Is Bill de Blasio done?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:56:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is Bill de Blasio done?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: Will he resign or at least not run again.
Resign

Not run in 2017

Stay put

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 94

Author Topic: Is Bill de Blasio done?  (Read 9113 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2014, 09:19:54 PM »

If he doesn't, there could be further incidents, which could endanger his re-election.

Are you suggesting that NYC police will go around creating "incidents" in order to endanger his re-election? If yes, do you realize you are saying that there are criminals on the police force? If no, I do not quite understand what you mean. Could you elaborate?

They can do political activities that are legal, and undermine the mayor. They can protest, they can plant negative media stories, they can use social media while off duty. There is a ton of ways that the NYPD can express negative sentiments about the mayor while off duty. Their leaders have even more tools and can make life very difficult for de Blasio.

And given their role, they're going to get an outsized amount of attention from the public. And consequently, they can use that attention to shape the narrative about the de Blasio administration.

They should be very careful not to overplay their hand.  am afraid, there are a lot of people in NYC who would find that sort of action by the police union a reason to increase their support of the Mayor. Unless the crime goes up, it is hard for me to see the police becoming very popular in the City.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2014, 12:16:09 PM »

If you want a tipping point in De Blasio's tenure, it might come next week with his decision whether or not to reappoint Judge Laura Johnson, who has made it clear she intends to keep springing protestors who attack cops with no bail.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2015, 01:56:45 PM »

If you want a tipping point in De Blasio's tenure, it might come next week with his decision whether or not to reappoint Judge Laura Johnson, who has made it clear she intends to keep springing protestors who attack cops with no bail.
He has now reappointed her.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2015, 02:56:35 PM »

Why is this an inflection point? You make it sound pivotal - and I understand, prima facie. But I'm not sure how well it would be remembered.

I don't know much, not being a New Yorker (other than that Staten Island hates de Blasio and will send a Republican to Congress, partially because of this, according to some).
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2015, 03:09:54 PM »

Why is this an inflection point? You make it sound pivotal - and I understand, prima facie. But I'm not sure how well it would be remembered.

I don't know much, not being a New Yorker (other than that Staten Island hates de Blasio and will send a Republican to Congress, partially because of this, according to some).

There's really no way to repair the police rift now. He's shown that he's on the side of a judge who believes those who threaten and assault cops should be free.

The public doesn't have to remember it, per se. The Police will make sure they remember it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies