won those states twice in a landslide.

LOL, Clinton won KY by a landslide?  Just no.
Kraxner
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2014, 02:14:56 AM »

LOL, Clinton won KY by a landslide?  Just no.

Maybe he's talking about the primaries? because if he said primaries, it technically would of been true.

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/national.php?year=2008&f=0&off=0&elect=1

But then again, Obama has pretty much destroyed the democrat brand in Appalachia so its a no-brainer  to even campaign there.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2014, 12:04:31 PM »

But then again, Obama has pretty much destroyed the democrat brand in Appalachia so its a no-brainer  to even campaign there.

Ever hear of a guy named Steve Beshear?
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2014, 12:45:59 PM »

Ever hear of a guy named Steve Beshear?

Beshear can't win a national Democratic primary.  Nor could anyone like him.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2014, 04:39:15 PM »

Kentucky has nationally already gone the same way as West Virginia. Missouri is my pick, since it seems to be heading in that direction. I don't see a strong Republican trend in Iowa or Pennsylvania. If those states are trending either way at all, it's happening too slowly to compare them to West Virginia.
DS0816
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2014, 07:42:29 AM »

Kentucky has nationally already gone the same way as West Virginia. Missouri is my pick, since it seems to be heading in that direction. I don't see a strong Republican trend in Iowa or Pennsylvania. If those states are trending either way at all, it's happening too slowly to compare them to West Virginia.

The men in Missouri voted in 2008 and 2012 along the national outcomes. The women were another story. They underperformed in 2008 and that severely underperformed in 2012.

Missouri and Indiana may have become connected, in terms of margins, as established in 1996 going forward with Virginia and Colorado. I wouldn't write off Missouri yet for Democrats. They just have to win strongly nationally. Missouri would be in position to carry for a winning Democrat the same time as would Indiana. (The 2008 and 2012 margins were no greater than 1.16 percentage points in spread. And that's with consideration they officially colored differently in 2008.)

It's Arkansas that has turned away from the Democrats. Up till Bill Clinton's two elections in the 1990s, the state carried for all prevailing Democratic presidents. But, then again, that state does not have a historically impressive record in carrying for all winners of presidential elections. The state carried for a long list of losing Democratic candidates in presidential elections won by Republicans from 1876 to 1968. Well, in 1968, it was in the column for American Independent George Wallace. Richard Nixon flipped it Republican in 1972. Arkansas was one of nine and one of seven states which carried for a 1952 and 1956 Adlai Stevenson.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies