Atheists' Ten Commandments Revealed.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:19:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Atheists' Ten Commandments Revealed.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Atheists' Ten Commandments Revealed.  (Read 6781 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 20, 2014, 11:04:25 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/19/living/atheist-10-commandments/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

1. Be open-minded and be willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.

2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not to believe what you wish to be true.

3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.

4. Every person has the right to control of their body.

5. God is not necessary to be a good person or to live a full and meaningful life.

6. Be mindful of the consequences of all your actions and recognize that you must take responsibility for them.

7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect them to want to be treated. Think about their perspective.

8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations.

9. There is no one right way to live.

10. Leave the world a better place than you found it.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 11:19:33 PM »
« Edited: December 20, 2014, 11:25:06 PM by Deus Naturae »

This is just stupid. Atheism is not a belief system, and people who try to turn it into one (almost always molded after their own beliefs) do all atheists a disservice. Also, #6, 7, 8, and 10 all contradict #9.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 12:11:21 AM »

Yeah, I don't like it when groups tend to come up with imitations of significant points of other groups.  Number 4 is a bit problematic, since it seems to me to be a clear attempt to weigh in on the abortion issue, yet you get diametrically opposed results from following it depending upon whether you view the unborn as people.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 12:53:12 AM »

Number 4 is a bit problematic, since it seems to me to be a clear attempt to weigh in on the abortion issue, yet you get diametrically opposed results from following it depending upon whether you view the unborn as people.

Also if you're in a coma or a vegetative state.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 01:38:13 AM »

These aren't atheist 10 Commandments, these are modern 21st Century secular socially liberal humanist 10 commandments.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 02:54:20 AM »

Much like with Eazy-E's last verse in 'Appetite for Destruction', not all of these are actually commandments. 1, 2, 6, 7, and 10 clearly are, and 4 and 8 imply imperatives, but 3, 5, and 9 are just observations.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 07:52:59 AM »

Much like with Eazy-E's last verse in 'Appetite for Destruction', not all of these are actually commandments. 1, 2, 6, 7, and 10 clearly are, and 4 and 8 imply imperatives, but 3, 5, and 9 are just observations.

Imperatives and observations are actually preferable to 'commandments.'
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 07:56:26 AM »
« Edited: December 21, 2014, 08:01:31 AM by Senator bore »

Imperatives and observations are actually preferable to 'commandments.'

What's the difference between an imperative and a commandment?

The definitions on the internet are:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

So I can't see the difference.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 08:54:36 AM »

The effort that American atheists put in codifying their belief is truly bizarre.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 08:56:11 AM »

I was using the words interchangeably. I too am wondering on what basis afleitch considers them different enough to hold that one is preferable to the other.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 09:45:22 AM »

I was using the words interchangeably. I too am wondering on what basis afleitch considers them different enough to hold that one is preferable to the other.

On the basis that no human, strictly speaking can 'command' another in thought and deed in the manner in which god allegedly can.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 11:25:56 AM »

Reminds me that I never got around to reading The Good Book. I've read parts of it and have seen excerpts, but never cared to sit down and read it.

Whatever you want to call them, The Secular Commandments or Observations or whatever are at least a reminder of the extent to which the Ten Commandments are applicable to an ancient culture very far removed from us today.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 11:49:47 AM »

Reminds me that I never got around to reading The Good Book. I've read parts of it and have seen excerpts, but never cared to sit down and read it.

Whatever you want to call them, The Secular Commandments or Observations or whatever are at least a reminder of the extent to which the Ten Commandments are applicable to an ancient culture very far removed from us today.

And that's what's quite jarring actually. Yes, it's a silly thing to try and better, but so what if people try? Why sneer at it, given the fact that the Ten Commandments are split into those designed to massage a godly ego (including parental honour) and the rest are self evident?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 04:12:45 PM »

Not only that, but if you're going to ape the Decalogue, you might as well pull them in a similar order as much as possible.

3. The scientific method is the most reliable way of understanding the natural world.
    I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. You shall have no other gods before Me.

5. God is not necessary to be a good person or to live a full and meaningful life.
   You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. You shall not worship them or serve them.

1. Be open-minded and be willing to alter your beliefs with new evidence.
   You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain.

(Hard to believe they omitted one reminding us of the need for rest and renewal, but then a lot of people today of all beliefs forget that.)
    Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

8. We have the responsibility to consider others, including future generations.
   Honor your father and your mother.

4. Every person has the right to control of their body.
   Thou shalt not murder.

7. Treat others as you would want them to treat you, and can reasonably expect them to want to be treated. Think about their perspective.
    Thou shalt not commit adultery.

(I think they were trying too hard to avoid duplicating the originals if they didn't include any analogue of this one.)
    Thou shalt not steal.

2. Strive to understand what is most likely to be true, not to believe what you wish to be true.
    Thou shalt not bear false witness.

6. Be mindful of the consequences of all your actions and recognize that you must take responsibility for them.
    Thou shalt not covet.

9. There is no one right way to live.
    (This one's more of an anti-commandment.)

10. Leave the world a better place than you found it.
    (The original ten commandments were a guide to how to do exactly that.  They were supposed to be commandments, not a mission statement like this one is.)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 05:29:40 PM »

This is just stupid. Atheism is not a belief system, and people who try to turn it into one (almost always molded after their own beliefs) do all atheists a disservice. Also, #6, 7, 8, and 10 all contradict #9.

Indeed. Atheism is at its core a denial of the existence of God, and nothing more. #5 is the only one of these commandments that I would say is integral to atheist "theology" above or beyond that of any other "religion".
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 05:39:13 PM »

I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. You shall have no other gods before Me.

You're obviously forcing square pegs into round holes.

The scientific method explains nature based on what is found in nature (i.e., Newton). Not the imagination. And that's why the scientific method works. That's how we explained retrograde motion, to name one thing.

And that's what's quite jarring actually. Yes, it's a silly thing to try and better, but so what if people try? Why sneer at it, given the fact that the Ten Commandments are split into those designed to massage a godly ego (including parental honour) and the rest are self evident?

Yeah, and whoever and whenever Moses was, if he indeed was, WHY did God pull him aside and tell him what to tell everyone else? In other words, what made him right and all the cultures and their stories wrong?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 05:49:47 PM »

I dispute that the latter commandments are self-evident. People on this forum have argued that adultery isn't always wrong for example.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 06:52:35 PM »

You're obviously forcing square pegs into round holes.

The scientific method explains nature based on what is found in nature (i.e., Newton). Not the imagination. And that's why the scientific method works. That's how we explained retrograde motion, to name one thing.

Analogies are never exact.  The first commandment of the Decalogue calls for holding God in primary reverence while the third commandment of this set calls for placing science in that position.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 07:50:54 PM »

The effort that American atheists put in codifying their belief is truly bizarre.

I agree. In my experience this sort of attempt at injecting some sort of dogma into atheism tends to come from left-leaning 20-somethings.

I suppose I can see how some people would miss having a way to lord their supposed moral superiority over others.
Panda Express

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 10:05:12 PM »

These are kind of boring but I guess they're better than "SUNDAY IS HOLY!" and "I AM JEALOUS! DON'T WORSHIP ANYBODY ELSE!"
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 05:07:33 AM »

Another example of the ridiculousness of modern atheism. The desperate attempt to take some sort of moral high ground is, frankly, hilarious.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 06:45:41 AM »

Another example of the ridiculousness of modern atheism. The desperate attempt to take some sort of moral high ground is, frankly, hilarious.

As opposed to the other, literal moral high ground which has so many layers of ridiculousness to it.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2014, 12:06:15 PM »

Christmas is a holiday for Christians. Should atheists be celebrating it?
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 02:20:47 PM »

These are kind of boring but I guess they're better than "SUNDAY IS HOLY!" and "I AM JEALOUS! DON'T WORSHIP ANYBODY ELSE!"

That's only the first 4. What about the last 6?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2014, 02:31:49 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2014, 02:59:31 PM by afleitch »

That's only the first 4. What about the last 6?

Last six? what about those the immediately follow in Exodus 21?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies